cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invalid Number Error on outbound calls

snaptee
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just recently in the last couple weeks I've been unable to make outbound calls with an Invalid Number error appearing in my Pixel 7's call app. I get this error if I call a local number however if I prepend a 1 as if I were making a long distance call, it will connect properly. I can't connect on toll free numbers, even if I prepend a 1 to them. If I change the mobile network from Public Mobile LTE to Public Mobile 3G and then call a toll free number, I still can't connect to the intended number but I get an 8UV1 operator error over the speaker instead of an invalid number.

I've read these threads and tried various solutions including trying other devices, removing SIM, etc with no success:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/8uv1-Your-call-cannot-be-completed-as-dia...

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/I-couldn-t-make-call-to-a-valid-number/m-...

I've submitted a ticket with support however I'm hoping to resolve this quickly as I'm unable to call airlines and such to make time sensitive travel arrangements.

EDIT May 29, 2023: This issue has finally been resolved after filing a complaint with the CRTC. Telus/Public Mobile applied a fix on/around May 22 that removed the 5B1 error and allowed me to connect to the toll free numbers that I couldn't before. This includes BC Ferries as I know this has been an issue for other Public Mobile customers.

17 REPLIES 17

snaptee

This issue has finally been resolved after filing a complaint with the CRTC. Telus/Public Mobile applied a fix on/around May 22 that removed the 5B1 error and allowed me to connect to the toll free numbers that I couldn't before. This includes BC Ferries as I know this has been an issue for other Public Mobile customers.

Hi @snaptee 

reply them back and ask for an update

for now, try to add a + in front of the 1-800 number and see if it works

and use VoIP app TextNow as a workaround

snaptee

This is still an ongoing issue. Escalation to Telus support through Public Mobile has done nothing to fix it other than tell me someone will reach out by a certain date, usually a few days in the future. Invariably that date comes and goes with no one ever contacting me until I followup with a private message to Public Mobile asking what is going on. Telus and Public Mobile seem to think this level of service is acceptable.

Obelisk
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm receiving the error message "8UV1 Your call cannot be completed as dialed" when I try to call many local numbers. Many of the unreachable numbers are regularly used contacts in my phone. However, some calls complete without issue. Certainly nothing has changed on my end. I have tried restarting my device, but that has changed nothing.

snaptee

I've been a Public Mobile customer for over 7 years now. Would the age of my SIM card have anything to do with this? If I pop in another Public Mobile SIM card that was purchased this year and is on another account, everything works fine in my phone.

snaptee

No I did not try resetting all networks. I don't think that has anything to do with telephony, just bluetooth, wifi and mobile data.

Yes, I verified the SIM and/or account is the issue by putting the SIM into another phone. Prior to the swap, the other phone could make the call. After the swap it got the same error I detailed in my original post. When using a SIM from another carrier in my Pixel 7, I can complete the call.

HI @snaptee  

did you try to click Reset all networks on your phone?

and tried to put your PM sim in another phone?

I think you should also reply and ask them to send to senior tech to look into the problem

snaptee

I've been going back and forth with support these last couple days and they have been "refreshing" my account (whatever that means) and directing me to remove the SIM card and then restart the phone. It partialy worked in that I can make local calls without prepending a 1 and I can connect to some toll free numbers but not all. When attempting to connect to a toll free number that still fails to connect, I get a different error: 5B1 number not equipped for incoming service. Yes, I have confirmed this is a valid number with other phones and interestingly enough, it is the same error that another Public Mobile phone in my family gets when calling the number.

snaptee

It was set to auto when the issue began weeks ago. When manually setting it to LTE or 3G I get the same result.

HI @snaptee  

don't disable VoLTE , you cannot anyway

Reboot your phone to test again.

if not, just submit a ticket with CS agent, it is a common issues and they know what to do on the system to fix it

at : https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

First type Contact,
then select the only choice there: "Contact..",
from the list of , choose "Other"
finally click link the blue link about submit a ticket
Another page will open and just follow: .

After ticket is submitted, make sure to check your Community Inbox(top right corner envelope icon) periodically for response from PM

If you have problems submitting a ticket, you can open ticket by private message (but this can take longer):

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

snaptee

This isn't an option on the Pixel 7 running Android 13

drsiha
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

VoLTE seems to be the cause of a lot of issue at this moment. Disable VoLTE for now.

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@snaptee

Set your mobile network to auto/LTE/4G etc. then try the following:

For a toll free number: first, delete it from your contacts if you have them saved, then dial the number in this format: +18005551234

Let us know if that works.

Also, you said your local calling is working but try the same steps with a local number anyways. (format: +14165551234)

snaptee

This was already enabled. I tried disabling it and got the same negative result. I then re-enabled it and got the same negative result.

makhancora

I've had the exact same problem for 2 weeks. 2 weeks without service and all they can do to help is telling me to restart my phone. Why am I paying if there's no service ?

makhancora

same probleme here mate. I have a pixel 5. havent had proper service for 2 weeks and counting. I either get "Invalid number" or "Call ended", right away. If its not fixed by tomorrow I'm out.

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

A lot of people seem to be having this problem lately, and VoLTE implementation is the suspected cause.

In your phone/dialer settings, look for “Assisted dialing” and turn that on, then try calling.

On some phones it's called “Roaming assistance”.

Need Help? Let's chat.