cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMS problem as of 29 February, 2024

aabasiry
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi Folks,

I noticed that I am unable to send MMS with photos as of today, 29 February. Looking through the recent posts I found many other Public Mobile users complaining about the same thing recently.

Something changed in Public Mobile network that disabled the MMS sent/receive.

They keep asking "what phone do you have?" . It does NOT really matter!!

My phone and the phones of many others was sending MMS just fine a few days ago and now it doesn't. So obviously the problem is NOT with the phones..

Any updated from PM??

22 REPLIES 22

ksesame

...ok saving was mentioned in the article, but selecting was not. 'Selecting' meaning that if after saving the new APN settings, your phone may simple add it to a list of optional APN setups, and presents you with this list to select from. You must select the new Public Mobile one you have just created to be the active APN. Otherwise, despite inputting the new APN settings for Public Mobile, it may continue to default to the Telus APN, or whatever previous APN you may have used.  And again, then restart your device to fully activate it. 

ksesame

IMPORTANT STEPS LEFT OUT OF APN SETTING INSTRUCTIONS

Correction to my APN settings post yesterday: These solved my lack of data, but not my MMS fully. I seem to have fully solved it now. Read on.

For all those with MMS / texting problems, make sure you follow this APN article linked below closely, BUT ALSO, ensure you 'save' after changing the settings, AND select the new APN settings or your phone may default to the old APN settings. THEN ALSO restart your phone for the new settings to fully function. Saving and selecting are not mentioned in the article or by others who gave me advice to change the APN settings, and not till a day later did I realize why my MMS was only partially working, intermittently. It was because I hadn't restarted my phone. Restarting made MMS fully functional including messages with images and video. 

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/set-up-data-on-an-android-phone

ksesame

Thanks Dre64. Providing a PM article link was even better for me than the community advice which got me partial results. When my data wasn't working at all, the APN adjustments I learned from the community got me data, but didn't include the last step to reboot after making those changes. Seems rebooting has now made texting work more consistently. Lesson learned, it's probably best to follow steps on thoroughly laid out Public Mobile articles, and to provide links to others like you have.

Dre64

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/set-up-data-on-an-android-phone

This didn't work at first until I changed the APN type to default,supl,mms

Now working on a OnepPus 10T

ksesame

Edit: Under further investigation it was due to not having data on, which required 'MMS when data off'. Not sure why data was required to text certain people. I was able to text another iPhone owner, with MMS on and off, and data on and off. He is also a public mobile subscriber though, if that's the key. Texting between PM subscribers doesn't need data but texting non-PM subscribers does?  

Hoping this adds some help in getting closer to the answer to your original concern aabasiry. 

ksesame

I solved an MMS problem today for my phone, which is an older very basic Teracube 2e. I was not able to send messages (receiving ok) to some family members, I figured either because they weren't on Public Mobile or because they had iPhones. I suspect the latter, since I think communicating with iPhones requires MMS due to the iMessaging incompatibility. Below is my APN settings, but I also then had to go into my data settings and turn on MMS. I think either the required restart after my transfer of my phone number from Telus, or the change of APN info, turned off my MMS setting. 

Name: Public Mobile

APN: sp.mb.com

Proxy: Leave blank

Port: Leave blank

Username: Leave blank

Password: Leave blank

Server: Leave blank

MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc

MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18

MMS port: 80

MCC: 302

MNC: 220

Authentication type: Leave blank

APN type: Leave blank

golfball
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@will13am I didn't know about the workaround. Thanks for informing.

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

That is really strange. Maybe one last thing to try is to reset all APN settings to default, then if there's a default one, try to modify it to make the necessary changes.

I'm grasping at straws at this point. Hope you can get it sorted.

aabasiry

Enabling IPv4/IPv6 didn't make any difference and didn't solve the problem.. 😕

aabasiry

@sheytoonThanks for reviewing the setting.

I copied them exactly per PM instructions. It is the only APN in the list. All other APNs deleted.

I will try enable IPv4/IPv6 and report back.. Thank you..

@aabasiry dang, that all looks right. You could try enabling dual stack IPv4/IPv6 for APN protocol, though it's a long shot.

Did you delete all the other APNs that have "mms" mentioned under APN Type? I'm wondering if the phone is confused and still trying to use an old APN at the same time?

aabasiry

Hi @hTideGnow 

My phone is not that old. Bought October, 2021. Running Android 10

It has been running just fine until PM recent "upgrade" to the MMS. Totally unacceptable because PM are not really in the business of telling us which phone to use and which not if it was working fine in the first place.

Their suggested MMS APN settings also doesn't work..

HI @aabasiry 

what phone do you have? it matters.  did you read this?

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Picture-and-Group-Messaging-End-Date-Fe...

older phone will have trouble with MMS

aabasiry

Hi, here is the screen shots of the APN settings (entered manually)01.png02.png03.png

@will13am I wish I knew. Sadly this is not a project I am close to, as it's not related to the RAN.

@aabasiry Can you post a screenshot of your APN settings, in case something else was missed?

aabasiry

I tried the new APN values (entered manually), rebooted the phone. Still MMS doesn't work. Don't really know why PM did that change allowing only a few phone models to be compatible with the changes and leaving everyone else in the dust. The list of the compatible phones are in the announcement (and it is NOT many models).

@sheytoon wrote:

Exactly as @will13am said. All phones can still support MMS. Some users will need to manually make the following changes:

• MMS proxy: mmscproxy.mobility.ca
  • MMS port: 8799

@sheytoon , do you know why this change was done?  Was it really necessary?  It is quite disruptive to those who are not tech savvy and have older devices or devices that have terrible software support.  

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

Exactly as @will13am said. All phones can still support MMS. Some users will need to manually make the following changes:

• MMS proxy: mmscproxy.mobility.ca
  • MMS port: 8799

@golfball wrote:

It does matter what phone you have. Public Mobile has disabled MMS on older phones and likely won't be reverting that change.

Please refer to this announcement: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Picture-and-Group-Messaging-End-Date-Fe...

Public Mobile did not disable MMS on older phones.  They implemented an APN change recently that affects MMS.  On newer phones that are still receiving software updates, the APN change is rolled out in the software updates.  For those using older phones that no longer receive software updates, a manual APN change is required.  

golfball
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

It does matter what phone you have. Public Mobile has disabled MMS on older phones and likely won't be reverting that change.

Please refer to this announcement: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Picture-and-Group-Messaging-End-Date-Fe...

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Sorry, tend to disagree.

I just tested MMS and SMS and it works perfectly (26.feb 18:25)

Data has to be ON in order to send MMS even though MMS will not use your data allowance. Receiving end does not have to have data on (at least not in my test).

TheSterlinger
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

there has been a change. Only newer phones will be able to use MMS. 

You can try cheating your APN settings why doing the following:

if you’re on iPhone go to settings and click cellular then click cellular data network, then press reset settings.

If you’re on Samsung go to settings and go to connections and go to mobile networks, then click access port names, then press the three lines and click reset to default.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/picture-messaging-updates

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/get-help/articles/set-up-data-on-an-iphone

Need Help? Let's chat.