cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incoming landline calls

Poopsie4
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Local landline callers are told my cell phone # is long distance,  they must use 1 in front of my number and get charged long distance fees.   How can this be?   My mobile was purchased locally.  The phone works fine otherwise.

13 REPLIES 13

HI @Poopsie4 

As @DennyCrane points out, issue one way or another

if you change your number back to your old location, your old friends can call you free, your new friend on the landline in your new area might have to pay long distance to reach you.  So, you cannot get the best of both worlds

But you can try using VoIP app.  Get VoIP TextNow, get a local number based on your old location, give it to your friends and they call that TextNow number for free.   The TextNow app will ring and you use it to answer the call

Poopsie4

Thanks Denny.  I am getting the hang of it.  

Poopsie4

Thank you.  That is very helpful.   My local friends at my new location are using landlines to reach me.    Should they have to pay long distance charges to call my cell phone if I change my number at my new location?  Good point about old friends.

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Most cell phone plans now include long distance right across Canada, so hopefully those contacts of yours who have local calling plans are few and far between. But to @hTideGnow's point, if they do have local calling plans you're going to have this issue one way or another (either with your new contacts or your old ones).

HI @Poopsie4 

then you can go to My Account, Profile, click the pencil to the right of the phone number and then pick a new number

But if you pick a number for your "old" friends to call you free, those new friends in your area new will need to pay Long Distance charges

@Poopsie4 wrote:

I have moved a long way so need  a new phone number to receive local calls without them being charged a long distance fee.  How do I go about getting a new number please? 

@Poopsie4 

login to My Account, go to Profile page, and click the pencil besides the phone number. There, follow the steps and choose a new phone number.  Choose one that has no LD issue for your friends to call

https://myaccount.publicmobile.ca/en/account/profile/update/phone-numberhttps://myaccount.publicmobile.ca/en/account/profile/update/phone-number

Poopsie4

I have moved a long way so need  a new phone number to receive local calls without them being charged a long distance fee.  How do I go about getting a new number please? 

@Poopsie4 

if you don't mind, what is your area code and the next 3 digits?  and what is your caller's area code and the main 3 digits?

Poopsie4

Thank you..   That worked -  calls made locally would be considered long distance.  I guess I need to change my location or ask for a new number.   That will be a challenge.   Public Mobil is very  hard for me to navigate.

@Poopsie4 

that is not a PM problem, it is just a phone number selection problem

you can choose to change number and change to on your main callers can call you for free

or your call can use VoIP app to call you for free

Poopsie4

Thank you for your reply.  Unfortunately  the caller had to pay long distance charges

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Do a reverse 411 search on your phone number to see what city it's based in.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Poopsie4 

Keep in mind, using 1 does not necessary mean it got charged with LD call

and if they really got charged with LD charges, it is not a PM issue, it is a calling carrier.  But the only thing you can do is to pick another phone number that is "local" to the caller

But I still think the one calling you with a 1 in the front might not be incurring Long Distance charges.  These days, many carriers for some reason need people to put a 1 in the front, but no long distance charges

Need Help? Let's chat.