cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cannot use the network on my OPPO A5 (CPH1809) anymore, what changed?

mzb
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My phone used to work fine on the public network up until a March 2021, but then stopped connecting entirely. The last firmware update was in January so that isn't the problem. Factory reset didn't work.

I even tried manually selecting the network, and my phone can detect bell, rogers and mts, but no Telus or public. My friend is also on public, and his phone was able to detect public mobile. 

What changed? How can I fix this? 

28 REPLIES 28

@mzb no problem. You'll probably be ok with that phone on PM everywhere except Winnipeg, Brandon, and Northwestern Ontario / Thunder Bay area where Bell has no 850 MHz spectrum.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sheytoon : Perfect! 🙂 And for those extra bonus points you could delete altogether the 2100 mention that you've struck out. But I don't care.

Your reference posts are invaluable around here. Thank you for your expert replies when needed.

No worries, is it ok now? If not, let me know what wording you would suggest.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sheytoon : I'm really trying not to pester you and of course you can tell me to go pound sand...might it also add clarity to your as always excellent reference post to add the bit about that band under your 3G heading as well. Or even just a "see note above".

850 MHz is no longer available in Winnipeg and Brandon for 3G and LTE. Most phones support additional LTE bands, so even if a user lost LTE B5, they could still use LTE B4, or B2, or B12, etc. Practically speaking, most people were negatively impacted by the loss of 850 on 3G because it was one of 2 bands used for voice calls. However, in this specific example, mzb's phone doesn't have any other compatible LTE bands, so they are completely out of service as they've lost all compatible 3G bands (which was only 850) and all compatible LTE bands (also only 850). There are different spectrum blocks within B5, some used for 3G, others used for LTE. Does that make more sense? 

Yes, as long as a phone can connect to any single band on 3G, the user will have full service for voice, text, data. In terms of LTE, any single band can support text and data (voice will come later with VoLTE). I don't know how to add that in without confusing people further, so I opted to keep the advice simple and tell people to get a phone that supports both 3G bands. That way they never have to worry about special regions with unique spectrum deployments.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sheytoon : So I get confused again. Wasn't the MB thing about 3G? You have it mentioned under LTE.

I acknowledge that we talked about the two bands back then but that one _could_ get away with just one of them.

@Anonymous I think the post you linked is still valid. My opinion is that people should buy phones that have B2 and B5 for 3G, as well as B4 and B12 for LTE. Otherwise they may end up in this exact scenario where they could be in trouble.

I updated this other post to indicate that B5 is no longer available in Winnipeg and Brandon.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@mzb wrote:

It seems its just a compatability issue ... I don't know anyone using another network but its worth a shot to rule out hardware issues.

Agreed, the problem is likely the network, not the device.

I just advised a quick and easy way to check whether or not the device is the problem. It's probably more convenient (definitely costs less) to borrow an active SIM card from friend's/family's phone for a couple minutes than to buy another phone - especially since you don't really know if another device will have the same problems on the same network anyhow.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mzb : This matter so far only applies to areas in MB.

That phone is a little light on LTE though as well.

It just limits what all towers you can connect to. Maybe this tower over here offers that frequency. Maybe that one over there doesn't. If you get closer to that other one then the connection to the first one could become very weak to the point of disconnecting resulting in no reception due to the closer tower not having that frequency.

mzb

@sheytoon 

Thank you for the details! If it at least works outside of MB, I won't have too many problems. I'll have to travel soon, hence why I'm looking into fixing this instead of getting a new phone or network change.

mzb

@Korth 

It seems its just a compatability issue. AFAIK it looks like after PMs network changes in March, my phone just isn't compatible anymore. I don't know anyone using another network but its worth a shot to rule out hardware issues.

mzb

@Anonymous 

Yeah network as a whole, no calls, no data nothing. And now that you mention that it might be working in some other areas, what are the odds of it working in Ontario for example? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sheytoon : Please please please can you update your old post . Also to mention that, as you said back in March, a phone _could_ work with just one of those WCDMA bands. And then maybe saying something about Manitoba.

@mzb 

Your phone doesn't support 3G band 2 (WCDMA 1900). It also doesn't support any LTE bands for Telus in Winnipeg and Brandon. https://www.oppo.com/in/smartphone-a5/specs/

Connectivity
Frequencies

GSM: 850/900/1800/1900MHz
WCDMA: 850/900/2100MHz
FDD-LTE: Bands 1/3/5/8
TD-LTE: Bands 38/40/41(2535-2655MHz)

Due to Telus deploying their own network in Winnipeg and Brandon earlier this year, the only option for voice calls on PM in your area is 3G 1900 MHz (band 2). This is because Telus lost access to the shared Bell/BellMTS/Rogers spectrum in urban Manitoba, which included 1900 MHz (band 2) and 850 MHz (band 5).

Bell and Rogers customers are not affected. Outside of Winnipeg and Brandon, you will not be affected, as Telus still has access to the shared Bell/Rogers network in rural Manitoba, and can still use 850 MHz (band 5).

With your phone, you were previously able to use 3G 850 MHz (band 5) and LTE 850 MHz (B5) for service. This is no longer available in urban Manitoba, as the spectrum is owned by Bell and Rogers.

Your only options are to switch to another provider or get a different phone.

Maybe try a different SIM card in the Oppo phone as well. Just borrow one from a friend (who gets service in the area) for a couple minutes, see if it works in the Oppo.

It could be hardware fault, bad radio components or whatever. Maybe the device got dropped or crushed one time too many, maybe some internal part just died prematurely because the manufacturer was too cheap. If the Oppo no longer works on other networks then the issue isn't specific to Public Mobile.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mzb : The phone has one of the two bands that this place uses. You might be able to find some reception elsewhere in your town or even just outside buildings. But it's certainly less than optimal now.

And to be specific, when you say network, you mean the network as a whole and not just internet access right?

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@mzb...try your sim in a newer phone. Sounds like the Oppo is outside of PM's network now. See if you can borrow a friends phone who has PM or Telus account.

You might hafta get a newer phone, I'm afeared.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mzb 

How to reset network settings on an Android device
  1. Open the Settings app on your Android.
  2. Scroll to and tap either "General management" or "System," depending on what device you have.
  3. Tap either "Reset" or "Reset options."
  4. Tap the words "Reset network settings."

or visit  HERE 

and go Changing APN Settings On Android device

click HERE

and can you have another device to try it and is will working right so no issue with SIM card the issue with your device

mzb

@Anonymous 

Thank you but I already looked into all that. It seems the issue stems from the network changes in March

mzb

@softech 

Yes it did, and he never faced an issue either. 

mzb

@hairbag1 

I recall this text. I didn't think of it at the time. Is there no option or solution here then?

@mzb wrote:

My sim has been in my friends phone these past few months. I never looked into the issue deeply until today and assumed it was a phone hardware issue. Yes its still active.

@mzb  so, when your SIM in your friend's phone , it was working without issue?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mzb 

can you visit Here 

mzb

My sim has been in my friends phone these past few months. I never looked into the issue deeply until today and assumed it was a phone hardware issue. Yes its still active.

mzb

Yes I am!

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@mzb 

Is your account Active in self service? 

Can you put you SIM card in your friend’s phone to see if it is a phone vs account issue?

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@mzb...are you in the Greater Winnipeg area per chance ?

Need Help? Let's chat.