cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incoming Calls goes straight to voicemail and no notification from voicemail

rranvi
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

My wife and I are having the same issue. Most of the time we are not receiving incoming calls and it goes directly to voicemail. There are no notifications for missed calls and also for new message in the voicemail. When we check our voicemails, that’s the only time that we know that there are people calling us. We tried everything from restarting phone, restarting network settings and even seapping our sim cards. Please help.

And also, we are old public mobile customers. There’s no porting, no new simcard happened. It just suddenly became like this.

thanks in advance. 

18 REPLIES 18

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@K_GL 

This is happening more and more often as providers deploy the 5G network. Telus will have to implement VoLTE sooner rather than later. We were expecting it to be done by years end so telus won't be able to drag their feet much longer as they begin to affect more and more of their pm and koodo prepaid customers. It's an issue that's difficult to effectively complain about as it basically falls within the CRTC mandate to regulate and force telus to act but there is no clear channel for customers to register their complaint so that the CRTC gets hard numbers of affected customers to move forward with a ruling.

K_GL
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks your help,This happened about 4month ago,yes,in my home apartment,east/south mississauga 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@K_GL 

How long has your incoming calling been like this? If it's recently then it could be temporary resulting from equipment upgrades to your local tower. If it lasts more than a couple of weeks then it could be more permanent. Assuming this is occurring at home....? Keep your phone (s) in the 3G mode only while at-home as this should fix the issue until ( you said it) We get VoLTE implemented but periodically check and see if the issue goes away in a couple of weeks.

The CSA suggesting a Sim card swap is sadly mistaken this will not help. If staying in 3G mode does not completely clear up the issue you can download a voip provider app like textnow. Choose a Canadian phone # and call forward your pm phone # to your textnow # for the busy/unreachable setting. Then any calls that may default to your voicemail will ring thru to your textnow # while on wifi or mobile data. No more missed calls!

K_GL

Yes I did,phone working fine 3g only,3g signal 4bars,3 g data speed 6mb/s,I  have 3 android and 1 iPhone,all same issues,4g signal 5bars,speed 70 mb/s.about 60% incoming call directly to voicemail,even from same number calling,no idea about it,waiting volte.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@K_GL 

Switch your network mode to 3G only and test your signal strength as above. Do you have an Android or an iPhone?

K_GL

Same here 4 pm phone ,opened ticket,csa can not solve my issue,just ask me replace a new SIM card,7 years pm customer.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@rranvi 

Since both of you have the issue it's likely equipment upgrades to your local tower. You have only mentioned incoming calling being affected....any issues with outgoing calling? If not that's a good sign that this is a temporary issue that may last a couple of weeks. As suggested by @softech  set your network mode to 3G only and see if this improves or fixes the issue.

If it fixes the issue then the upgrades on your local tower cause a slight delay in recieving the call and your phone detecting the incoming call and switching down to 3G from 4G LTE for it to connect. This delay a fraction of a second to long causes the default call forwarding to kick in sending the caller to your voicemail. If this is just regular infrastructure maintenance/upgrades it should clear up so switch back to the 4G LTE autoconnect setting and test call one another every few days until it appears the work has finished.

If switching to 3G only somewhat solves the issue or not at all there is a workaround to use in the meantime....download a voip provider app and choose a Canadian phone number (textnow or fongo are used by community members). Call forward ( busy/unreachable) your pm number to your voip phone # so if you have a poor or no 3G signal instead of calls being sent to voi email they will ring thru to your voip app on your phone. This will use your wifi data or mobile data (0.5mb/1 min).

While in 3G network mode if you want to check your 3G signal strength a simple test will determine if your 3G signal is contributing to your calling issue.....Go to Settings and change your network mode to 3G only. Then go to About phone>>Sim card status>>Signal strength>> ? -dBm?

Ideally you should be somewhere between -60dBm and -80dBm with -81dBm to -95dBm decent to poor but still usable. -96dBm to -101dBm barely usable and anything lower unusable. These values apply to your 3G signal strength as 4G LTE signal strength can be below -100dBm and still be usable (mine fluctuates between -99dBm and -108dBm but my 3G signal strength hovers consistently around -67dBm). Your readings may vary slightly between phones depending on the quality of their hardware (antenna) but they should have similar readings.

Of course once telus implements VoLTE calling for pm customers these issues will no longer be a problem as there will rarely be the need to switch networks to send/recieve voice calls.

Well, stay on top of that! 

We are paying money for a service to receive it, not wait for them to constantly fix problems.

Good luck @rranvi  & @esjliv !!!

@HALIMACS wrote:

@esjliv 

My suspicion is the issue you describe is a user/device setting.

Though, I’m certain you would have exhausted all those troubleshooting possibilities.

@HALIMACS - exhaustion has been made by myself and provider on this front, thanks though! 😃

@esjliv 

My suspicion is the issue you describe is a user/device setting.

Though, I’m certain you would have exhausted all those troubleshooting possibilities.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@rranvi - i'd guess network issues, but i am having a similar sounding issue with another mobile provider (and it is not network issues).

It is random (from same batch testing of numbers), sometimes rings, sometimes goes to voicemail.

No record of call in the recent call logs when it goes to voicemail.

Ongoing for over 3 weeks now. Ticket is submitted, escalated and under investigation. 🤔

I may be asking for a new SIM card from this provider very shortly!

Hopefully, you get yours fixed soon.

@softech @It’s like I’m stuttering

@Handy1   outage site /istheservicedowncanada.com/  honest, it is not useful

@HALIMACS  I’m blaming apple I don’t know why that happened 

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@rranvi 

Try these fixes:

1. ensure airplane mode is not enabled

2. ensure do not disturb is not enabled

3. ensure the number calling you is not on a blocked senders list

4. disable any call-forwarding features/settings

5. turn off Bluetooth -- it's possible the 'ringing' is going through to a Bluetooth device instead of device's speakers

6. remove and reinsert your SIM card

7. reset network connections

Oh gosh @Handy1 

first, it’s the @ and now it’s the coverage and outage map x three

😆

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@rranvi   could be a local network problem since both of you have the problem

How long has it been?  do you get incoming calls without problem if you are in another area?

Try to first reseat the sim card .  Power down the phone, take sim out for a minute and then put it back and power up

Try to change your Preferred network to 3G and see if the phone connects and if incoming calls work

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@rranvi  Try resetting your phone , or rest network settings … take SIM card out phone and try in another device to see if services work as they should 

Adding 

Coverage  map in your area

www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/coverage?gclid=CLuo4c39yNQCFQQvaQodeZEC0g

Outage   map in your area:

https://istheservicedowncanada.com/status/telus/map 

https://istheservicedowncanada.com/status/telus/map