cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I got Emergency alert every 1 min non-stop since 6 am

Gorman
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

This is not the first time I am having the issue, non-stop emergency alert for every 1 minute but this time started from 6 am this morning till now (11:48 am). There is no way to stop it from the phone setting.

15 REPLIES 15

Gorman

I will set it on Airplane mode, and hope the alert will be terminated when I turn the service back on. Thanks.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Gorman   Yikes!  That's frustrating.  Fingers crossed that another user with more technical knowledge knows how to stop the alerts for you.  I know I'd be ready to ditch my phone by now. 

Do you have another spare phone you can use until you're able to figure this out?

Gorman

Thanks dabr,

I have tried the settings thoroughly but no difference. 

dabr
Mayor / Maire

HI @Gorman   What kind of phone is that? 

you can change your Network type to 3G Only.  Some phones call it WCDMA Only or HSPA Only

Gorman

Thanks for the research but 4G doesn't have LTE option I can turn off.

Gorman

The phone is on 4G network, not the newest but not an old model.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Gorman    There is an older thread on how to stop receiving the emergency alerts altogether.  I have no idea if this works or is something you want to do but you can read the following thread:  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/why-do-I-keep-getting-amber-alters-for-ot...

Gorman

I have tried all possible setting on the phone. We have 3 phones in the house and only this phone behaves abnormally. Even I turned off the phone, the confirmation OK button got accumulated when I turned it on which hints me the alert is still sending when it was off. This can be possible only at PM side since the phone was off. 

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Gorman    I doubt PM has anything to do with emergency alerts as those would be mandated by provincial governments.  As far as I know, those alerts cannot be turned off because of the risk to someone's life.  However, it's not supposed to keep sounding the alert every few minutes, so that maybe something on the settings of your phone?

Is the phone an older model?

Gorman

Hi dabr,

Yes, exactly, it keep sounds every 1 minute for more than 6 hours and still coming. I guess there is a setting at Public Mobile side.

Gorman

The alert is about an incident in Langley, not sure if it is provincial wide. I can delete alert history but cannot stop new one keep coming. There is a page for Emergency Alert setting but no way to set it off. I did try power cycling several times but no use. Thanks.

@hTideGnow    There was a major shooting incident in the lower mainland (BC) this morning and I got two alerts early this morning.  Fortunately, they didn't repeat for me once I clicked OK.  

@Gorman   That sounds frustrating, hopefully, it's a simple fix in the settings.

edit:  @Gorman   So the alerts kept coming even after clicking OK?

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

There was a shooter incident in Langley BC this morning...lotsa confusion. Perhaps that was the reason for the Emergency Alerts if you're near Langley.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Gorman  What kind of Emergency alert is that?  those provincial wide thing?

can you delete that alert, or clear cache of the messaging app?

try to reseat the sim card.  make sure you power off first

Need Help? Let's chat.