Mexico usage

Charly-72
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Does public have service in Mexico 

6 REPLIES 6

funpig1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Sansan @Charly-72 

I have tested the call forwarding to TextNow at home and it works. I plan to use this on my upcoming trip to Japan.  I have been discussing this setup with fellow travelers in a travel forum.

@funpig1 thanks for the information.  Yes most of us here already have textnow.  I have heard that PM calling forwarding rarely work so that is an issue.  I've never tried this feature I can't confirm whether any of them do work. 

But I hope your detailed instructions will work for anyone that tries it.

funpig1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Charly-72 @hairbag1 @Sansan @hTideGnow 

EDIT & UPDATE:  I read on Reddit that the following setup will work if you are in a different country. However, when TextNow figures out what you are doing, they will deactivate your TextNow account.  (Open another account with different email address?) TextNow's policy is only to permit calls/texts within the US and Canada.

Here is a possible workaround for you to receive calls made to your PM number while you are in Mexico and to make calls from Mexico back to Canada. 

How to set up?

1. Download the TextNow app and obtain a free Canadian telephone number. 

2. Set up a "variable Call Forward" from your PM number to your TextNow number. You can scroll down to the bottom of this page and use the code "*004...  ". You have to set the X number of seconds before the PM call is automatically call forwarded to TextNow.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/call-forwarding

3.  When you are in Mexico or anywhere else in the world for that matter, all you need to do is find a strong free Wi-Fi source or buy yourself a cheap mobile data Sim or eSim. 

5.  This is also a workaround if you need Wi-Fi calling in an area where you have very poor PM signal.

How does it work?

A.   When somebody phones your PM number and you are still in Canada, you can just answer your phone as before.

B.   On the other hand, if you are not in Canada or do not have a good PM signal or simply don't answer the PM call, after X number seconds, the call will be automatically forwarded to the TextNow number.  Your TextNow app on your phone will now start to ring as long as you have access to Wi-Fi or mobile data. It doesn't matter if it is in Mexico or anywhere else in the world or in like a concrete bunker in a PM dead zone, as long as you have Wi-Fi. 

C.   If you still fail to answer your phone, the the call will go to the TextNow voicemail. You can access the voicemail at any time on the TextNow app.

D.   If you wish to make an outgoing call, you just open the TextNow app and just dial the intended recipient's phone number, as long as that number is in Canada (and I believe the US if I read the spp correctly, but I have not verified). The TextNow call is a Wi-Fi call which for all intents and purposes is the same as a Canadian to Canadian telephone call.

As long as you have access to Wi-Fi, you will be able to receive the incoming call made to your PM number and you will be able to call out from TextNow to any number in Canada. 

The advantage of this setup is that people can continue to contact you by simply dialing your PM number.  There's no need to notify all of your friends or clients etc about the TextNow number. Also, unless you pay to lock in your TextNow number (not cheap) or use it on a regular basis to keep the same number refreshed, the TextNow number can be removed and you have to obtain a new free TextNow number. You just need to change your call forwarding to the new free number and not have to go through the hassle of notifying everybody about the changed TextNow number. They just simply call you on your PM number and not know the difference.

Good luck.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Charly-72 

download the free TextNow for use in Mexico using local wifi or separately purchased data. You be given opportunity to select a free Cdn number so others can call/text you and you can reply...for free.

Another option is to use WhatsApp using free local wifi...but others need to use it too.

Depending on how long you're going for..you can get a local sim and a cheap Telcel plan for about $20 Cdn for 30 days, includes some data and unlimited calling to Canada and US.

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

@Charly-72  no sorry. You have to use the hotels wi-fi .

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Charly-72 

no service in Mexico.  PM has roaming for US only

You need to get local data there or use Travel esim

Need Help? Let's chat.