cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many times can we port?

delsrobo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello, 

I guess this is a multi-tier question. Just wondering how many times we can port a number into our existing account? I want to switch the telephone number I have on my account but I still want to keep that number as well. What's the best way of doing that?  

For instance currently using A but want to put in B but still keep A.  If I port B over will A become unlisted and lost?  If I port out A first, do I lose the account?  

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Thanks @kav2001c, voip.ms will be my preferred choice if/when I need this option.  

@delsrobo in a normal situation yes, because this is a SIP call (or WiFi call) you can show the call display for either number

Oh and remember, the 12GB of data is Canada wide so you can use out of province and call out of province with no issues as well Cat Wink

delsrobo

@kav2001c I thought fowarding only allows me to recieve X's calls? If I call out, wont the number still show up as B?

@imcphers wrote:

Why would you want to keep a number an not use it?

I have done this before

You have a great primary phone number (X)

You see a promo deal on cell company A so sign up with a temporary number (A)

A month later you see another deal on cell company B so sign up with a temporary number (B)

While you swap SIM cards A & B in your phone, you have your X number call forwarded to whichever SIM you are using (say for testing, esp if it is with a newer carrier, a regional carrier, or a foreign carrier). Heck even Bell/Telus and Rogers have weak spots and some areas one works better than other.

Plus this gives you the flexibility to at a future date sell a plan (if A or B no longer suit your needs)

How many times have you seen someone who say moves to another province but doesn't want to cancel his great plan so everyone else can't call him

This works even better while roaming since you can call forward your number to any other number in the world 

And beauty is if I call someone back, it ALWAYS shows X in call display, even if I am halfway around the world

Plus its a business expense so I just write it off & I can claim back HST credits

Win-win

@imm1304 voip.ms

They NEVER cancel your number (even if you didn't pay your bills haha) and only costs $0.85 per month

Plus they will issue you tax receipts and can even call forward your number while parked

delsrobo
I like my pm plan and don't want to give it up but I have an offer for data only plus prepaid that is a really great deal. Just not sure how well it will work so I want to test it out first. Guess I could just use a new number there and port later. I want to keep this as a back up regardless since I don't know how well that other method will work out in the long run (or if I go back to a phone with only one sim)

imm1304

I recently came across this phone number parking service:  https://www.numberbarn.com/number-parking

They advertise $2 a month service to park your number.. no commitments.  There may be other competitors as well, do your research.  I have not used this service but it may be helpful to you.  

imcphers
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If you port B onto the same SIM you will loose A.

You need to get another SIM, Port B to that SIM, then Port A to a service where you can hold the number and keep it for later.

Why would you want to keep a number an not use it?

If you have the 4Gig deal, I'm not sure how you'll be able to juggle all of this - might need to get help from a moderator - but that could take a while.

imm1304

Hi @delsrobo,

You are allowed to port or change number once every 30 days.  

If you want to keep your current PM number, then don't touch the PM line for porting in another number.  If you port-in a number to currecnt PM account, the current number will be lost/de-listed.  

Instead, the other number you like, just port that number to a voip service such as fongo. Fongo is free to sign up and allows free calls across most of US and Canada.  BUT, they charge $25 number porting fee if you don't select a new random number they offer for free.  

If you use voip service for the second number, you will end up with both your phone numbers on the same phone.. one with mobile service and one via the fongo app.  

Need Help? Let's chat.