cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the $15/month 3G plan unlimited minutes?

TheTechRobo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

On Tuesday, I bought the $15/month 3G plan (here) . On the website it says that it has "unlimited Canada-wide minutes", but on the self-serve page it shows "100 Minutes Canada-Wide Talk". Is this intentional or a mistake? (Or did I sign up for the plan just a few days too early?)

43 REPLIES 43

TheTechRobo

That's still wrong, at least according to the CSA, although this time it works out in the customer's favour (unlimited incoming minutes)

@TheTechRobo  and all, 

the plan page is now updated, $15 is 100 minute Canada wide.

Patchio
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@LitlLdy 

In a way, it even seems like PM is being deceptive and misleading because they know they won’t have to honour this mistake no matter how many people fall for it. 

There’s little to no incentive for them to fix a mistake that works in their favour. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

AA52F48C-2730-4122-B5E7-3D7C7B502145.jpeg

@maximum_gato wrote:

@TheTechRobo 

Thanks for the update. I would still ask for a complimentary $5/500min add on for the "hassle" of it not being clear what you signed up for and you can tell them this way you won't need to seek any further clarification from the cee cee tee ess. 😉

@maximum_gato , I see the $15 3G Plan listed on the Public Mobile website is still being advertised as Unlimited Canada Wide Minutes! They must not be to worried about the false advertising of that plan! It’s going on 2nd week of it being wrong!

Edit: They were aware of this last week. They should of clearly saw it was wrong before even posting it!

IMG_0096.png

@TheTechRobo wrote:

@LitlLdy wrote:

@TheTechRobo , you gave your post a self solution! 🤣

Well, the CSA answered my question, so I figured it would make sense

@TheTechRobo , A CSA answered your question through private message & not on this forum. Oracle's remove self solutions from here. It was just a heads up to let you know.

TheTechRobo

@LitlLdy wrote:

Well, the CSA answered my question, so I figured it would make sense

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@TheTechRobo 

Thanks for the update. I would still ask for a complimentary $5/500min add on for the "hassle" of it not being clear what you signed up for and you can tell them this way you won't need to seek any further clarification from the cee cee tee ess. 😉

@TheTechRobo wrote:

I've talked to a customer support agent:

• Apparently it shows 100 minutes on the activation page when picking your plan, although this is still wrong:
  • The true plan is unlimited incoming minutes (if someone calls you) and 100 outgoing minutes (if you call someone)

Because of the first point, and additionally because I don't really need more than 100 minutes (and if I do I can just pay the few bucks) I'm not going to pursue this further.

Thank you everyone for the advice!

@TheTechRobo I’m sorry they wouldn’t honour what we all see on the webpage for the plan you signed up for! It’s good though that you’re ok with the way the plan really is! I have the same plan. I use TextNow on Wi-Fi for outgoing calls. I imagine there will be a lot of backlash from new Customers that signed up for what they see posted for the plan that won’t give up easily at some type of compensation. False advertising! Which is very understandable.

Edit: The $15 3G Speed Plan is still showing Unlimited Canada-Wide Minutes!

TheTechRobo

I suspect it is a harmless mistake, although it is weird that Public Mobile hasn't fixed it.

Here's what my email confirmation shows:

TheTechRobo_0-1680392859417.png

So at least the confirmation says 100 minutes. (Still wrong, but this time it's wrong in favour of the customer...)

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@TheTechRobo 

Did you print your transaction summary or take a screenshot of it at the end of your activation? I'm curious what the details of the $15 plan are on that? Just because it's listed correctly (or not since you can't go back to confirm what it says during activation) isn't sufficient in my mind to accept the excuse by the CSA. It's not good enough either for pm to still have the incorrect details still on their web page. You didn't notice the difference when you activated so I doubt most new customers have either. It's false and misleading advertising. More so now that it's been pointed out to pm and still not changed. That fits the definition of the bait and switch as defined by the Competition Bureau of Canada.

But as long as you are fine with it......Welcome to Public Mobile!

TheTechRobo

I've talked to a customer support agent:

• Apparently it shows 100 minutes on the activation page when picking your plan, although this is still wrong:
  • The true plan is unlimited incoming minutes (if someone calls you) and 100 outgoing minutes (if you call someone)

Because of the first point, and additionally because I don't really need more than 100 minutes (and if I do I can just pay the few bucks) I'm not going to pursue this further.

Thank you everyone for the advice!

@TheTechRobo yes, go ahead  

if they honor the plan or make compensation, It would be case by case, So, you need to open your own ticket 

TheTechRobo

I believe someone in this thread has already contacted support about this? Would it be ok if I did too, then?

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@TheTechRobo 

Lol....oh pm can be annoying alright but look at it this way....there are good glitches and bad glitches at pm. They more or less even each other out in the end. This is a pretty good glitch especially if they actually honour the plan!

treefrog
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@TheTechRobo 

Annoying because you would have to insist on them honoring the plan that benefits you or just annoying that they make mistakes which Public Mobile does all the time?

TheTechRobo

I might do that. It's just annoying that it would have to happen in the first place.

treefrog
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@TheTechRobo 

I think you should pursue them honoring the plan. 2 years ago I got screwed out of my $15 plan when pm briefly introduced provincial calling plans and when I reactivated I had a problem with my change plan at next renewal did not work properly and I got stuck with the provincial plan. Talk about unlucky timing I reactivation on the night they made the change to prevent a calling?!!

Luckily for me Public Mobile reversed their decision on provincial calling a couple of months later and I got back to the 15 Dollar plan as it is. Much later I heard that Quebec customers had the 500 MB of data honored from that same provincial calling plan change with poor messaging on the plans page and felt doubly screwed over of not having either deal honored but that's ancient history now for me at least.

@maximum_gato   Lol...somehow I doubt the "new" part of the $15 plan sticks, but yeah new customers will have to make do with only 5% back in points now.  Actually, I'm surprised the bonus points offer lasted as long as it did.

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@dabr 

Nice catch! Harder to refer new customers though unless the $15 plan really is becoming an unlimited talk plan?

dabr
Mayor / Maire

Looks like PM has removed the 3x bonus points for new activations.   There's no mention of bonus points on the Plans page or self serve account.

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@LitlLdy 

At the very least I would think pm would have to honour the plan for a minimum of 2 months. The first month (30 days) and any subsequent months before they post on publicmobile.ca/plans and/or they text or email affected customers with the correction as per their terms of service.

Otherwise customers would have the means to make a legitimate formal complaint to the relevant government agencies/bodies governing legislation to protect consumers/customers. Quebec customers have much stronger consumer protection laws than tbe rest of Canada and may be able to get the plan honored for a longer period of time.

I was just giving my opinion to the CSA & to others on here. I feel bad for those that were mislead by PM’s mistakes! There may not be a law to do the right thing by honouring what was paid for but I still feel it would be poor business not to. I mean no disrespect to anyone. Just my thoughts. We still pay the lowest here along with getting bonuses.

Op said the plan on the website was purchased on Tuesday so I would think whoever makes changes to the website would proofread before finishing it & never looking at it again! 

@LitlLdy wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

I'm going to try to see what I can find out. To my knowledge, no new $15 plan has been released..

@computergeek541 , the CSA that I spoke to said “ I have already escalated the issue with the department in charge.

My reply “I feel it would be wrong not to Honour those Customers plan that they signed up for!”

CSA “ Yes, your are totally right. We are taking actions already.

Thank you so much again.

I agree that the plan should be honored.  There was a time when Public Mobile accidenlty advertised the $15 plan as including 500MB.  In some cases, that was honored.  Unfortunately for customers, there have been other times that Public Mobile simply made the correction (that wasn't in the customer's favor).  This isn't legal advice (I'm not a lawyer), but despite a widely believed misconception, companies do not have to honor advertising errors in most in cases, in most provinces.  The advertising on the Public Mobile home page is what is called an invitation to treat which isn't binding if there is an accidental error.

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@TheTechRobo 

Personally I would insist that they honour the plan you signed up....there is no excuse for this. The $15 plan has not changed in nearly 4 years other than dropping the autopay data bonus component (that was included anyways).

But since they do not have an unlimited minutes plan that's not coded with a data component I would ask for 6×$5/500min Canada wide calling add ons to be added to your account as compensation. (2×$15 plan cost).

I can offer you further advice but will only do so privately because we all know public mobile is Great! 🐯😁

@computergeek541 wrote:

I'm going to try to see what I can find out. To my knowledge, no new $15 plan has been released..

@computergeek541 , the CSA that I spoke to said “ I have already escalated the issue with the department in charge.

My reply “I feel it would be wrong not to Honour those Customers plan that they signed up for!”

CSA “ Yes, your are totally right. We are taking actions already.

Thank you so much again.

@Andrew2000   I think it's done in error (like many other things around here).   Not proof reading when making changes is also something PM seems to do on a frequent basis.

Personally I'd prefer to see extra data rather than minutes at a lower price since add-on minutes are quite the bargain at $5/500 mins to supplement this plan.

@LitlLdy   I'm pretty sure the plan didn't mention the unlimited earlier this morning because I did check although not sure if I paid too much attention to details about minutes as I'm just taking a quick look because of PM's recent history to change the data allotment.   Plus I notice the webpage now seems a little different than before, so I think it must have been changed sometimes this afternoon. 

Still odd that they would have needed to even tamper with the wording of that plan, unless the error was due to them trying to add back the missing unlimited incoming minutes component to that plan?

Andrew2000

I just noticed this too. It even showed "Unlimited" in the self-serve Change Plan page, until I reached the final confirmation when it changed to 100 minutes.

My wishful thinking is that they're changing it to unlimited tomorrow and we're just seeing the transition.

@dabr wrote:

@TheTechRobo    You can view the unlimited incoming mins component in thie $15 plan yourself by selecting (for a few minutes) Change Plan at Next Renewal if you're on the $15 plan.  Then the  $15 plan is available to view with the correct plan details which seem, for whatever reason, missing elsewhere.  Just make sure to cancel the plan change immediately after.  

edit:  as to the official Plans page showing unlimited minutes for this plan, yeah seems like a poorly planned April fool's joke but I do think PM should honour this plan for any new customers activating with this plan.

@dabr , what worries me is how many may have activated on that plan since Tuesday like op did just to find out its not unlimited minutes! I don’t even know how long it has been wrong on the plans page!

Need Help? Let's chat.