cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mic during calls is muffled and quiet

april0423
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

So context. I've been with public for almost two years now and before this everything has been going perfectly fine. I live in Edmonton and I've never had any of these problems before. My phone is a Xiaomi. 

So a couple months ago my phone's charging port needed to be replaced because it became loose. After the replacement I've had several problems: 

1. Calling in general: I can text perfectly fine but sometimes calls don't go through for me, ie. I will call a number and i don't even hear the ringing sound. It's been a couple weeks and this has mostly gone away and magically fixed itself but I thought it was worth mentioning Incase it was relevant 

2. My mic during calls is muffled and quiet: this is my primary problem at the moment. When I call or receive calls, I can hear the person on the other side perfectly fine but they always say my voice is super quiet, to the point where it's almost impossible to hear me. When I use my headphones to call, this problem goes away. And so I thought it was my mic's problem so I made sure to clean it out but it hasn't helped. Something interesting to note is that when I record videos or call someone using messenger or Whatsapp, the mic is perfectly fine. And so it leads me to think this is a public mobile problem? 

Can anyone help me? Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@april0423 Some good suggestions already provided here. I agree taking it back to the repair place is prudent. It's interesting that whatsapp or messenger calls don't exhibit the problem, but it could be this: Phones nowadays usually have multiple microphones, and use extra mics positioned away from your mouth to capture the ambient/background noise to remove from the mic you talk into. The phone app will use them all, but maybe apps like whatsapp and messenger use different, or only 1 mic.

Anyhow - to further aid in your testing you can call an echo test number: 226-244-4444 - initially it will record a segment of audio, then it will play it back. Further menu options will offer a realtime echo test as well.

@Yummy wrote:

Definitely it is hardware issue. No way to do anything with PM service.

Most likely whoever 'fixed' your phone (and they really Fixed it 😪) did not do proper job; either they burned something with soldering iron or shortened something with excess solder or some connection is loose.

It might be tough to fix as you would have to know exact schematic for your phone...

Let us know, if you manage to fix it, what was the issue!

I would sort of agree....but soldering...I doubt it. Most are all snap connectors. 

Definitely it is hardware issue. No way to do anything with PM service.

Most likely whoever 'fixed' your phone (and they really Fixed it 😪) did not do proper job; either they burned something with soldering iron or shortened something with excess solder or some connection is loose.

It might be tough to fix as you would have to know exact schematic for your phone...

Let us know, if you manage to fix it, what was the issue!

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

My immediate thought is.....who ever fixed the charge port did not put your phone back together properly. 

Do some googling. 

https://technowikis.com/44056/microphone-problems-xiaomi-redmi-note-note-doesnt-sound-good

Also see if iFixIt has any solutions. https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Xiaomi_Phone

Good luck, taking it back to the shop. They rarely admit fault and will throw the onus back on you. 

Who fixed it....a kiosk in a mall or??

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I doubt it's a PM-side issue, especially given that you haven't had service issues for years and then new issues cropped up after the phone repair.

My first thought is that the repair affected other components in the device. I'd be inclined to contact the repair shop again, if you haven't already, and explain the issues you're facing since the repair.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@april0423 

I have a feeling that the issue is with your phone/hardware.  Easiest way to figure whether hardware issue versus PM service problem is to put the Public mobile SIM card in another working phone.  If the issues persist, then it is PM problem.  If solved, then your phone is the problem.  

Need Help? Let's chat.