cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to the USA, wanna keep my number.

Emperor
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello I got job in the US. They cover for phone + internet up to $100 USD. 

I wanna keep my Canadian number as my permanent number. Would I just add more add-ons to my plan. So i can have calling/texting/data in both Canada and USA? If so, what adds on would make sense? 
I'm also not a big data user 1-2 GB is fine with me. 

Would the "Unlimited U.S. Talk, Text and 3GB Data Bundle" $30 for 15 days make sense?  It would mean I have to pay $60 for extra per month?  Unless there's a better way to do this. 

10 REPLIES 10

Proy33
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am about to encounter the same "problem". My wife and I will move to the states for 2-3 years but i would like to keep my number. I believe we will get some phone reimbursement as well. 

What did end up working for you? 

@Emperor wrote:

Yep thats true. I don't think it would be a problem if they reimburse my $15 per month even though its Canadian bill. But in case they don't, I can essentiall pay $15, delay 90 days, pay $15 and rinse and repeat until I come back to Canada correct? 

I believe that to continue on with your Public Mobile service, this means that the account had to have been only in suspension and for less than 90 days (ie. 90 days would be too late).

Emperor

Yep thats true. I don't think it would be a problem if they reimburse my $15 per month even though its Canadian bill. But in case they don't, I can essentiall pay $15, delay 90 days, pay $15 and rinse and repeat until I come back to Canada correct? 

@Emperor 

Yes, you can remove your payment info and pause service for 88 days (gives you 2 days if there are issues to fix).

Since your employer is allocating $100/month, why not switch to the $15 plan?

Emperor

@Nezgar Thanks, I heard PM you can also pause your account in suspension up to 90 days. So I can  always downgrade and pay the $15 cheapest plan, pause up to 90 days and rinse and repeat to keep it alive? Would that work? 

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Emperor 

I would suggest you order a TextNow SIM when you are in the USA for free calling and texting to and from the US and in Canada.

While in Canada, you can use the TextNow app with the PM SIM in your phone.

TextNow will need a US address to mail the SIM to and a US CC but they do take PayPal to pay for the SIM.

You can port your old number over to TextNow but meanwhile you can purchase the 15 days US Roaming until you receive the SIM.

IMG_0075.png

IMG_0586.jpeg

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@Emperor  Look at porting your existing Public Mobile phone number to a VoIP service like NumberBarn.com, voip.ms, Fongo mobile, or TextNow, then sign up for a new plan from a carrier in the USA. If you have a lot of rewards/loyalty discounts with Public Mobile and you don't want to lose them, you could downgrade your Public Mobile plan to the cheapest $15 plan, and set call forwarding to a new VoIP number from one of the services above. Then, that VoIP service could then forward calls to your USA based mobile if you like, or just send voicemails to you via e-mail. This also gives you the flexibility to use your Public Mobile SIM in Canada whenever you return as well.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

This will NOT be economically viable solution.

You will be paying through the nose for not very reliable US add-ons.

I you really want to keep Canadian number for whatever reasons, you could. It might cost you about CAD$100/year or so with renewing cheapest plan every 90 days (or about).

If you are going to stay in USA get USA SIM and service you need/want.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Emperor    I would not suggest you go with that

The best way to keep your number and use your number is to port the number to VoIP app like Fongo.  $25 to port in and free afterward.  You can use the app to make calls and receive calls (and text, except no 2FA text)

when you are ready to move back to Canada, you can port out your number back to a regular mobile provider

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Emperor 

doesn't make sense. PM only has 15 day US roaming add-on for us in USA.

Need Help? Let's chat.