cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep my phone number but cancel my plan?

Shedlyne
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,
I'm in another country and I would like to know if it's possible to keep the phone number that I currently have but cancel my plan. I don't mind paying for my phone number but I don't need the plan right now.

6 REPLIES 6

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Shedlyne 

Not all of the options in the spoiler below will apply due to the fact you are already out of the country but scheduling a change plan on next renewal to the $15 plan and/or before paying to reactivate your plan choosing the $15 plan and then picking change plan now and getting redirected to the payment page to pay will lower your plan cost for the next renewal and 30 days of service you choose to pay for just don't be suspended for more than 89/90 days. Suspending your account for 85 to 89 days, reactivating for 30 days and repeating the process can cost as little as $39 for about 355 days and still maintain your account and phone number and keep your rewards and any add ons you may have.

Spoiler

Options for your account and service....

1. You can turn off autopay and allow the account to suspend at the of your current 30 day cycle but this is your least advantageous option. Pay and reactivate by day 85 or so.
  2. If you have an account balance that exceeds your plan amount then you need to suspend via the lost/stolen feature in your account before midnight eastern on the evening of your renewal. Then on day 85 or so resume your service to pay and reactivate.
  3. Suspending via lost/stolen before midnight eastern will keep your voicemail active allowing you retrieve voicemail and any verification sent by phone calls. However your rewards will not be applied to your account. CSA contact after paying and reactivating is necessary to have the rewards applied manually.
  4. Voicemail can be accessed by calling your pm number from a different phone by calling your phone # and pressing * once connected and entering your 4 digit voicemail pin #.
  5. If you don't have an account balance or enough balance to cover your plan amount you can suspend via lost/stolen after midnight but before 2 am eastern on the day of your renewal. Once your rewards have been applied (usually by 12:15 am et) then suspend your account. Voicemail access will be lost.
  6. Switching to the $15 plan with rewards helping to cover a partial or full amount of your plan allows you to call forward your pm number to your fongo number. Be sure to perform all call forwarding while in Canada. Now any incoming calling to your pm number will ring thru to your fongo number while on wifi or mobile data (w/a local or global sim card) You can access your fongo voicemail for all voicemail messages.

Most important mark on your calendar day 85 of your suspension and day 90. Do not forget when you must unsuspend your account via lost/stolen and/or pay and reactivate your service so you don't lose your phone number and account. Happy travels!

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

You can keep your number if you port it to another provider. If that is not an option, downgrade your PM account to $15 plan and suspend it. Then around 85-87th day, pay for the next month and suspend it again. This way you will pay around $60 for a year to keep your number 'alive'. Do not go over 90 day of suspension as your account will be closed (deleted) then and number will be gone.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Shedlyne 

Once your account is cancelled, you will lose your number.

Your number then is on hold for 90 days before it is open for grabs.

As others have noted, you can stop payment and your account will be put on suspension for 90 days but you shouldn’t wait until 90 days to reactive your account…best to give some buffer days.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Shedlyne 

Here's how:

Once your current Public Mobile cycle has expired, your account will go into a suspended state for up to 90 days, after which it will completely become cancelled. (and you will lose your number)

What you will need to do on approximately day 85 of suspension is repurchase the cheapest plan available (the $15 plan) and reactivate services.

Then you will have to repeat the process again.

Doing it this way will allow you to retain your number with the cheapest possible payment available.   It will literally only cost you about $15 for almost 120 days away.

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

You can suspend your account for 90 days, just remember to pay for your plan before the 90 day suspension period otherwise you will loose your phone #, any credits, or rewards. 

0PX9O4
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Shedlyne 

If you remove autopay, your account will remain suspended for 89 days after expiry of your current plan. After 90 days your phone number will be lost forever and your SIM card will become permanently disabled.

Need Help? Let's chat.