cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPhone 5S showing "unlocked" but now using SIMCARD in Ireland says it's locked.

Keji
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Before leaving for Ireland, we checked my husband's old IPhone5S to make sure it was "unlocked" which it said in the settings and I was sure it was an unlocked phone anyway. Now in Ireland they took out the Public Mobile card to insert a Vodaphone SIM card but the person installing it can't get the phone to work because apparently the phone is locked! Can anyone help with this? He is desperate to use the phone and this should not have happened. Perhaps the person at the airport who is supposed to know about phones might have changed a setting?? Thanks for any help!!

8 REPLIES 8

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Keji 

Good thing Telus unlocked your iPhone 5S for you and you still had box for the IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) of the phone but it can be easily retrieve by dialing *#06#.

Keji

Yep, that helped - the CS agent said to call the folks I bought it from -Telus - as it really sounded as if it were still locked. It was!! 

Keji

Thanks, sent the info by email to my husband. Found out through a CS agent here after contacting Telus that the phone was still locked. They were able to unlock it quickly as I still had all the purchase info from 10 years ago. Now to get that message to my husband by email as he is staying somewhere without a landline or other phone!!

Keji

Thanks so much. Got hold of Telus after contacting a CS agent here, and had the box from 10 years ago with the IME number of whatever it is, and sure enough it was still locked. They've unlocked it. Yay. Still don't know why it said in one of the settings that it was unlocked. 

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Keji 

If you are sure the iPhone 5S is unlocked, try resetting the Network setting. Go to Settings>General>scroll to bottom of page to Transfer & Reset iPhone>Reset>Reset Network Settings with the new SIM in the iPhone. See if that works.

Keji

Thanks! I sent a pm as you suggested. The Vodafone sim won't work. Darn it all. Might be that the phone is old.It was my castoff but has been working fine here and as far as I know was an unlocked phone. 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Keji 

You can find out if your iPhone is locked by going to Settings > General > About. If "No SIM restrictions" appears next to Carrier Lock, your iPhone is unlocked.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Keji you got the phone from Telus or PM? Of so, they might be able to help unlocking it, message them:

**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply to you there

Add: but it Vodafone sim works, it should be unlocked, try Reset Network Settings 

Need Help? Let's chat.