cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PM Says That US Roaming is Not Enabled but I have purchased it. Please HELP!

Amanda_S
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have spent over $100 on add on packages 1. the 1GB data for US add on and 2. 1000 talk minutes US roaming add on. 

This lead me to believe that I could use my phone like normal while I travelled from Ontario Canada to San Francisco, and around the rest of California. 

I also have a Canadian phone plan that says I have unlimited SMS texts Internationally.

I am UNABLE to send any SMS texts, I'm UNABLE to call anyone at this time and I also don't have any data although it says on my account that I've used some of my roaming data up! 

Public Mobile, what on earth is going on?!

I don't know where I went wrong but I really need this to work.

I paid for these add on yesterday by clicking to 'pay with card on file' and they've charged my credit card, yet I don't see any 'add on' added to my profile. 

Can anyone please help? I need to call my elderly father back home so this is important. 

Thank you. 

Message says: sorry, your call could not be completed because your plan does not include a US roaming add on...

25 REPLIES 25

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

You probably do have 2G. In my Samsung - settings, connections, mobile networks - network mode. You probably have LTE/3G/2G. 3G is very spotty if at all due to the roaming partners ongoing shutting down of their 3G networks. Public uses 3G for talk.

When you do get this sorted and you do get the bundle then you could even verify that T-Mobile uses 2G where you are if you set that setting to 2G only. Then try to call 611 and see if it works. Then set it back and try again and see what happens. It should automatically switch down to 2G to do the call.

@Amanda_S wrote:

-It looks like T-Mobile is available here. Is it not fine if I have 3G? How can I tell if my phone can do 2G? I have an S21 Samsung

@Amanda_S  Yes, your phone is backward compatible with 2G 

@Amanda_S wrote:

-Unfortunately I don't know anyone who I would call in the states, therefore the 1000 minutes are useless to me if I'm back in Canada. 

If you have US roaming voice, call any number in US to test (google any business in your US city and see if it works)  Or ask your family to call your number and see if it rings

Amanda_S

-It looks like T-Mobile is available here. Is it not fine if I have 3G? How can I tell if my phone can do 2G? I have an S21 Samsung

-Unfortunately I don't know anyone who I would call in the states, therefore the 1000 minutes are useless to me if I'm back in Canada. 

-I'd much rather be able to use those minutes to call while I am here and needing to call either to another Public Mobile phone here (the person I'm travelling with), Or to call back to Canada which is what I really need them for. (To call family and work). 

-I really hope that CS is able to help me get that credit back on my account and at least I can try the Bundle. If that doesn't work, at least I know that I tried everything, but I really need the credit back on my account before I can purchase the Bundle. 

Just be very aware that talk in the states is very problematic. The only way is through T-Mobile and your phone needs to be able to do 2G and you need to be in a 2G coverage area.

Do you ever think to call numbers in the states? Then you could choose to keep the 1000 minutes. But if you have previous freebie calling minutes then never mind.

Amanda_S

Thank you! I've just sent a direct message to the CS_Agent. I did not include my personal information here - just in the direct message. I hope they see it and are able to fix this mess soon enough. I think I understand what went wrong. 

I think for future, (or maybe it was just me), they need to be clearer about what US add on's are for and which ones can be used while TRAVELLING in the U.S.A. 

I'm really hoping to get a credit back for the items that I incorrectly purchased (due to being confused about what they were for), and then I will buy the bundle which will hopefully allow my phone to work like normal as I travel. It is difficult when you rely on your data/calls for family and work while travelling, and it doesn't work properly. I do appreciate everyone's advice and suggestions here though. 🙂 What a great support team!  

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Scroll way up to see the reply from a CS_Agent. He even includes some information for you to put in. Click on the little envelope next to your sim card avatar and then click the little pencil on pad icon and then click in the to field and start typing cs_agent. It will pop and you can select it. Then type whatever in the subject box. And then of course the body.

Don't give all that information here.

Amanda_S

Oh goodness, I'm even more confused now. I AM on the rewards program...but I had to sign in/up to something else in order to chat in here? 

Here are the details one last time that hopefully make sense and I'm typing them out so I can make sense of it. Do you know how I can contact CS support to help me correct the wrong ones I've purchased?

-I have been a public mobile customer for over 3 years. I am on the rewards program. 

-I currently have a plan that allows me 4.5 GB per month at 3G speed, Unlimited Canada-Wide Talk & Unlimited International Text. **HOWEVER, does this mean only incoming texts? Because I can't seem to send any SMS texts OUT from the USA right now. I thought this was included with my normal plan?

-I accidently purchased a 1GB Add on for $15 when I didn't need it. *Can I have these funds added as a credit to my account to use to purchase the Bundle?

-I also purchased x1 1000 U.S. Long Distance minutes for $15. *I believe you are saying this was wrong because this is only to use for calling the US from Canada? Can I have these funds added as a credit? 

-I ALSO purchased x1 US Roaming - 1GB (10 days) for $20. I understand this is what I can actually use right now? Is that correct? 

Basically I would like to know how to get the $30 credit put back onto my account for the two items I don't need - then I'm going to purchase the BUNDLE so that I can use my phone here. 

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get the textnow app working as wifi has been spotty and I didn't want to use up my Data. 

If someone could please let me know how to add the $30 credit to my account so I can purchase the Bundle asap, that would be so appreciated. thank you! 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Amanda_S 

Just as a reminder for the message the CSA left you here in your thread.... don't put any of that information here in the community forum just in your private message to them.

Now I understand your reference to your purchases. $15 is your plan amount + you bought the $15/1000min US long distance minutes add-on+$20/1gb US Roaming data add on. If you have downloaded textnow and have been using it successfully with your US roaming data add-on decide whether or not you need to use your public mobile phone # for calling and texting while you are in the US or if the textnow app will suffice. If that works for you then there's no need to spend the extra money to purchase the bundle.

If you happen to run out of data you can then immediately purchase 500 MB or 250 MB US Roaming data add-ons or the US bundle with data immediately. For the US 1GB data add-on that you currently have you would have to wait either 24 hours after it expires to purchase it again or contact customer support at the time that it expires to get the CSA's assistance to allow you to purchase it again.

You can get a credit to your account for any of the add-ons you've purchased by mistake (which it looks like it is just the US $15/1000 minutes add on) you can contact customer support to do that now or you could just wait until you're almost out of data and contact customer support then ask for the credit and arrange for them to add the 1 GB of US roaming data once it runs out using your credit. You may have to get them to add an extra $5 if your credit is only $15 from the 1000 US minutes.

Additionally if you are on the new points program (vs $$ rewards program) you may have enough points to redeem for a US roaming add-on. Login to your rewards account (using the same login credentials as your self-serve account) to see your points total. Since add-ons are discounted when being redeemed with points this will save you between 25% and 50% off the normal purchase price. For example the US roaming data add-ons are redeemable with points: 1gb/15pts=$15($5 off), 500mb/10pts=$10($5 off) and 250mb/5pts =$5($5 off). Do not join public points if you are on the rewards program!!

You may find that you only have a couple of days left in your trip when you run out of data so you might only need to purchase or redeem for one of the lesser amounts (500mb/250mb). You won't need a CSA to add one of the lesser amount of US roaming data add-ons so arranging for your account to be credited for the $15/US/1000 minutes add-on purchased in error might be best done now....and for your peace of mind.

@Amanda_S- as already mentioned, the 1000 minutes is only usable in Canada. You could keep it for future use while at home and needing to call the US. The 1gb should work. Inbound texting should work. You would need other add-ons to talk and outbound texting. Or use a voip app having the 1gb or of course wifi. Just to be sure of what you're connected to, use T-Mobile. AT&T seems to have cut us off. Seems to. But let us know any experience there.

Amanda_S

Okay! This makes some sense because I purchased the bundle in May when I was in New York and that worked just fine. I wasn't sure it that's because it is closer to Toronto, ON? 

I have paid $15 + $20 for US 1000 talk  minutes + separately 1GB US data Roaming. Will Public Mobile either refund me or use this money as credit for me in Canada if I go ahead and buy the bundle now? I am hesitant to spend even more money on any more add ons that don't work! 

Should I try purchasing the BUNDLE package and see if that works? I need to know I can get a refund if these don't work. Thank you. 

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@Amanda_S 

These are the ONLY add ons that you can use in the USA. 

Screen Shot 2022-08-26 at 6.57.13 AM.png

@Amanda_S 

Please do not provide any personally information in here.. just in your private message send to  CS_Agent

Hi @CS_Agent

please for next time put it a note to customer confounded where is send personally information..or contact them to  private message..thanks.

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Greetings.

Thanks for reaching out! Let me take a look over the account and see how I can help! 
In order for Public Mobile to protect the privacy of our customers, we need first to get your account authenticated. 
May I have your 10 digit phone number and the 4 digit PIN of your Public Mobile account or alternatively   answer to at least three of  the following questions:
- the last payment amount and the date
- the last four digits of a registered credit card
- the Public Mobile account number 
- the last add-on purchased and the date 
- the email noted on the account

Kindly, 
Clau- CS agent 

@Amanda_S 

PM contact support team by CS_Agent  to remove it those Add-ons..

@Amanda_S wrote:

Hi there, 

Sorry I am being confusing now. But no! I have purchased the correct ones! I ORGINALLY purchased the wrong one (The one for use in Canada only) but realized my mistake.

I then (a few minutes later) purchased the following for myself: 

x1 US Roaming 1GB (10 day) $20  AND

x1 1000 U.S. Long Distance Minutes

I thought both of these would all me to call, text and receive SMS messages while in the USA? I also believe I have unlimited SMS text messages on my phone plan, which just don't work here?

I'm not so concerned about text but really want my calls and Data to work while I'm out of wifi area. 

Sorry to sound dramatic lol I am just really in need of this. And also would like a refund if I can't use PM services while away. 

Your public mobile plan only works whilst you are in Canada only @Amanda_S ...only exception to this if is if you are on a Canada/USA calling plan that used to be available a few years ago.

x1 US Roaming 1GB (10 day) $20  - this one should work for you in USA

x1 1000 U.S. Long Distance Minutes - this one will NOT work in USA...ONLY for use whilst in Canada

You need the addons that say Roaming on the description of the addon.

You are not sounding dramatic. You are simply inquiring, as you should be to get the help you need.

You will not likely to be able to get your plan amount refunded, but perhaps credits on your account for incorrect addons purchased. Note - any addons will only work on an Active public mobile plan.

Amanda_S

Thank you again for all of your help. Unfortunately I have to disconnect from Wifi now. I'll have to try and remedy this later or tomorrow but I do appreciate all of the replies and it's made me feel better that it's likely not just me doing things wrong. (I hope)! 

Amanda_S

Hi there, 

Sorry I am being confusing now. But no! I have purchased the correct ones! I ORGINALLY purchased the wrong one (The one for use in Canada only) but realized my mistake.

I then (a few minutes later) purchased the following for myself: 

x1 US Roaming 1GB (10 day) $20  AND

x1 1000 U.S. Long Distance Minutes

I thought both of these would all me to call, text and receive SMS messages while in the USA? I also believe I have unlimited SMS text messages on my phone plan, which just don't work here?

I'm not so concerned about text but really want my calls and Data to work while I'm out of wifi area. 

Sorry to sound dramatic lol I am just really in need of this. And also would like a refund if I can't use PM services while away. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Amanda_S 

Go to the bottom of the roaming info post and you can click on either link to submit a ticket via simon the chatbot or send a private message to customer support. Then keep an eye on your private message box the little envelope icon next to your avatar at the top right corner of your screen. They've been answering in about 15 or 20 minutes today.

Edit:

It's easiest to just ask for a credit to your account and it will be used for your next renewal as refunds can take up to 30 days to be processed back to your card.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@softech I believe OP answered both your questions in their original post. 🙂

@Amanda_S - so you were charged for the addons. Okay, you need Roaming TALK addons purchased though.

Is sounds like you purchased these below, which are for use whilst only in Canada:esjliv_0-1661474788188.png

You need this one for TALK Roaming in the USA:

esjliv_1-1661474846363.png

Buy the correct Roaming TALK addon and submit a ticket to CSA for incorrect ones purchased after explaining what happened.

Public Mobile Representatives customer support agents (CSA) can be contacted by either two methods, found here:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/contact-an-agent

Ensure to restart your phone and/or perform a reset of your phone's network settings to get connected to the proper network.

Get Help Article for Roaming and things for reference:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/us-roaming#:~:text=Troubleshooting%20U.S.%20Roam...

RD82
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Last week had service from Thunderbay ON border to Duluth, MN and about an hour in to Wisconsin.  No service from there through Michigan.  I would also think that it is re 3g service being dropped.

Amanda_S

Thank you for this information and the options for a quick solution. I'll look into that. In the meantime, how do I get a refund for the money I've just been charged (yesterday) on my credit card? I have spend over $100 (for myself and partner) for items we cannot use? Is there a way to get a refund here? 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Amanda_S 

Are you on wi-fi? If so download textnow and pick a Canadian phone #. Now you can text and call in and out. You will still receive Public Mobile incoming SMS text messages on your phone.

Voice calls are already a little tricky so having the text now app will allow you to call while you are on Wi-Fi or mobile data and sounds like your mobile data is working with a little troubleshooting to get a good connection and then if it's not working right now we'll have it working for you soon.

The other add-ons $15/1000min won't work it's for calling from Canada to the US but now you can call for free on text now so you can ask for that add-on to be removed and your account credited when you get back or when you have time don't worry about it right now you won't be able to use them so you're fine.

Have a read of this post that will explain all about us roaming what's going on down there and give you coverage maps and handy links and if you have more questions come back and ask us we can help.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/US-Roaming-Add-ons-Decommissioning-of-US-...

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Many people (especially recently) have been having a lot of trouble where it may be spotty at best and not usable at all, much of that has do with the 3G shutdown and then depends on the device and your location in the US, it is very misleading. Other alternatives such as local prepaid sim or voip apps are much more reliable and cost effective.

Amanda_S

I am in San Francisco. I purchased the add on(s) yesterday. I understand that they expire after 10 days. I'm using my computer to send these messages here. I'm not sure what you mean by manually connect to T-Mobile? Is that in the APN settings? 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Amanda_S when did you buy your ID roaming addon?  they all have 10 days, 240 hours expiiry 

Which US city you are at now?  First try to manually connect to T-MOBILE and see if you can connext

Need Help? Let's chat.