cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can you tell if your account is compromised?

J1chow
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I received a phone call from a women saying that she received a phone call from my number  and that people are hacking voicemail passwords.  I changed my password but is there any way to check?

3 REPLIES 3

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

Outgoing caller ID can be spoofed. Business phone and VoIP systems allow this. Unfortunately, some spammer/scammer abuse this "feature" of the phone network and randomly chose to make some calls presenting your number...

Along the same lines, for this same reason, you should not use the default option in your voicemail to not require entering a password when calling "from your own phone" because the voicemail server  merely checks if the caller ID matches that of the mailbox... If someone spoofs your caller ID and calls into the Telus voicemail server, they can bypass the authentication as well.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@J1chow 

Scam callers spoof numbers all the time. After a fee days they move on to whole new set of numbers. There isnt a whole lot you can do about it.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Sounds like another case of "spoofing" your number. Bad guys can make it appear like the call is comng from you but in reality its not your number. There's been no reports of voicemail passwords being hacked, that I know of.

Spoofing is annoying...but so far is innocuous.

Need Help? Let's chat.