cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I got a data usage alert, but I've used hardly any

twocrazydots
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My data usage shows almost no use, but I'm still out.  How is that possible?  My usage shows only around 125MB usage when my plan includes 1GB.

10 REPLIES 10

I usually just use my renewal to remind myself.😃

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Another idea is to set a reminder on your phone every 30 Days to reset your phone's own data counter.  All phones typically come with a Calendar app that you can use to remind yourself to reset the counter.  🙂

cos that is the "official" unofficial apps here  🙂

but it is true, would be nice if the original developer made an update to the app

Another app you can try on android would be Data Counter Widget.  It has a widget you can add on the home screen for easy checking your usage.  

og2
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I don't know why people suggest downloading an outdated app that can potentially leak personal info...

BlueB

@HALIMACS 

That's a good idea even for Android users too.  It's too bad the option wasn't built-in to many phones to set data cycles by #-Days too.  I'm not sure about the newest phones/OS, but it's too bad that several existing phones don't have that option.

You're correct @BlueB 

The PM Data Witness app (mentioned previously by @TheGx ) is said to be a great resource for those wanting better data tracking/management.

I believe it's only Android applicable though, and the few users in our realm are all Apple, so it's a matter of resetting their device's data counter the night before renewal if they want to monitor their data consumption relative to their data allotment.

BlueB

@twocrazydots 

Unless you got a text message from Public Mobile, it's likely your phone tracking your data usage that isn't accurate.  If you log into Public Mobile, you'll see the actual data they're counting.

It's hard to configure your phone to accurately measure cellular-only data within your 30-day renewal cycle.  If it's off a day or counting Wifi data, etc, it will be inaccurate.  Many devices will likely have calendar dates for resetting tracking, but not always #-days.

Double check My Account and see what data it says you've actually used.  🙂  Let us know if there's still a discrepancy.

https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@twocrazydots 

The definitive indicator of data usage is under your self serve area under My Data and Add-ons.  That will display whether you have any data remaining if there is any left.

If there isn't, the line item will not be displaying.

See screenshot below:

HALIMACS_0-1621166621597.png

A lot of users tend to refer to their device's data counter, however those does not coincide with Public Mobile's 30-day billing cycles;  they usually run calendar month to calendar month. 

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@twocrazydots wrote:

My data usage shows almost no use, but I'm still out.  How is that possible?  My usage shows only around 125MB usage when my plan includes 1GB.

Is the alert by text from Public Mobile or is it yoru phone givng you notificaiton?  Public Mobile doesn't control your phone notifications.  Check the phone settings for the warning limit and see if the start date matches your renewal date. It won't match because Public Mobile doesn't have monthly plans.

TheGx

@twocrazydots :Try log into self serve then goto data usage to see when the usage was, then compare to your phone records to deduce what happened. There an app called Data Witness PM you can try, it was created by a Public Mobile customer.

Need Help? Let's chat.