cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If switching from another provider to Public, can I keep my old number?

quick5
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm looking to start my own phone plan. I've been a part of a family plan for many years but now I'm striking out on my own. I'm thinking of switching to Public. Can I keep my current phone number?

23 REPLIES 23

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

You can port the number only if Telus offers service in the exchange area that your current number belongs to.   Check here. 

👍 @Handy1 

@HALIMACS  Cool thanks for understanding, and hope you seeing an improvement in me since day 1 when I started 

Less a “critique” and certainly not “offensive” to me @Handy1 

Indeed, I’ve gone back and added larger edits to posts, but try to avoid when someone has subsequently added substantially the same information earlier.

🙂

@HALIMACS  I just have to be conscious of hitijng space bar after selecting name for it not to happen but up until we had the discussion about it before I had no idea why … so hitting space bar seems to be working for me not to get multiple @

The @ repeater happens to me when I tap @ and don’t select a user.

It’s a glitch for sure.

@dust2dust  Ok sorry if such happens ever again I’ll just not add the rest of my intended post 

@Handy1- We've all been there. Things happen. But the appropriate thing here is to indicate the edit. Your first reply was exactly correct. The edit simply filled out more detail. But that's an edit.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

@quick5 wrote:

I'm looking to start my own phone plan. I've been a part of a family plan for many years but now I'm striking out on my own. I'm thinking of switching to Public. Can I keep my current phone number?

Yes, you can keep your old number!

PORTING IN

- Get new PM SIM card.

- Open PM account and activate SIM. You would need unique email and to pay a bill right away for the next 30 days of service.

- For starters pick any phone number in your desirable area code. (You can initiate transfer number when you activate SIM but I personally prefer this way not to mess things up.)

- Verify all services work as expected: SMS/calls/Internet.

- Initiate number transfer at old provider; BOTH accounts have to be active and in good standing.

- KEEP old SIM in your phone; you will receive transfer authorization request very soon.

- Reply Yes to request within 90 minutes.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@quick5 

Yes you can, this is called Porting your number.

- Just remember to keep your old account Active or you can’t port over.

- Leave the old SIM in your phone and reply to the text confirming you are porting over to PM with YES within the 90 minute window. If you missed without reply within 90 minutes then porting will be cancelled…then the long process of contacting a CS_Agent to restart the porting process.

- After confirming, your old SIM will continue to work for about 2 hours. When it stopped working, power off the phone and swap the SIM.

@HALIMACS  I’m getting better with the @ @@  figured out where I was going wrong there , what I edit in was a copy pasted response I have for such questions and as I said phone glitched sign me out had sign back in to finish my post 

@HALIMACS  I’m more concentrated on the answer and info op wants than critiquing, sorry to offend anyone 

We do @ @hate those @ @glitches,  eh @Handy1  and @dust2dust 

👊

@dust2dust  My phone glitched out had to sign back in to finish post

That's a huge added edit,  @Handy1 . 

Kind of resembles my reply second to yours.  Good info though !!!

"When transferring (porting) your number to any new carrier it’s important to remember to leave the old providers SIM card in the phone until you receive the confirmation text from old carrier @that point you have 90 mins to reply YES to the confirmation text … also when going thru this process the new provider will want you old providers account number and will ask for IMEI number disregard this (IMEI) number as it has a tendency to just cos porting hiccups .. so if your ready to port to pm and already activated a SIM card you can go to your self serve serve profile tab and change /transfer (port) number this can also be done on activation but it’s advised to pick a temp number first then port"

Good catch... i think i was thinking when porting after the fact. 

I'll update accordingly. 

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@quick5 

Yes, you can port your old number to Public mobile. 

Here is some more information:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/activation-account-set-up

Information needed from your current carrier: account holder name, account number and phone number. 

Any other questions, just let us know.  

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

@HALIMACS- Both services? 🙂

@quick5- What's implied in the above post is that you need to leave the old sim in a phone to reply to that text.

Adding - not cool @Handy1 . That's a giant after the fact edit.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@quick5 

The way to do this is to ensure (edit) prior service provider account is active, then you request porting during the activation process.

You will need to reply "yes" to the port authorization text from your prior provider.

Then you place Public Mobile SIM card in your device and you're good to go.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@quick5  Yes you can 

When transferring (porting) your number to any new carrier it’s important to remember to leave the old providers SIM card in the phone until you receive the confirmation text from old carrier @that point you have 90 mins to reply YES to the confirmation text … also when going thru this process the new provider will want you old providers account number and will ask for IMEI number disregard this (IMEI) number as it has a tendency to just cos porting hiccups .. so if your ready to port to pm and already activated a SIM card you can go to your self serve serve profile tab and change /transfer (port) number this can also be done on activation but it’s advised to pick a temp number first then port 

Need Help? Let's chat.