cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any way to stop SMS messages from Public Mobile?

samiam123
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I get billing due notices, successful bill pay notices, and unresolved complaint SMS messages from Public mobile every month.  I don't want to get any of those.  I only use SMS for automated alerts for other things so every time I get one of these SMS messages I think I have a problem.  I have several Public Mobile numbers all pointing to this one phone/number as the main account so I get several of these notices blasting me every month.  I also have loyalty rewards and I get SMS messages for that.

I already tried disabling the messages on the phone itself.  It doesn't work.  Depending what you google, what version of Android you have, what sub version, what phone model etc.  What apps you have installed etc.  You may or may not be able to get notifications set up properly.  Distinctive ring tones for different numbers/contacts/groups etc.  You name it, I have tried it.  Sometimes they work until they stop working.  Or until you restart your phone.  Some people claim to have it working a certain way all the time and others, like me, can't get it working the way they want.  There are many reasons they may work or not work for some people and not others and nothing that 100% is guaranteed to work all the time.  I have spent many days trying and googling and have concluded that Android notifications are broken and basically don't work in any predictable reliable way.  I have the latest stable official version of Android for my phone, a Galaxy S8.  I am almost tempted to switch to an Apple phone over this problem but that's another discussion.

Anyways, is there any way to disable these annoying SMS messages from Public Mobile on the Public Mobile end?  I don't want any notifications period.

14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

@samiam123 : I suspect your main concern is the midnight ET texts from here. My cell is used for the condo intercom. I use a scheduled DND from evening until morning to avoid drunken mis-dials at the door.

Hi @samiam123   PM = Public Mobile  

which phone you have?  Selective ringer should work.  🤔

Again, if you block it , you risk that you might lost important message from PM, like missed payment (happens sometimes if Autopay fails) or as I said, PM uses text for Christmas Bonus last Dec. 

samiam123

@hTideGnow wrote:

@Nicole1948 wrote:

I really Dislike these messages as well, so annoying. wish there was a simple way out.

HI @Nicole1948   if you like you can block it on the device level, however, I don't suggest you to do it as you might miss some important text from PM, like message about you missed payment or message like Christmas bonus last Dec

Best way is to add PM into your contact and setup mute notification for any text from PM.  So, in this case, you won't miss the text but you can be annoyed as well

Mute notifications don't work.  That's the problem.  I have it in my contact list and have it set to use silent ringtone but it still uses my default ringtone.  Selective ringtones on contacts are basically broken on Android.

@Nicole1948 wrote:

I really Dislike these messages as well, so annoying. wish there was a simple way out.

HI @Nicole1948   if you like you can block it on the device level, however, I don't suggest you to do it as you might miss some important text from PM, like message about you missed payment or message like Christmas bonus last Dec

Best way is to add PM into your contact and setup mute notification for any text from PM.  So, in this case, you won't miss the text but you can be annoyed as well

Nicole1948
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@HALIMACS wrote:

Well that's absolutely ridiculous, @computergeek541 

User should absolutely be able to opt out of anything non CCTS related.

I agree and I also dislike the mesages, but Public Mobile considers the payment remdinders and renewal notices to be important messges and will not allow the customers to opt out.

@samiam123 wrote:

I think I tried that as well at one time.  I think that stopped some messages but not others.  Such as the billing messages and the unresolved complaint messages.

As I already said, number blocking does not work for me.  So no need to keep repeating that suggestion.

Sorry, but it Public Mobile doersn't give any option for what you're asking for at the account level. I know that's not the answer that you want but the suggestion of blocking and/or turning of notifications for text messages is the only way that it's going to be done even if you do end up needing to install some custom software. Otherwise, you'll continue to receive and be notified when these messages come in.

Well that's absolutely ridiculous, @computergeek541 

User should absolutely be able to opt out of anything non CCTS related.

Another thing you can try, is to go under your my settings section under your avatar in the community, and check the box below the email address which reads, "Don't send me any Community emails"

(Mind you, that will only stop emails which you may also be getting which are linked to your community account- just trying to find other ways to limit communication which may be bothersome to you)

samiam123

I think I tried that as well at one time.  I think that stopped some messages but not others.  Such as the billing messages and the unresolved complaint messages.

As I already said, number blocking does not work for me.  So no need to keep repeating that suggestion.

I may try jailbreak my phone and put on 3rd party firmware.  Maybe I will have better luck with notifications doing that.

@samiam123 wrote:

Blocking is not really an option either.  I can't remember all the reasons why but I see messages from 611, 5129, 5132.  I think the numbers they use changes from time to time and depending what message they are sending.  There were other reasons preventing me from blocking those but I can't remember off the top of my head.  I did try blocking based on the name of the contact and assigned those numbers to a name but it didn't work reliably.  As I said, android notifications are broken so I found those features didn't work reliably.  Sometimes they worked at first then stopped working after awhile.  Or only until the phone rebooted. 

Anyways, I as stated, android notifications are broken imo. Number blocking seems to be part of notifications internally so that seems to be broken as well depending how you want to use it.

You're going to have to decide if you're willing to block the messages. While you can unsubcsribe from marketing messages, there is no option to do that for the messsages that you mentioned earlier about CCTS and billing/renewals. Public Mobile doesn't offer any way to disable these text messages.

@HALIMACS 

Billing/renewal/reminder and CCTS messages cannot be unsubscribed from by using the STOP/UNSUBSCRIBE ressponses.  Customers are stuck with them and can only block them at the device-level.

@samiam123 

Next time you get an SMS message about content you do not want, reply only with the following:

STOP

-or-

UNSUBSCRIBE 

samiam123

Blocking is not really an option either.  I can't remember all the reasons why but I see messages from 611, 5129, 5132.  I think the numbers they use changes from time to time and depending what message they are sending.  There were other reasons preventing me from blocking those but I can't remember off the top of my head.  I think I did try blocking based on the name of the contact and assigned those numbers to a name but it didn't work reliably.  As I said, android notifications are broken so I found those features didn't work reliably.  Sometimes they worked at first then stopped working after awhile.  Or only until the phone rebooted.  As I stated, android notifications are broken imo. Number blocking seems to be part of notifications internally so that seems to be broken as well depending on how you want to use it.

@samiam123 wrote:

I get billing due notices, successful bill pay notices, and unresolved complaint SMS messages from Public mobile every month.  I don't want to get any of those.  I only use SMS for automated alerts for other things so every time I get one of these SMS messages I think I have a problem.

I already tried disabling the messages on the phone itself.  It doesn't work.  Depending what you google, what version of Android you have, what sub version.  What apps you have installed etc.  You may or may not be able to get notifications set up properly.  I have spent many days trying and have concluded that Android notifications are broken and basically don't work in any predicable reliable way.  I am almost tempted to switch to Apple over it but that's another discusssion.

Anways, is there any way to disable these annoying SMS messages from Public Mobile on the Public Mobile end?  I don't want any notifications period.

The messages about CCTS and payment reminders cannot be unsubscribed from. Your only choice would be to block the messages. For the exampler of Google Messages, blocking the number will still save the message in an Archive folder, but you will not be notificed about the message coming in, and to view it, you will have to manually open the Archive folder.

Need Help? Let's chat.