cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Koodo Mobile Oshawa

Lar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Anyone ever  heard of a Koodo mobile store charging for VIP setup for Public Mobile?  $30 discounted to $15 for porting the number over plus added $5 onto the SIM.

8 REPLIES 8

@Alan_K   I know a refund was issued to @Tapan676  by pm but whether a follow up on that location was ever done I am not sure I would have to look back to see if it was mentioned. The other member from a couple weeks ago in would have to look for but I believe I tagged both you and Tiana in my response.

Once again thank you for responding and clarifying that koodo and other retail partners should not be charging activation fees to public mobile customers. I will tag you if I find the other customer that was charged....i believe her friend had written the post because she was a busy mom with a sick child.

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@darlicious wrote:

@Alan_K   Thank you for reaching out to @Lar  in regards to koodo charging fees to activate public mobile customers. This is the third time in the past 6 weeks that new customers have asked the community if this is a normal practice. Im afraid to have to start answering "yes". To  my knowledge no fees are to be charged by public mobiles retail partners. Koodos policy states all customers who activate in store will be charged a $30 fee. There is no exception specifically for pm. Some clarification on this matter would be appreciated. Im sure @Tapan676  and the community would be interested in the official word from public mobile.

@darlicious @Lar There is no activation fee for Public Mobile -- we need to have conversations with the retailers you had this experience with so definitely let me know the location.

@Alan_K   Thank you for reaching out to @Lar  in regards to koodo charging fees to activate public mobile customers. This is the third time in the past 6 weeks that new customers have asked the community if this is a normal practice. Im afraid to have to start answering "yes". To  my knowledge no fees are to be charged by public mobiles retail partners. Koodos policy states all customers who activate in store will be charged a $30 fee. There is no exception specifically for pm. Some clarification on this matter would be appreciated. Im sure @Tapan676  and the community would be interested in the official word from public mobile.

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Lar wrote:

Anyone ever  heard of a Koodo mobile store charging for VIP setup for Public Mobile?  $30 discounted to $15 for porting the number over plus added $5 onto the SIM.

Hi @Lar , can you share the location of this store with me via private message? Happy to help you figure this out - just need some more information 🙂

@Lar  This is the third case of koodo charging pm customers a fee for activation and it will be the third time I will tag @Alan_K  and @Tiana_V  and ask for clarification on public mobiles arrangement with koodo and them charging activation fees to new pm customers. It seems this the only retailer (and sister company) that pm offers no opinion on the subject while the community sits back in horror claiming no fees are to be charged.

Koodo policy is to charge all customers it activates in store a $30 fee that included their SIM card. Obviously tis policy is intended for koodo own customers but they decided to extend this charge to pm customers on a random basis. Seems to me koodo is double dipping....charging a fee and pocketing whatever commission pm offers its retailers. Public Mobile has stayed mum on the subject and allows it to continue.

My stance on the subject is to not recommend koodo for activations and actively discourage it. All we can do as a community is try to educate possible new customers not to use certain retailers and arm them with as much knowledge as possible so they know to walk away from anyone who charges extra fees, are uneducated about current promos or promise something they can't deliver.

Supermonkey19
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

If you ever have to go there again, you should ask them to show you where the fees that they are charging are posted within the Public Mobile rules. Public Mobile is a low cost pay as you go cell phone service. From my understanding, pay as you go never has any fees. Now, if it is anything like Swoop Air as an example which ia a low cost airline, maybe there are extra fees that we wouldn't know about. Maybe a bad comparison. Koodo Mobile has their own services, and that is why they don't charge people who have their cellphone services with them. The services that they pay for cover the costs of them getting that customer service? But you have to wonder what you are getting when you would have Telus compared to those who have Koodo? Just a thought?

@Lar wrote:

$15 is discounted? Stores can usually sell whatever products or services at the price that they like, but being an authorized retailer of Public Mobile, there are certain rules that they need to follow. There is no setup fee at Public Mobile.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Lar , there have been reports of stores charging fees that they are not suppose to charge.  I don't recall this particular store being mentioned.  I suggest you report it to Public Mobile so that the bad actors can be weeded out.  

Need Help? Let's chat.