cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can not receive SMS messages from a certain number

crochcunill
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Using iPhone 6

I can receive SMS messages with security verification codes from many providers. However, there is one that I can not received. I have contacted the provided and the answer is the SMS is sent but it is rejected.

I have checked the answers and follow the advice, from rebooting the phone to remove the SIMS card to no avail. I have checked the list of blocked numbers and the source in question is not there.

Is it possible the block is from the network itself more than the phone? If yes, who I need to contact to remove such block?

Thanks

28 REPLIES 28

crochcunill

Thanks for your reply. I was not aware of the services you have listed above! 

I have just submitted a ticket and I am crossing fingers. As I have mentioned before, the institution that is sending the message (a bank) is telling me the message is successfully sent but rejected by the destination network. To be honest, I do not finish to trust them, at the same time before having a tantrum and closing my accounts (always easier to say than to do...) I want to be completely sure that it is their fault.

Thanks again for the suggestion

crochcunill

The code is not there, so it should be no block at least from that list.

crochcunill

Thanks for the suggestion. I have rebooted the phone and the removed the previous messages I had received from the shortcode. It didn't work. I also tried to send a message to this shortcode but appears as unread (makes sense as it surely it is a daemon process)

crochcunill

Thanks but unfortunately this is not the case. I used to receive SMS from them and the institution assures me the message is sent to my Canadian phone number but rejected by the receiving network.

Hi @crochcunill 

can you find the shortcode here:

https://www.txt.ca/en/current-short-code-programs/

from what I understand:

Short codes that are not on this list will simply mean that they are not approved in Canada

@hTideGnow   I believe the issue seems to be that OP used to be able to receive texts from this shortcode before but not anymore. 

@crochcunill    Not sure if you already did this, but maybe remove the shortcode from your contacts and reboot the phone and then add it back and reboot the phone.

thanks @dabr 

Hi @crochcunill from what I understand,  many foreign systems won't sent sms abroad.  They thought they can and they always blame the receiving end.  Truth is it is like us calling Long Distance,  if it is not setup, it won't work

@hTideGnow    OP has mentioned that it's a financial institution abroad, but not sure about location.

Hi @crochcunill what is the source company of this sms?

@crochcunill   Are you able to put your SIM in another compatible phone and see if you can receive the shortcode from this number? 

Otherwise, did you actually contact customer support at PM using the link I provided last week? 

Here's couple of links to customer support, try submitting a ticket via chatbot first and if unable to submit a ticket, then send a private message to CS_Agent.

chatbot:  https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/publicmobile/publicmobile.html

CS_Agent:  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

crochcunill

Unfortunately customer assistance insist it is a problem on the target network side (public mobile in this case). They claim their logs indicated the sms was rejected by the network.

On the other hand, I have no idea how to ask to Public Mobile for support in this topic, so I do not know in which side the problem falls. I am receiving similar sms with codes from outside Canada with no trouble, so I tend to think the problem is in the sender side, but I have been unable to discard the receiver as the problem link

@crochcunill   It you used to be able to receive this shortcode sms before then I don't know what could have changed for it to stop.  Something must have changed for that to happen.  Have you asked for assistance from customer support yet?  

Here's a link to the chatbot if you want to submit a ticket:  https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help

@crochcunill which provider is that?  is that Canadian?

Oh so it is from a shortcode. For them to text you would need the format I gave you earlier. Do you set up the number at their side? Like are you able to change it? Their exit code is 00 (could be +) then our country code is 1 and then your area code and then your 7 digits.

crochcunill

Six digits number.

crochcunill

I have been a PM customer for several years, so no, I didn't port the number recently.

I am asking the provider to send me the coded by other methods. Unfortunately they seem stuck in the 90's.

(FYI: the provider is a bank, and I have decided that I will close my account with them in my next in person visit, just in case you wonder how annoyed I am!)

crochcunill

Thanks. I have checked, and the six digits source number is not in the list.

crochcunill

Actually I used to receive their SMS. Not anymore... The phone number is correct, unless their system has not been changed and are adding extra prefixes. From their point of view the message is sent successfully, but rejected by the target.

@dabr- To me it's about the content in the body and whether it came from a normal number or from a shortcode. But we'll see what the customer comes back with.

@dust2dust    I assumed it might perhaps be from a financial institution since OP mentions verification, but not sure if regular sms requires verification? edited

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Is this supposed to be from a shortcode? Or is it just a normal text from a normal number with a verification code in it?

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Did you port your number to PM recently? I remember others mentioning these verification SMS might not work right away after a port. But will start working after a while. Not sure on the specifics.

Can you ask this provider to send verification checks through some other method in the meantime? Ex. email or robo call, etc.

@crochcunill   It's possible that the shortcode you are trying to receive from is not supported by PM.  I'm not sure how up-to-date this link is as PM may have added shortcodes to it since, but you can take a look to see if your problem number is on this list or not.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/What-short-codes-are-supported-by-Publi...

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Can you ask that entity if they send other texts to international customers? Say...Australia maybe?

Is the number in their files +1 and your 10 digit phone number? Or even 001...?

crochcunill

The source of SMS message indicates the network may be the one blocking the message. As far as I have checked the phone is not blocking it.

I am using the standard SMS app in iPhone

crochcunill

Yes, it is coming from outside Canada, Spain to be precise. I am able to receive other SMS with security codes from Spain

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Network will not block any SMS coming to your phone. Where from SMS is coming?

Do you use apple proprietary SMS app or it is 'standard' SMS app?

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Is it from an entity outside Canada?

Need Help? Let's chat.