cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I filter threatening calls?

hanna_t
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am getting threatening recorded calls from “Canadian Border services” and apparently they have put a warrant out for my arrest. So, I know this is garbage but they are using local and regional numbers from communities where I do know people so I have occasionally answered. On my previous Telus account I could turn on a filter that required an unknown caller to press a number to get through. CRTC requirement for same service on all providers was to be in place in July of this year. How do I turn it or some version of it on?   Thank you. 

30 REPLIES 30

@hanna_t wrote:

I’m sure it’s amusing but I don’t have time for this.  

The "call blocking" feature that you are thinking of is called "Call Control" and is a feature only offered to Telus landline, Telus Mobility post-paid, and Koodo mobile post-paid customers. Telus Mobility Prepaid, Koodo Prepaid, and Public Mobile (which is prepaid only) do not have the option of this feature.

In lieu of this feature, you can prevent obvious junk calls from reaching your voicemail when declined by setting the "busy" / declined / blocked conditional call forward to one of the aforementioned numbers, or you can use a service like Youmail that has a companion app that will assist in classifying incoming calls depending on a lookup against an internet reputation database before you answer.... And if you don't answer, their system will email you the voicemail or results of it being a spammer afterwards. https://youmail.com/

I personally find youmail much more convenient than having to dial into my voicemail after a junk call to delete a useless message....

hanna_t

I’m sure it’s amusing but I don’t have time for this.  

@darlicious wrote:

@hanna_t 

Make use of Lenny.....effective and good for laugh! You can thank @Nezgar for him.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Lenny-the-Telemarketers-worst-nigh...

I wish I could upload sound files to this forum, recordings of some of the calls to Lenny via my number to date... I'll have to setup a web page to put them on and link to...   I have a few recordings where it's kept those Chinese announcement calls busy for a few minutes at least...

Another forwarding destination option is a Canadian Rick Astley hotline: +1 (226) 336-1437 😂

@hanna_tYou can selectively re-program your conditional call forwards so that calls that are blocked or explicity "declined" by you when you see the call, are forwarded to one of these services instead of your voicemail. Unanswered calls, and calls while your phone is off out of coverage will continue to go to your voicemail as usual.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@hanna_t 

Make use of Lenny.....effective and good for laugh! You can thank @Nezgar for him.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Lenny-the-Telemarketers-worst-nigh...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hanna_t : All providers have to block fake caller id's. That's likely the law you're thinking of. But real numbers can still be used. Some providers (Telus/Koodo) offer a call filtering feature (Telus/Koodo call it Call Control) as an option. PM does not. It's an optional feature not required by law. Maybe "best practices" but not required.

I frequently get the tinny music and then a womans voice speaking Chinese. I hang up.

When it's a recording then hang up. If someone actually talks to you then hang up and then wait a while (delayed hang up scam) and then call the place that said they called you.

@hanna_t 

new measures will gradually be implemented by telecom service providers.

there is no timeline... unfortunately this is how they will be able to bypass this. I remember another customer complaining about the same thing a few months ago. they were able to speak to customer support. but, they were given a dead end answer

hanna_t

I don’t think this is a law but is regulation for business license.   CRTC is a regulatory body. 

This is from the CRTC website:

To better protect Canadians against nuisance calls, new measures will gradually be implemented by telecom service providers. For instance, by December 19, 2019 providers must have either implemented a system to block calls within their networks or offer call-filtering services. Canadians should receive fewer unwanted calls thanks to these new safeguards

This is from a year or so ago.  I called CRTC and at the time was told everyone had to comply by the July 2021 deadline. 

I would really like someone from PM to clarify why they do or do not have to provide a call filter. 

@hanna_t 

https://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/article/call-control-for-mobile-devices-explained

this isn't even an ideal solution... and a waste of time adding all the numbers and telling people you don't want to be blocked. 

can you provide me the link to this law you speak of?

hanna_t

Cheap or not they need to comply with federal communications regulations. 

@hanna_t 

ummm, because cheaper isn't better??? pretty clear to me... buy yourself a pixel and you can have a robo answerer vs a robo caller.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2020/2/6/21122390/google-assistant-screen...

hanna_t

I agree about the definition of “conventional.” However, Telus provides a filter for their other services (mobile and landline) that filters all calls.  I have a friend with it on her landline. Every time I call I must push a randomly provided single digit number to get through.  I have a conventional 7digit number.  Previously, when I had a Telus contract for for my cell phone I was able to turn on a filter that stopped these calls.  My question is, why doesn’t PM have to provide the same option?

hanna_t

So the app can push the number that stops the call? If I call a landline that has a filter on it, a recording comes on and tells me the number is protected and I must push a number to get through. The number changes each time I call.  You are saying the app can do this?

Carriers ARE  responsible for only letting conventional numbers from out of country into Canada. There is a correct word or phrase to better describe “conventional”. 

@AE_Collector would know. 

it is a Cat and Mouse game.. New rules are setup but scammers always found loopholes or workaround.  Also, many calls are initiated outside of Canada and there is really so little carriers can do. 

@softech wrote:

@hanna_t wrote:

I am not asking the CRTC to do anything. I am asking PM to comply. 

If they use call spoofing, then yes, PM, and all Canadian carrier,  will/should comply as of  Nov 2021:

https://mobilesyrup.com/2021/04/08/crtc-service-providers-stir-shaken-implementation/

but if the number is calling from some "valid" number, not spoofing, then there is nothing PM could do. PM and other carriers cannot filter calls just because of the "content" of the calls.  Also, many numbers could have called from outside of Canada, it's even harder for PM to do anything.

In reading articles a long time ago, I believe the numbers with a letter and more than 10 digits long were the ones to not allow. I can spoof any 10 digit number that you want. Done using voip and a softphone  APP. And it will work. 

@hanna_t wrote:

It’s not PMs problem to solve. It’s yours. And you have had solutions given to you that will work. 

@hanna_t wrote:

If they use call spoofing, then yes, PM, and all Canadian carrier,  will/should comply as of  Nov 2021:

https://mobilesyrup.com/2021/04/08/crtc-service-providers-stir-shaken-implementation/

but if the number is calling from some "valid" number, not spoofing, then there is nothing PM could do. PM and other carriers cannot filter calls just because of the "content" of the calls.  Also, many numbers could have called from outside of Canada, it's even harder for PM to do anything.

hanna_t

@hanna_t wrote:

Not every person or company who calls me is in my contacts list. Not possible. 

rule of thumb.. do not answer any calls not on your contact list

if it is an important call, they will leave you a voicemail.  

If it is a really  important call to you, you will try to find out the number ahead

if neither.. this is certainly a call not important enough and you wouldn't loss much to ignore it

@hanna_t wrote:

You are the type of cell user that the bad-guys target. You should update your contacts list whenever possible.

Unless you recognize the calling number...don't answer it. If it's legit...they'll leave a voice message and you can call them back.

Once you answer the bad calls, they know your number is active and the calls will continue.

Forget the feds protecting you...isn't going to happen.

@hanna_t wrote:

I’ve called the police. They can do nothing. 

but CRTC cannot do anything , too.. like if  a bank robber used the phone to call you. .you can't ask CRTC to do anything.. 

try report to  Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre 

hanna_t

I’ve called the police. They can do nothing. 

hanna_t

They are recorded spam calls with local numbers.  CRTC has regulations for providers on this because they are such a problem. No computer can press  a number when asked. That’s the filter. Why have a phone at all if I can only answer calls from people in my contact list?

@hanna_t wrote:

I am asking for the solution that complies with CRTC regulations. 

Scam calls are not under CRTC .. 

in fact.. scam calls is crime, you can call the police

or you can report to  Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre : 

Report fraud and cybercrime (antifraudcentre-centreantifraude.ca)

hanna_t

hanna_t

I am asking for the solution that complies with CRTC regulations. 

hanna_t

I am not interested in talking to them. Public Mobile should have a filter option to turn on to comply with CRTC regulations. I am asking where it is in the settings. 

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Lol. Call block the number. 

They told old me that they had confiscated some drugs addressed to me. I dialled 1 and said that I very desperately needed them. The CRA hung up on me. How rude. 

Make sure your contacts list is totally  up to date with friends, enemies, business contacts, lovers and exes.  No name on your caller ID....be suspicious and let call go to voicemail and block later. 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

haha.. they are not threatening calls.. those are just scam calls, I think

Just ignore those calls.  When you see number you are not expecting.. don't answer

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@hanna_t 

press 1 and talk to their rep. then do this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SvHCqqarbAI

keep wasting their time. they will leave you alone after that.

I had 10 calls in one day. every 30 minutes I would receive a call. kept sending them to  "call screening"(Googles robo answer to spam calls) and they stopped. you have to remember this is a business for them. ignoring the calls could actually be worse. because they will keep trying until they know they can't do anything. 

Need Help? Let's chat.