cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I bought a Nomad eSim card for Europe -- what do I need to do to prepare my Public Mobile phone?

Kubis
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I bought a Nomad eSim card for a trip to Europe in April'24.

What do I need to do do to prepare my Public Mobile phone to work AOK with the eSim card? Do I need to unlock it or anything else?

Thanks, Mark

4 REPLIES 4

Brianna182
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

All phones sold in Canada are unlocked and have been for many years, unless your phone is very old it shouldn't be an issue unless you bought it from a different country. Either way you should test it with someone else's sim just to be sure. 

Your public mobile sim card won't have anything to do with your travel card. If you have a physical sim I would recommend disabling it to save battery life since it won't work in Europe, if you have a PM esim you'll have to disable it, I think most phones only allow one esim to be active at a time (I could be wrong but that's how my phone is). Just make sure you don't delete the PM esim, just turn it off then turn it back on when you're home.

fixin
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Kubis - If you have an iPhone and want to receive calls that are made to the PM #, use a VoIP provider like TextNow & get a free # to make calls with. Then turn to Settings > Phone > Call Forwarding then type in the phone number that the app says and it'll work! Make sure that when you are back in Canada to disable the feature to stop the redirect of the incoming calls.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Kubis 

where you got the phone from?  if it is a CPO phone you got from PM, generally it is unlocked

if you have a PM physical sim card, easiest check is to try a sim card from a non-Telus family provider (like Rogers, Bell, Virgin, Freedom).  Remove the PM sim card and replace with that other sim card, power up.  If no error about PUK code, you are good, the phone is unlocked

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Kubis , if you purchased the phone from Public Mobile when they were selling preowned phones, you will find that it comes unlocked.  There is no impediments to using it on any other service.  The provider should have instructions on how to use their service.  

Need Help? Let's chat.