cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost phone, want the same number due to Two-Factor issues.

sheldonmoores
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My other half lost her phone and is now completely locked out of all of her accounts, most importantly her Google account which has all of her stored photos and her email as well.

Two factor authentication is done through her phone and unfortunately was not set up properly so there is no backup email and no access codes (lesson learned the hard way for us).

We purchased a new phone today and a new Public Mobile SIM, but did not set anything up. At this point we have done nothing else. We are hoping to get her old phone number and plan back which would then allow her to access her Google accounts. The guy at Walmart said it wouldn't be possible and wanted us to just make a new account right there and start from scratch.

Is that possible? How should we proceed to make sure we do this right? I'd greatly appreciate if someone can walk us through this!

Thanks so much everyone, it's been a terrible day.

20 REPLIES 20

@sheldonmoores Thanks for letting us know. Often times, we don't hear back from users so we don't get to know what happened. Good on you to stay active on here to keep us in the loop. I am  glad it worked out for you. 

@sheldonmoores Good to hear you were successful and thanks for letting us all know how you made out too!

sheldonmoores

Hey everyone. Just wanted to return with an update.

We reached out to CS and within 30 mins everything was fixed. She recovered her old phone number which then allowed us to walk through the 2FA and restore to access her Google account.

This was a valuable lesson learned for us in regards to 2FA and not trusting other devices. We'll be working to make sure all of her life isn't tied to one trusted device going forward.

Thanks again for all of your help and advice!

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@sheldonmoores  - that is very upsetting that the retail agent told you needed to create a whole new account. That would not have solved your current issue, and would have created a secondary account! Gesh...🙄

Did the phone have any screen lock on it with any messages on how to return if lost?

If not, hopefully someone who may find it will be savy and honest enough to find out who it belongs to and get in contact with you. Maybe it will be returned. 🤞

Submit a ticket by starting a Private Message by links as @hairbag1 or @NDesai provided to get in contact with Customer Support.

Perhaps keep an eye out with any credit card or financial institution transactions, and look into changing passwords for those accounts that are connected to that phone number.

Good luck!

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@sheldonmoores 

This is not as difficult as you think....have the CSA perform the sim swap for you. After the initial verification in lines #1 and #2 below you will be asked to answer 3 out 4 additional verification questions not readily accessible in the self serve account but that you should know or have access to including payment info associated to the card on file registered for autopay or used for payments. Once you answer those questions the CSA will swap out the sim card and you will access to the phone number and service again.

Spoiler

Send a private message...   Contact the CSA's (formerly moderators) by sending a private message and leave a detailed message explaining your issue and the info to verify your account by including the following information:  

1. Full name and address on pm account. ( Or province and postal code for newer accounts.)
  2. Email, phone # and pin #.

If  you cannot remember your pin # include at least three ( if they apply)of the following:

1.  Date of birth (n/a on newer accounts.)
  2. Last payment, date, amount, type and last 4 digits.
  3. Alternate phone number if any.
  4. Security question and answer.
  5. Plan amount, any add ons or promos on account.
  6. Last 4 digits of sim card.
  7. Any rewards in your account.
  8. Autopay y/n?
  9. Account #.
  10. Frequently called/texted phone numbers in the last 30 days.  

The average wait time is 2 to 4 hours but be prepared to wait up to 48 hours for non urgent requests. Current wait times are about one hour and are probably even less as I have had some very quick responses in tne past week.

Keep an eye on your private message box the envelope icon next to your avatar for a little number to pop indicating a message from the CSA's (formerly moderators.) Responding promptly will speed up service times.

Do not post any of this info in the community only in your private messages when communicating or contacting the CSA/Moderator_Team.

To send a private message to the CSA's (formerly moderators) click below
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

sheldonmoores

That's a very good point! Thanks for that @softech

Honestly we are beyond happy to hear that this should result in getting her phone number back. Once that occurs we're pretty hopeful that there won't be any more obvious barriers to getting into her Google account.

Thanks a bunch, I'll be sure to come back with an update!

@sheldonmoores wrote:

That's correct. 

We actually still have access to her PM Self Serve account thankfully. But the connected email is inaccessible.

Excellent - that will help gather any account specific information to help authenticate you. The official support hours are 6AM to 10PM Eastern Time, so you might not receive a response until the morning. Good luck!

Edit: @softech 's idea to create a temp new email account is a good one... Have the CS agents just assist changing the email address - then you could  even do the SIM card change yourself, using the email address for verification.

@sheldonmoores wrote:

That's correct. 

We actually still have access to her PM Self Serve account thankfully. But the connected email is inaccessible.

@sheldonmoores but there still cannot request SIM Change using the system  😞    

I suggest you to create a temp Gmail account for PM Self serve just in case.  Open a ticket with PM support for the SIM change and the possible email address change for Self-Serve.

Good Luck... I hope you get your Google account back. Give us update.. Give us good news  🙂

sheldonmoores

That's correct. 

@pkaraa wrote:

Try clicking the forgot the password link on login into account screen and try all the emails your better half was using at the time of account creation, keep checking the SPAM folder too for password reset link.

As per OP, the email address associated with the account (gmail) is also protected by 2FA preventing login to their email account... Indeed it sounds like CS Agent assistance is needed, even if they can guess the password to get into the self-serve portal...

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Contact support agents by direct msg to CSA_agent .

Try clicking the forgot the password link on login into account screen and try all the emails your better half was using at the time of account creation, keep checking the SPAM folder too for password reset link. If you get the link and password is reset then it is easy. Just login to self serve and change SIM option is the best way to get back your number.

@sheldonmoores wrote:

As for the last part of your reply, that will be an issue as we no longer have access to that email due to Two-Factor. Is this something that can be worked around via a customer service agent?

Yes, they can manually verify your account once you provide all the details they ask for such as Address or PIN code. Do let them know you would also like to change the email address if another account without 2FA can make it easier. Lot of people forget their password, so they have other ways of verifying accounts. 

@sheldonmoores wrote:

we will probably have to reach out to a real person via a ticket for this as her PM email is the Gmail which she is now locked out of lol. Oh my.

If you have not activated the new SIM card yet, your first goal is to get signed into the self-serve account for the previous line: https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/

Get her to think hard 2-3 of the most likely passwords. More tries than that are likely to lock out the account for 1 hour +. Enter the email address and password guesses at that site. If you are successfully able to login, then you are in luck. You can verify the account information, billing information, etc - all information that will be helpful to provide to a CS Agent to verify you (she) own the account.

There is an option "Change Sim Card" which can normally be used to switch a new SIM card to be used on an existing account yourself, but this requires a verification text to be sent to the phone with the old SIM card (which you do not have) or your registered email address (which you do not have access to...)

With or without the above information, I recommend bypassing the chatbot/automated ticketing system and send a message directly to the CS agents using your community account. Watch for new message notifications in the top right with the message or bell icons, refresh every hour or so in case you are not receiving notifications by email.

Here is the link to use to send the CS Agents a message directly:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Good luck!

@sheldonmoores if she has been using just trusted device and not SMS.. I am not sure how easy to restore the account in your case

you have tried to start the process yet?  https://accounts.google.com/signin/recovery

and read the tips?   Tips to complete account recovery steps - Google Account Help

sheldonmoores

I have since learned that she was so paranoid she did not have any other trusted devices. Just the phone which is now lost. We've tried everything and there is no other workaround  outside of getting that same phone number and HOPEFULLY that will allow her to get through her 2FA.

Thanks for the advice, we will probably have to reach out to a real person via a ticket for this as her PM email is the Gmail which she is now locked out of lol. Oh my.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@sheldonmoores   Your other half only access her Google photos and email on the phone and not on any computer?  If so, she should still have access to Google using the computer she has been using.

For 2FA,  did you other half setup the Google account user ONLY of her SMS as the 2FA?   If so, it is easier.  If she use the Google Authenticator on the phone, then I think it might be tricker.

Anyway, if you have not setup a new PM account yet but just bought the new SIM, then it is good.  Just login to My Account and request Change SIM first.   But Change SIM require using Email address for 2FA on PM.  Did she use her Gmail to setup the PM Self-serve account?  Can she access Gmail at the moment on some computer?  

If she used Gmail to  setup the PM Self-serve account and unable to access Gmail, then should wouldn't be able to complete the Change SIM online.  She likely have to open ticket with PM and have them to manually process the Change SIM request.  To open ticket with PM:

Spoiler

1. For faster response (2-48 hours), Click on the bubble in the lower right to request CS Agent assistance, or use this direct link: https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

Start with typing "Submit a ticket", click "Contact Us", click "Other" from the choices, click "Click here to submit a ticket". Then follow to complete the ticket submission.

2. Or you can Send a private message to the CS Agent here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

**Monitor your Community inbox, envelope on the top right, after ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply and work with you  via messaging there

sheldonmoores

I figured as much. I decided to just buy the phone and card and not set anything up until I spoke to you all, for that reason. I'm glad I did.

As for the last part of your reply, that will be an issue as we no longer have access to that email due to Two-Factor. Is this something that can be worked around via a customer service agent?

@sheldonmoores wrote:

My other half lost her phone and is now completely locked out of all of her accounts, most importantly her Google account which has all of her stored photos and her email as well.

Two factor authentication is done through her phone and unfortunately was not set up properly so there is no backup email and no access codes (lesson learned the hard way for us).

We purchased a new phone today and a new Public Mobile SIM, but did not set anything up. At this point we have done nothing else. We are hoping to get her old phone number and plan back which would then allow her to access her Google accounts. The guy at Walmart said it wouldn't be possible and wanted us to just make a new account right there and start from scratch.

Is that possible? How should we proceed to make sure we do this right? I'd greatly appreciate if someone can walk us through this!

Thanks so much everyone, it's been a terrible day.

The salesperson at Walmart gave you false information.  You do not need a new acccount, nor should you have activated a new one. The person only said that to receive a sales commision.   You do need to purcahse a new SIM card.  The SIM card can be attached to your current account by using your Self Serve account.  However, you will need access to the e-mail address that is linked to your Public Mobile account to complete this change.  Or is that e-mail address your Gmail/Google address?

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@sheldonmoores You will need to contact PM CS Agent so they can get your account sorted and you can then update the new sim card number. Provide them detailed info so they can verify your account. 

Here’s when and how to contact our Customer Support Agents:

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to our Agents. Click here to get started.
  • Alternatively, you can send a private message to our Agents by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

You'll need to get ahold of Customer Support Agent (CSA) to start process of their help. Top of this page, click Get Help / Chat with Simon. Let them know your predicament and I'm sure they can help.

Alternative....https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.