cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import landline to cell not working

Cheryl6
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I've signed up for Public, bought a sim, transferred my land line number to my new cell phone.  It has been a little over a week and I still can not receive calls on my cell.  I did cancel my land line provider.

13 REPLIES 13

@Cheryl6 wrote:

On the public site, when signing up, they ask if  you want them to cancel the current account.  I said yes.  A couple days later, I called the current (at the time) provider and cancelled myself as I didn't want to incurr any more charges from them.

HI @Cheryl6   oh, you shouldn't call the landline to cancel

I see you are ready to give up the number.  In case you change your mind, call your landline company.  Many can reactivate briefly for you to port out.  You can call them and see what are your options

@Cheryl6 wrote:

Yes, it was a real land line.  I've had it for over 30 years!  I'm happy to be switching to a cell now though, and well, out with the old and in with the new!  

I never got a clear answer for all this time I am here: will one who transfers Real land line to mobile provider be able to receive 2FA codes?

These codes are send to Real mobile numbers and will not go to Real land line. I still do have land line and tried it few times so speak from experience. If you care for SMS from banks, government, etc. to be send to Real mobile phone I would think twice or get ironclad confirmation 2FA will go to your 'transferred land line number' on mobile device.

Here is simple example. Area code 905 first 3 digits 859-xxxx it clearly stats it is Land line

Yummy_0-1665870605228.png

This one is Bell but it is mobile service so I am fully confident 2FA SMS will go to this one but in doubt on previous one above.

Yummy_1-1665870681135.png

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

It's unfortunate that you didn't come here to ask "does this really take this long?" before you did anything. Even if it meant paying for another month, I would think they would prorate you when it finally went through and they closed your account...after you gave your authorization. But you didn't. So here you are. Welcome to Public Mobile.

Cheryl6

Yes, it was a real land line.  I've had it for over 30 years!  I'm happy to be switching to a cell now though, and well, out with the old and in with the new!  

Cheryl6

I have had the number for many years, but it's too much of a pain to do all the work to keep it lol.  Plus, this is my first cell, ya, I'm really old school lol.  I think I'm just excited to have it!

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Usually transferring land line takes up to 7 days but these days when everybody has 'covid' excuse it might take longer.

Was that 'real' land line? What was the area code and first 3 digits of your phone?

Interesting. Most people with a landline would want to keep their number. So that's easy. You must really have a hate-on for that provider 🙂

Cheryl6

ok thank you.  I'll just chose a new number through public.  Thanks for your help!

Then there's the problem. Landlines do typically take longer to finish transferring. You still would have needed to give them authorization but the fact you cancelled it yourself then you'll need to go back to them and figure out how to reinstate it and then do another transfer request and wait this time. I would imagine the landline company will do pro-rating.

It's about unauthorized transfers. The way you did it and expecting to have the number would mean anybody could just take your number whenever they like. No. You need to be the customer authorizing the transfer. For a cell transfer, you get a text and you have to reply to it.

Cheryl6

On the public site, when signing up, they ask if  you want them to cancel the current account.  I said yes.  A couple days later, I called the current (at the time) provider and cancelled myself as I didn't want to incurr any more charges from them.

Cheryl6

ok,  tried all that and it didn't work

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Did you give them your authorization to allow the transfer? Upon doing that, they would close the account. Did you close the account yourself?

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Cheryl6 

It can take a lot of time, but shouldn't take this long. Try rebooting your phone, resetting Network connections, toggling airplane mode on and off, and removing and reinserting your sim card

Need Help? Let's chat.