cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many times and how often can I change phone number?

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

Is there a maximum amount of times I can change my phone number?

Is there a time period between changing phone number we have to wait?

Once per 90 days? etc

12 REPLIES 12

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I like your idea.  Keep pursuing it and let me know if you get something cool.  Smiley Happy

jedivision
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

In these days call display is much more important than your cellphone number. You most likely don't call people who aren't in your contacts very often.

I suggest making your own contact and sending it to someone via text message for them to enter you into their phone. This way, when you call your name and selected picture show up rather than the number you call with.

I barely know anyone's number anymore. My phone does all of that for m.

@RobertQc, if you just want to search then there's nothing stopping you from window shopping. I am sure the vanity numbers for the old area codes have all been spoken for.  Go after the 437 area code or newer releases, find out which carrier has which blocks allocated to them, sign up with the right carrier and take the number over here.

I got an interesting story to share. I got a new account with Public Mobile recently where the 7 digits of the number was identical to the number of my son's phone number.  His number is 416 area code and the number I got was 289.  The number is very good too.  I had to let it go because it's so much needless work to update my phone number which is given out everywhere. These days contacts don't remember numbers, they simply use the save to contact list feature.  Unless you are trying to sell pizza and you need a catchy number, what's the point?

I figured I would be window shopping and see a number I thought was good, take that one as the system only gives you 4 at a time, then continue to shop. I might regret not taking a number and never finding it again- or another as good. But that is a good idea to try the new area codes.

That is so cool! Same number different area codes... But you are right I don't sell pizza I just got the idea in my head and thought I would try it but maybe its silly.

savvy
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@RobertQc wrote:

Not looking to port. Just looking to change my number. Was thinking I could change it 15-20 times in 1 day just to try for the best number.

Why not just try searching for a clever ending rather than changing it over and over? When I just did my set up before I go to port, it gave me the option to pick the last 4 numbers. Just roll through different combinatinations. In a small town this may be hard to find one that's available, but in a larger city it should be no problem.

@RobertQc wrote:

@savvy wrote:

... it's once every 30 days.

However from a technical perspective even if it was allowed, I wouldn't do it more than once every 7 days for cellular or once every 3+ weeks for landline either way, due to complications that may occur if you do this more often.

I want to get a cool number, like 905-222-2222 or 289-289-2892 select the coolest one, then keep trying for a new even cooler one but if its only once per 30 days I have to be careful about which one I select.

@savvy wrote:

Btw, why do you have so many numbers to port?

Not looking to port. Just looking to change my number. Was thinking I could change it 15-20 times in 1 day just to try for the best number.

Your link gave me the solution

@imm1304 wrote:

Hi @delsrobo,

You are allowed to port or change number once every 30 days.  

@RobertQc, if you just want to search then there's nothing stopping you from window shopping. I am sure the vanity numbers for the old area codes have all been spoken for.  Go after the 437 area code or newer releases, find out which carrier has which blocks allocated to them, sign up with the right carrier and take the number over here.

I got an interesting story to share. I got a new account with Public Mobile recently where the 7 digits of the number was identical to the number of my son's phone number.  His number is 416 area code and the number I got was 289.  The number is very good too.  I had to let it go because it's so much needless work to update my phone number which is given out everywhere. These days contacts don't remember numbers, they simply use the save to contact list feature.  Unless you are trying to sell pizza and you need a catchy number, what's the point?

@savvy wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@RobertQc, if you are using the select new number option, it's once every 30 days.  There's no override, don't waste time even thinking of asking the moderators. If you are changing a number by porting, there's no theoretical limit.  

Curious... what about extenuating circumstances? If someone is harassing you is there not a work-around perhaps? Smiley Wink

There's no override.  If you really need a number change, use the port function.

savvy

@will13am wrote:

@RobertQc, if you are using the select new number option, it's once every 30 days.  There's no override, don't waste time even thinking of asking the moderators. If you are changing a number by porting, there's no theoretical limit.  

Curious... what about extenuating circumstances? If someone is harassing you is there not a work-around perhaps? Smiley Wink

@savvy wrote:

However from a technical perspective even if it was allowed, I wouldn't do it more than once every 7 days for cellular or once every 3+ weeks for landline either way, due to complications that may occur if you do this more often.

I want to get a cool number, like 905-222-2222 or 289-289-2892 select the coolest one, then keep trying for a new even cooler one but if its only once per 30 days I have to be careful about which one I select.

@savvy wrote:

Btw, why do you have so many numbers to port?

Your link gave me the solution

@imm1304 wrote:

Hi @delsrobo,

You are allowed to port or change number once every 30 days.  

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

savvy

According to this post:

@RobertQc

How many times can we port

I assume there is no actual limits on this, but I've never really seen anyone do this more than 2-3 times before so I'm not sure... Btw, why do you have so many numbers to port? Smiley WinkSmiley Very Happy

UPDATE 2024-01-13 by Softech:

Please note that policy changed. Subscribers can now make change 4 times every cycle

savvy

According to this post:

@RobertQc

How many times can we port

I assume there is no actual limits on this, but I've never really seen anyone do this more than 2-3 times before so I'm not sure... Btw, why do you have so many numbers to port? Smiley WinkSmiley Very Happy

Need Help? Let's chat.