cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing incoming text messages now and then

mmarufhossain
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi team,

I'm having trouble receiving incoming text messages. Randomly I'd receive some and not receive some others. No pattern really. I tried switching to a different app, but that didn't solve the problem. Any recommendation? Thank you so much.

12 REPLIES 12

NicBakker
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I use an android phone, v11.  Sometimes texts do not come in at all, sometimes they show up days later.

@mmarufhossain @NicBakker   did you try to clear your text cache?

What kind of you do you have?

Also did the text came late or not came at all?  usually if text are undeliverable at the moment, the server will keep it and re-attempt to deliver in couple hours.  It will keep trying for 5 days before dropping the text

Also, you server the senders user the correct way to send? Traditional SMS instead of iMessage/RCS?

NicBakker
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have this same issue.  My boss thinks I'm ignoring him.  My kid asked me today why I didn't answer his message.  I'm starting to think that my landlord hasn't gotten back to me because he never got my text.  I had this issue with Koodo and its why I switched to Public in the first place.  Even bought a new phone to rule out a hardware problem.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@mmarufhossain 

Though mentioned try troubleshooting in this order:

1. Reboot phone.
  2. Toggle airplane mode on/off.
  3. Clear your app cache.
  4. Check your messaging app settings for blocked #'s etc...
  5. Perform a network reset. ( I leave this to second last before a factory reset.)
  6. Reboot in safe mode to determine if it's a third party app (ie.Textra) or the phone('s).
  7. If it's the same few contacts back up any message threads you need and complately delete the threads and contacts from your phone that are affected. Reboot and re-add the contacts.
  8. Try a reprovisioning trick....remove SIM card, place in a different phone, text, return to your phone. or  Makes a manual top up payment to your account (choose "other" amount), confirm and submit. or  Log into your self serve account. Go to the plans or usage page and click on lost/stolen. Suspend your service**. Log out/in. Resume your service. Log out and reboot.
  9. **Caution.....rewards program customers when suspending via lost/stolen will cause a glitch and your rewards will not automatically apply upon renewal. You will have to wait until after renewing your plan to contact customer support and ask for them to be applied manually.
  10. If all else fails before considering a factory reset and backing up your data contact customer support to reset your account and reprovision your sim card.

To contact customer support : Submit a support ticket via SIMon the chat bot Click here 

Or if you cannot submit a ticket via SIMon then Click here   ....for additional member supplied info.

JL9
Mayor / Maire

When this happens, do you sometimes get a block of messages all at once from these friends all at once? 

Hi @mmarufhossain does the issue from 1 particular friend or other as well?  If it is network issue, PM server will save the message re-try for 5 days.  If just from 1 friend, it could be an issue from the sender

Meow
Mayor / Maire

DATA has to be enabled for MMS only. SMS should work with regular cellular service.

Do you miss SMS from particular numbers or providers or it is really random?

I use phone's app and never had any SMS/MMS issues. The more simple app (default) the more reliable it is.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@mmarufhossain 

Check to see if your Cellular Data is enable while sending/receiving SMS/MMS text. It won’t eat up your data.

The default texting app is more reliable since it is in your operating system.

@mmarufhossain  - are these regular SMS or group or MMS texts?

For group and MMS texts your data needs to be turned on.

Maybe review this article for issues with Textra, and not receiving texts

https://xtrium.com/textra-not-receiving-messages/

But you said you switched to the andoird message app. Did you check if your Chat Features or RCS is enabled?

mmarufhossain
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi @hTideGnow @esjliv thanks so much!

I'm an Android user and use Textra app mostly. Tried switching to default message app, but it didn't solve. This problem has been for last couple of months. First I didn't realize but later got confirmation from friends who regularly text me.

I don't have a second phone, and also because the issue is random, I'm not sure if testing in another phone will solve the issue at this time.

Any idea what should be the default message settings? I'm reluctant to factory reset the phone, but will wait before i do it. Thanks.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi @mmarufhossain  how long has this been?   Do you know if people sending you regular SMS or they sent you iMesaage or RCS not aware you can't receive those?

And you have another phone to test it out for couple days?

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@mmarufhossain  if you are an iphone user..and you turn your data off occasionally, then it is recommended to turn off iMessage altogether and use regular text messaging instead.

To do this, go to Settings > Messages and toggle iMessage off.

If you prefer to use iMessage, then you can perform the following steps to fix the issue:

1. Connect to the internet using WiFi or Data.
  2. Go to Settings > Messages and toggle iMessage OFF.
  3. Turn your iPhone off completely, then turn it back on.
  4. Go back into Settings > Messages and toggle iMessage ON.
  5. Make sure “Send as SMS” is also turned ON.

If you are an android user, check if you have your Chat Feature on. If so, turn that feature off.

Disable your Chat Features: 

1. Open Messages
  2. Tap More options > Settings > Chat features
  3. Turn Enable chat features off

Otherwise, finicky issues with text may be resolved with a restart of your phone, or a reset of your network settings.

Hope something here fixes your issue.

Need Help? Let's chat.