cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I’m roaming in US, phone won’t accept calls from Canada. My calls to Canada are limited to 60s

mmesford
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My plan has unlimited Talk to the US and Canada, and unlimited international texting. I’ve added:

1G data roaming,

250M data roaming,

US Roaming - unlimited text (added twice),

1000 US Long distance minutes, 

US roaming, unlimited talk (added twice)

Obviously, I’ve resorted to throwing money at the problem but nothing is working. People who call say my phone goes right to voice mail (it’s always on and the ringer is on). If I call my wife in Canada we can talk for about a minute, then I hear three beeps and a few seconds later the call is disconnected. Texting seems to mostly work. What do I need to do?

21 REPLIES 21

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@jyb 

If you do end up deciding to give up that plan do you plan on porting out the number? Or even if you don't port out the phone number there is value in that plan for somebody else. Of course you could be altruistic and just allow someone to take over your account once you remove all the personal information. There are many many people who want that plan a private negotiation can be considered. If it comes to that and you want advice on how to do an account transfer send me a private message and I will relate personal experience in account transfers. But let's hope it doesn't come to that and telus via public well implements VoLTE calling.

jyb
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

It has been a good plan for a few years. We spend equal amount of time in USA as in Canada so the USA component is very important to us. I will give it till we get down there and if no fix I will use AT&T prepaid 300.00 for a year unlimited talk text and 16g hi speed data useable whether in Canada USA or Mexico. That will be my only cell phone plan. 

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@mmesford wrote:

US roaming, unlimited talk (added twice)

The US roaming TALK add-on - added twice/overlapping add-ons is known to cause the 60-second call disconnection issue while roaming. You'll need to open a ticket with the CS agents to remove one of those roaming talk add-ons so they are not overlapping to resolve it...

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@jyb 

Yes that thought occurred to me as I was writing my post but it not being originally your thread I didn't have a quick reference.

Now maybe if we get ......

@Nezgar 

(why is this so hard to tag other members?!!)

To confirm if call forwarding works normally with this plan while roaming in the US then you can use the work around if necessary for a couple of months if Telus takes till the end of the year to implement VoLTE.

Unless you want to pay a lot more for services you don't need or use a US provider for half of your year and roam up here when you're in Canada the $60 plan is quite a nice little compromise between the two even if you have to use a workaround this winter I don't think telus we'll wait any longer than this winter season to implement VoLTE.

jyb

As I have said previously many times. I have the 60.00 plan since its inception.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@jyb 

Ultimately the info on when will come from Telus because unlike this time two years ago when public mobile was a separate entity owned by Telus it is now just a separate department. There is no longer a pm President, upper management team, marketing department or an escalations department....it's all run by Telus and/or koodo. 

In reality you would be better off using the workaround with the $15 plan and mint mobile (or your US provider of choice) or suspending your pm account for 88 days>>reactivate for 30 days>>suspend for 88 and so on....even if they implement VoLTE.

Unless of course you have the legacy $60 Canada/US Roaming plan then Yes you deserve a more definitive answer but it's also a plan Telus would rather you don't keep because its a loss leader and would prefer you pay $115/50gb of data you don't need to increase their ARPU.

jyb

No to be fair I have used roaming service for 6 months per year since 1996. NO glitches. 2G service with T Mobile is garbage where I live.. I am NOT looking for a refund. I am looking for an eta on if and when they may fix this issue. If they are not going to I will move to a full US plan. They are still taking my money every month and not providing service or up front of when there will be a fix. YES that is dishonest.

jyb

It is PM that take my money each month for a service that they do not provide. I am very aware that they are owned by Telus.. 2G on T Mobile is garbage where I live. They are not being up front on if and when they are going to fix the problem. I will lay blame on the company that accepts my money and does not even have the kahunas to give customers an eta on the fix. Very shady at best.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@jyb 

Actually if you want to lay blame then lay it on the culprit.... Telus as they control the implementation of VoLTE. As far as prepaid providers for pm is offering more than most as they are the only provider with a choice when roaming in the US. Every other provider has roaming agreements with AT&T only whereas pm also has a roaming agreement with T-Mobile who luckily for pm customers also still has a 2G network to handle voice calls until VoLTE is enabled for pm customers.

@jyb wrote:

PM has and still is making a mess of this. They are NOT being forthcoming on when or if they are going to fix the US roaming problem. VERY poor judgement and dishonesty on their part. They are taking our money and do not deliver the product that is payed for. At worst they should give us some kind of eta so we can decide whether to boot them or hang in there. 

HI @jyb   if you are talking about the mess about 3G shutdown in US, maybe.. but PM still try their best to deliver the service on T-Mobile 2G network.   To be fair, using roaming overseas is not 100% "bullet-proof" , it can have different kind of connection issue.  PM has been very fair, usually if the service  didn't work , they will not hesitate to either provider full refund or provider partial refund , depends on the situation.

But OP issue is likely because 2 add-ons purchased and they both have voice and conflicted with each other, I don't see that being a "dishonesty", it is at max a system glitch  

jyb

PM has and still is making a mess of this. They are NOT being forthcoming on when or if they are going to fix the US roaming problem. VERY poor judgement and dishonesty on their part. They are taking our money and do not deliver the product that is payed for. At worst they should give us some kind of eta so we can decide whether to boot them or hang in there. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@dust2dust wrote:

@srlawren- Indeed because you won't see the same name add-on after purchase. So are you going to update your how to purchase add-ons reference post? 🙂

@dust2dust I think that thing is now very out of date and honestly no I don't see myself doing that any time soon.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren- Indeed because you won't see the same name add-on after purchase. So are you going to update your how to purchase add-ons reference post? 🙂

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@darlicious wrote:

@mmesford 

Goodness gracious....how did you manage to add all of those US Roaming add ons...duplicates shouldn't have even been possible?

@darlicious it's unfortunately easy: buy either of the roaming bundles (which both include US roaming talk + US roaming text) plus buy the talk and/or text roaming stand-alone.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@mmesford 

Goodness gracious....how did you manage to add all of those US Roaming add ons...duplicates shouldn't have even been possible? Try downloading TextNow so you can have a conversation with your spouse without interruption. TextNow will work on wi-fi and mobile data. 

Have the CSA remove everything but whatever US Roaming add on that you used data from. Then have the CSA add the talk+text bundle if you don't already have the talk+text+250mb data bundle. (Not that you need it with textnow and data but you have concede some of what you bought.) The rest will be credited to your account. You can purchase more data if you run out. Have a read of the following linked post after you have contacted customer support for help to sort out your account.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/US-Roaming-Add-ons-Decommissioning-of-US-...

@hairbag1- Once the excess is removed then we move on to why the problem happened in the first place and why all the money was thrown at it. It's at that point that we can entertain the first reply.

@mmesford- Talk is very problematic in the states these days. Even roaming has seemed to come to a point of near non-function. So T-Mobile lets us use their old 2G network for talk. But text and data should be fine. I say should with a shovel full of salt behind me.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@mmesford wrote:

My plan has unlimited Talk to the US and Canada, and unlimited international texting. I’ve added:

1G data roaming,

250M data roaming,

US Roaming - unlimited text (added twice)...remove X 1

1000 US Long distance minutes...these will only work when the call originates in Canada

US roaming, unlimited talk (added twice)...remove  X 1

Leave these on your account and you'll be able to call most US number when you get home.

Follow advise (above) and have CSA remove duplicates as that's what the problem is.

@Timer- Why didn't you say that before? You're just repeating what I said after I said it.

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@mmesford 

contact support team by private message CS_Agent  to remove those Add-ons not need to added twice.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

What a mess. The 1000 minutes won't work in the states. The roaming talk bought twice...how? As part of a bundle? Or standalone? There are two bundles and one standalone. Having multiple talk is a known problem. The multiple text may be a problem but not sure.

Maybe post an image of your payment history from here so we can see but just from what you've said, you're going to need the support people to remove the extra parts and credit you back those amounts.

Adding - like keep the talk/text/data bundle and remove the talk/text bundle. The other 1gb should be fine.

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@mmesford 

manually select network for  T-mobile  and rebooting device.

Need Help? Let's chat.