cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get sent a new SIM card? My SIM card is very slow.

BAPMTL
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My SIM card or something with the plan is not working. When the same SIM card is placed in my brother's phone, and vice versa, the service is very slow with my SIM card. SAME exact location. If I put my brother's SIM card into my phone, the speed and internet access goes back to "normal". We are both Public Mobile clients. So this is not a provider issue. Both phones are Samsung. 

13 REPLIES 13

@Tsawwassen   All Sim are made equal, at least technology wise

There is only one technology in the physical sim card you have. 

The storage size could be different , 8 kb to 256 kb.  But the size is used for network provider to store mobile network codes (MNCs) and not for us.  For us , regardless of the size , we can only store a maximum of 250 contacts (but not many people use the sim card to store contacts now)

For connectivity, In terms of 2G/3G/4G/5G  "the sim card itself and its age should not make a difference as the capability to connect to those networks is dependent on the phone, not the sim. You can think of a sim card as a gateway that connects your phone to the billing system and authenticates it."

@Tsawwassen wrote:

New SIM cards are equipped to support new-age cellular technology, thereby offering faster internet connectivity than older SIM cards. 

HI @Tsawwassen 

Sorry this is not true. 

All sim cards are the same. Wear and tear could cause malfunction of the sim card, but sim card usually just work or not, there is no performance difference as it aged

Tsawwassen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

New SIM cards are equipped to support new-age cellular technology, thereby offering faster internet connectivity than older SIM cards. 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi @BAPMTL   Yes, the sim card itself would not cause slowness or help to speed up

it is likely an account problem. 

I would open a ticket with PM Support and see if they find anything unusual , or maybe ask them to re-provision the account/sim card

at : https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot. Follow this to get to ticket open screen quicker:

start by typing : Contact CS Agent
then Click "Contact Us"
then Click "Other"
finally Click "Click here to submit a ticket"
you will then direct to another page to open ticket.

After ticket is submitted, make sure to check your Community Inbox(top right corner envelope icon) periodically for response from PM's CS Agent

If you have problems submitting a ticket, you can also send a private message to the CS Agent (but this can take longer):
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

@BAPMTL 

Generally, a SIM card works or it doesn't.  Although you're both on same plan, I suspect that the other account may be receiving faster speeds than the plan being paid for.  Sometimes, Public Mobile mistakenly gives faster speeds to some customers on 3g plans.  Another member recently started a thread about that.

JL9
Mayor / Maire

If you do end up getting a new sim I would suggest going in store to a Koodo or Telus store or else you could be waiting forever to get it. See if they can out the cost of the sim card into your current balance as a credit to cover it. 

BAPMTL

Thank you, this was done. 

BAPMTL

Thank you. I don't feel like I should have to pay for something that does not work and has never worked.

we are on the same plan and no, it did not help after making the switch.

I have, submitted a ticket and hope to hear back soon. 

Thank you very much everyone. If I don't hear back, I'll continue the follow-up. 

Hi @BAPMTL 

ok nice. then tried given as your model device and if you how to tried reset network or update device IOS.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@BAPMTL - 

You can obtain a new sim card from Telus or Koodo stores, likely. Call them ahead of time to see availability. You can purchase online from places; one being from public mobile direct here:https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/sim-card

But, before obtaining a new sim card, are you and your brother on the same plan?

When you put your sim card back in your phone did you have better services?

Since you did the sim swapping with other phones, I would check with the customer support team to see if they can do something on the back end with your account (before a new sim card is obtained).

Public Mobile Representatives customer support agents (CSA) can be contacted by either two methods, found here:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/contact-an-agent

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@BAPMTL 

Check your settings on both of your phones and see if both are the same. Go to Settings>Network mode>GMS/HSPA(auto connect).

BAPMTL

Hi Timer, He is also using Public Mobile

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@BAPMTL 

not SIM card issue, what your brother service provider.

what your plan with PM.

Need Help? Let's chat.