cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More info on add ons

martihopson
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I’m traveling in US soon , it looks like the only add ons are interesting and affordable 10 day items . For example 1GB data. To be used in 10 days. If I buy two of these , I’ll have 2 GB data then ? And if I was messaging another iPhone user - would this allow me to iMessage without having a roaming text plan ? 

10 REPLIES 10

@martihopson  If you haven't left yet and have a dual SIM phone with eSIM check out Local and regional eSIMs for travellers - Airalo. Combined with a TextNow | Get Free Calling and Texting with TextNow number you'd have fee calling and texting to Canada and USA.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

The US has a much broader selection of cell services. Canada is held captive by a small cabal of operators who won't let others operate without a fight. And they keep winning.

Lots of stores sell little prepaid services. My first one was H2O Wireless, a pure pay as you go service but they have other offerings, where I first experienced the whole idea of prepaid cell service. I recently went to the states and tried out one from ebay called Red Pocket Wireless. Very good experience. It's a limited features plan but they have others. $30 US for one year averaging out to $2.50 US per 30 days. When on hotel wifi or wherever you can also use a voip app for talk and text to conserve those limited features.

martihopson

Thanks , I am not sure I understand the second part of your answer - do you mean buy a prepaid phone in the states ? ( or a SIM card and prepaid plan?) … I had considered but it’s a big unknown for me - I don’t know how /where to do this . But thank you . 

It will get inbound texts regardless. You can only connect to T-Mobile. Nothing else works.

martihopson

Regarding the second part of you answer - the phone will accept regular sms texts when connected to tmobile …. But also ONLY if I buy text plan right ? Like if I only buy data , it is not going to get sms texts is it ? 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @martihopson .  Don't.  You have to buy one and then open ticket with CS agent to buy a new one, same one , if you need it before the 10 days expiry

and if you need 2GB data, why not buy US local data prepaid for cheaper price and easier to use?

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

You can't stack the same add-on. You could buy the 1gb then if and when it runs out before the 10 days then buy the 500mb one. Or the 250. But you can't buy the same one while active.

As for when to re-buy the same one, that has to wait until after it expires and maybe another 12 hours.

Or you ask support to re-buy it for you at any time.

You need an internet connection for imessage from idevice to idevice. That can be wifi or cell data.

The phone will be able to receive normal SMS texts when you're connected to T-Mobile without any add-on.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@martihopson 

just a note that even though one purchases 2gb it doesn't extend the 10 day expiration date. ie. 2gb/20days it will still be 2gb/10days. my suggestion is to buy 1gb and then buy another one just before it's either about to expire or before the data runs out

martihopson

Thank you - 

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

I believe that to be correct regarding the imessaging 

Need Help? Let's chat.