cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it time to change my old SIM card?

najiib
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have an old SIM card that I've been using for the past 4 years. I noticed the issue first with my iPhone X and now with my iPhone 16 Pro. The issue is that as my phone is functional most of the time, I get a no sim card error while the sim card is in place as if there's something wrong with the reading of the sim card. All I have to do is take it out and then put it back in. My question is whether it's time for me to get a new SIM card or not. Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

Rastin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If your planing to replace the card contact PM first they may replace it for free. Don't know for sure if they will but couldn't hurt to try.

eddieO
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@najiib that would be very annoying to have happen when you do not have a SIM release tool. Keep a paper clip in your pocket for now 🙂

If you do end up getting another SIM card and the issues continues (however random it may be) then it's likely a problem with your phone and not the SIM

@najiib 

remove your sim and use the pencil eraser to gently "clean" the contacts on that sim. If your sim is bad after 4 years, it's a unicorn...very rare that sims fail after time. See if the cleaning method helps.

added...if the same symptom happens with a diff sim, the issue isn't with your PM sim.

najiib

@eddieO Thanks Eddie. I was thinking the same too. The worst is when it happens while I'm outside and I can't find a pin to remove it LOL!

najiib

yes! The issue happens randomly tho. It'll be hard to replicate. sometimes it'll go without issue for a week or a month. for example, I put the sim card into my new phone yesterday and it was fine. Then it occurred this morning.

eddieO
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@najiib SIM cards usually last a very long time and rarely need to be replaced unless they have been damaged. If you are finding that popping out your SIM and placing it back fixes your issue and it's happening somewhat often then it doesn't hurt to replace it. You can order one from Amazon for $5 and get free shipping if you have Prime, arrives next day, or you can go into a Telus/Koodo or Mobile Klinik store and buy one for $10

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@najiib 

does anyone in your fam have a cellphone that you could try theirs in your phone to see if the same occurs ?

Need Help? Let's chat.