cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Money back on recurring bill payements

TheSterlinger
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I've been paying my public mobile service for the past 5 years on the same card and I'm suppose to be getting 2% cash back for recurring bill payements. I have auto-pay on, its billed on the same date each month. I called my bank and they said that it was on Public Mobile; I've been charged at lower percentage than the 2% for the recurring bill payements. They have indicated that Public Mobile needs to fix their merchant category code as the system is not recognizing it as a recurring payement even though its being billed each month on the same day. This has been going on for 5 years now. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? I have other recurring bill payements with other companies being billed to the same card each month and I don't have this problem, I'm getting the full 2% back.

7 REPLIES 7

ottawa
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Here's a thread I started yesterday (?) asking about the same topic. https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Do-PM-subscription-charges-go-through-CC-...

My CC is 3% on recurring (& gas & groceries) and 1% default. My PM went through at 1% (years ago) so I switched to a different card that gives me 1.5% on everything. I have on occasion bought a PM top-up voucher at Loblaws or wherever (to get 3% as groceries) but it's more work and I decided not worth it for only an extra 1.5%. In the other thread, someone mentioned a card that gives 5% at 7-11, now THAT might be worth buying a voucher (especially with the newish "instant top-up"). See other thread for details.

I'm quite sure it's on PM, every merchant has a merchant code (some more than 1) identifying the category. The cashback is tied to that code, and sometimes you just have to try and see. It's not always obvious, e.g. is Giant Tiger or some independent greengrocer considered groceries on the CC?, and what about Wal-Mart (the answer used to be: there are 2 kinds of WM in Canada, and 2 kinds of CC; 1 of the 4 combinations went through as groceries/supermarket, the other 3 of the 4 didn't). PM could probably change their merchant code if they wanted, but there's no incentive to them.

@TheSterlinger wrote:

I have auto-pay on, its billed on the same date each month

Public Mobile payments for autopay don't actually happen on the same day each month.

@hTideGnow wrote:

HI @TheSterlinger 

there is a different between push or pull payment for recurring bill to be eligible for cash back.  PM autopay does not consider the proper recurring payment, could be because of the 30 days, could be that PM never really preauthroized credit card for the charge, all PM did was to schedule a payment on PM system and pull a fund from credit card, so it doesn't count. Many asked before with different credit card and same answer.  So, you won't get the 2% cash back for recurring charges with PM payment

If it were classified as a recurring bill payment, I suspect that Public Mobile's payment processing fee would be higher.

TheSterlinger

@hTideGnow @Handy1
Thanks for the responses it makes sense, bummer though.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @TheSterlinger 

there is a different between push or pull payment for recurring bill to be eligible for cash back.  PM autopay does not consider the proper recurring payment, could be because of the 30 days, could be that PM never really preauthroized credit card for the charge, all PM did was to schedule a payment on PM system and pull a fund from credit card, so it doesn't count. Many asked before with different credit card and same answer.  So, you won't get the 2% cash back for recurring charges with PM payment

TheSterlinger

Ah I never though of that...

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@TheSterlinger  2% back from the credit card you mean ? PM is pre paid and not seen as re  accruing  bill .and that maybe the problem unlike Koodo  or Telus post  paid plan 

Need Help? Let's chat.