cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am a new member and need help

carlynn
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have 2 phones that I want to sign up with you.  I just received my sim card today for the iphone and going to sign up for it now.    Also I had a pay as you go plan with Rogers, now I have not added any money and the time is gone. I want to know if I can now use this number I had with Rogers when I activate a plan with you, do I port it over as a working number or just as a new number that I want.  I have not yet got the phone so I can not check the IMEI number to be sure it works with your service.

I sent a message on Sunday in a private message but have not yet got a reply.  Maybe someone on here that knows stuff may know and answer me.  I signed up in the community but have not yet signed up for my account for the service. 

17 REPLIES 17

Pizzaeh
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@carlynn wrote:

Thanks for the help.  I will send them the number in a private message and see what happens but they ask for both in there message to me.  I find I am getting confused between the forum messages and the private messages.  I am sure it will be better as I use the fourm and find my way around.

Okay, I understand now.  When they ask you for a security PIN, they're asking for your security PIN to verify that you are who you say you are.  This is for your own privacy; they don't want someone that is not you to access your account.  

Once they verify that it is you they're talking to via private messages, then you can give them the Public Mobile phone number of the person that is referring you.  Good luck.

carlynn

I was surprised that the activation went off without a problem and all seems to be working good seeing I was pretty mixed up what I was doing.

carlynn

Thanks for the help.  I will send them the number in a private message and see what happens but they ask for both in there message to me.  I find I am getting confused between the forum messages and the private messages.  I am sure it will be better as I use the fourm and find my way around.

Pizzaeh

@carlynn wrote:

You sent me your phone # for a referal but I did not do it when I was registering.  I have messaged the admin and they will try and still do it for me.  I am still mixed up on this forum as I had trouble finding my old post from the other day that you wrote me in with your number.

They need your # and your pin for them to do the referal for me.  If you still want I can do that if you send me the info I need.  Seems like all the messages are not here in the community.

Sorry I am just still a bit confused getting around the fourm.

Is there a way I can send just a message to you?

Hi @carlynn, no problem.  Not sure if you're replying to me, but the explanation is the same, so I'll try answering. 

For the referral all they need is the referrer's Public Mobile phone number. Please don't post any phone numbers (either yours or theirs) in this open forum, for privacy issues.  

To send any community member a private message, click the envelope icon at the top right of your screen.  In the Send To field type their forum name.  If you have a red number beside that envelope, it means you have un-read messages that community members have sent you.

If you have any further questions, feel free to send any member a private message (if privacy information is involved, like phone numbers) or post a general question in this thread.

If you haven't already activated your second account, you can use your first Public Mobile number (the iphone you activated) to refer the second account.  

Cheers!

carlynn

You sent me your phone # for a referal but I did not do it when I was registering.  I have messaged the admin and they will try and still do it for me.  I am still mixed up on this forum as I had trouble finding my old post from the other day that you wrote me in with your number.

They need your # and your pin for them to do the referal for me.  If you still want I can do that if you send me the info I need.  Seems like all the messages are not here in the community.

Sorry I am just still a bit confused getting around the fourm.

Is there a way I can send just a message to you?

Pizzaeh

@carlynn wrote:

Last night I got my iphone activated and this morning it showed I have service so I guess I did it right.  

I do have a couple more questions though:  When I was going through setting up the account I picked a pin #, this morning I have a text showing that pin #, but then a few seconds later I received another text with another different pin I did not choose.  Not sure why that happened and which pin I use.

Also 2 people sent me numbers for a referal but I am not sure what to do with them.  I thought it had to be people who you refered that sign up for the service.  How do you get a referal if they are already a Public Mobile user and use there number.  

I have not yet tried calling anybody but seeing the texting works seeing I got 2 from Public Mobile.   Thank you all that helped me yesterday, looks like this is a really good community here.  Now I will have to wait for my other phone I ordered for another family member comes I will see if that one will work.  I went to the will my phone work and it was not listed there so will have to wait and see once it gets here.

Hi @carlynn, the referral was to be used during the online activation; at the bottom of the screenshot below there is a section 'Were you referred to Public Mobile by a friend?' where the number was to be entered.  It might be too late, but you could send a private message to the moderators and plead your case.  See Link for details on the promotion.

Screenshot 2019-03-27 at 11.25.10 AM.png

carlynn

Last night I got my iphone activated and this morning it showed I have service so I guess I did it right.  

I do have a couple more questions though:  When I was going through setting up the account I picked a pin #, this morning I have a text showing that pin #, but then a few seconds later I received another text with another different pin I did not choose.  Not sure why that happened and which pin I use.

Also 2 people sent me numbers for a referal but I am not sure what to do with them.  I thought it had to be people who you refered that sign up for the service.  How do you get a referal if they are already a Public Mobile user and use there number.  

I have not yet tried calling anybody but seeing the texting works seeing I got 2 from Public Mobile.   Thank you all that helped me yesterday, looks like this is a really good community here.  Now I will have to wait for my other phone I ordered for another family member comes I will see if that one will work.  I went to the will my phone work and it was not listed there so will have to wait and see once it gets here.

baby08

you need to have a active phone line in order to port phone from one company to other one.

@carlynn Keep asking for help whatever your concerns; that's the purpose of this Community.

For additional information you could look through the articles in the Knowledge Base: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/tkb-p/knowledge_base

You might find this usefull too: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/BE-PREPARED/m-p/112014#M20827

Welcome to our community. Robot Very Happy

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

GR
Mayor / Maire

Do you need a refferal number to collect the 25$  ? 

Pizzaeh

@carlynn wrote:

Thank you all for your help.  I am going to port over the number from virgin for my I phone once I have put the sim card in I just received today.  Once I cancel the service from virgin can I use that sim for another phone as long as it works with the carrier I choose?

I checked that will my phone work.net and the new phone I ordered is not listed there so it may not work and I may have to go with a pay as you go for that phone.  It is a LG B470

I am kind of new to this so sorry for so many questions but really appreciate the help.

To be able to port over the Virgin Mobile number, it must not be cancelled.  Porting it over to Public Mobile will cause that number to be automatically cancelled with Virgin Mobile.  Once that occurs, the Virgin Mobile SIM card cannot be re-used.  

No problem; ask lots of questions.  That's what we're here for, to help fellow Public Mobile customers.

carlynn

Thank you all for your help.  I am going to port over the number from virgin for my I phone once I have put the sim card in I just received today.  Once I cancel the service from virgin can I use that sim for another phone as long as it works with the carrier I choose?

I checked that will my phone work.net and the new phone I ordered is not listed there so it may not work and I may have to go with a pay as you go for that phone.  It is a LG B470

I am kind of new to this so sorry for so many questions but really appreciate the help.

Pizzaeh

@carlynn wrote:

Thank you for the help.  How do I know what kind of number to choose?  I am in area code 250.  I would of liked to keep the rogers number I had as it was easy to remember.  I have no idea how to choose a number.

Welcome to Public Mobile @carlynn.  During the process of activating a Public Mobile line, the system will offer a list of numbers to choose from.  You can still choose to port in your Rogers number during that process, or later on. 

Since you're activating online, there is a promotion running when you activate an account with a referral.  See the link below for details.  

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Share-the-love-get-a-25-Credit-for-You-...

@carlynn wrote:

Thank you for the help.  How do I know what kind of number to choose?  I am in area code 250.  I would of liked to keep the rogers number I had as it was easy to remember.  I have no idea how to choose a number.

You will have the choice when you will activate your sim card.Smiley Happy and write it on a paper or on your fridge.

carlynn

krazykiwi
Mayor / Maire

@carlynn wrote:

I have 2 phones that I want to sign up with you.  I just received my sim card today for the iphone and going to sign up for it now.    Also I had a pay as you go plan with Rogers, now I have not added any money and the time is gone. I want to know if I can now use this number I had with Rogers when I activate a plan with you, do I port it over as a working number or just as a new number that I want.  I have not yet got the phone so I can not check the IMEI number to be sure it works with your service.

I sent a message on Sunday in a private message but have not yet got a reply.  Maybe someone on here that knows stuff may know and answer me.  I signed up in the community but have not yet signed up for my account for the service. 

Hi and welcome.

If your are saying that your Rogers Pay as you go account is already closed than that number as gone back to Rogers or whoever you originally got it from and when you activate a sim with PM you will not be able to get it.

If the account is still open just you have not paid it than you will need to have it active and in good standing to port the number out.

So far as a phone working with PM use this site to check it. https://willmyphonework.net/

Use this site if you are thinking about buying a used phone. https://www.devicecheck.ca/ (If you are doing this let us know, there are many things to be careful of)

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@carlynn wrote:

@carlynn  The rogers number has to be active and in good standing to port in, if the rogers account is deactivated / suspended you will have to choose a new public mobile number.

Who did you send a message to? The moderator team has been responding within a few hours lately, you may have sent it to the wrong person? Click this to send them a message.  @ Moderator_team would be who you contact for official support.

I also suggest not to use the IMEI checker, and to go to willmyphonework.net and confirm your exact model number with the frequencies of the telus mobile network otherwise you may be dissapointed.

Need Help? Let's chat.