cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me not make a mistake with switching plans...

StevenMorehouse
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I don't switch very often.  Full disclosure, I'm with Koodo and have been for a loooong time.  I'm switching to PM, but that's not my question.

My wife is with PM and is happy with her plan and doesn't want me messing with things.  She currently is on a 3G plan with 500Mb data and it costs $30/mo minus $5/mo "loyalty" and $2/mo "subscription".

As you can tell, she doesn't use much data.  But can I actually lower her bill?   I see 3G $25/mo with $1GB data.  I think I read that the $7/mo she currently receives as a discount would carry over, so wouldn't that lower her bill by $5 and at the same time double her data?

Also, the new plan says "Earn $1.25/month in points value with our Public Points"... what's that?

Thank you.

10 REPLIES 10

Andy85
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@StevenMorehouse wrote:

@Chalupa_Batman wrote:

It's only 100 anytime calling minutes

She doesn't use data... but the girl can talk 🙂   I appreciate the sentiment, but the $15 plan is just too restrictive, imo.

@StevenMorehouse I know you asked us for our advice... but as the famous saying goes:

"Happy Wife, Happy Life"!

In the end, go with the plan that makes your wife happy otherwise you risk never hearing the end of it lol 🤣

I totally understand. $25 plan it is. LOL

StevenMorehouse

@Chalupa_Batman wrote:

It's only 100 anytime calling minutes

She doesn't use data... but the girl can talk 🙂   I appreciate the sentiment, but the $15 plan is just too restrictive, imo.

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Actually @StevenMorehouse In my opinion, IF she doesn't use more than 300mb then really, set her up on the $15 250mb plan. It's only 100 anytime calling minutes with unlimited incoming calls. Let her try that out. Then if she is OK with it, you just saved a ton of money. If not, you can always upgrade her to the $25 plan 1GB at the next renewal date. Changing her to the $15 if that suites her needs will save $180 or more a year... with her Legacy Rewards that's like $264 a year.

Andy85

@StevenMorehouse Yes, that statement would refer to any promotions unique to your current plan. Example, if you had bonus data. with your previous plan because of a limited time offer at the time... It wouldn't have to do with your $7 rewards you currently have. 

StevenMorehouse

Alright, so I'm on the page to switch, but it warns me: "After changing your plan, your current promotions will no longer be valid".

Despite that, you people are confident she'll still have the $5 loyalty and $2 subscription discounts?

I see nothing about changing to points.

Andy85

@StevenMorehouse If you need advice in determining which plan would be best for your wife, based on what your telling us, it sounds like she'd be a perfect candidate for the $25/1gb plan. If she is prompted to opt into the new point system, I would suggest she selects no. She is receiving a far discount on her current legacy rewards ($7). The new points system will not fetch her nearly as much as that. On the new points, she'd have to withdraw from her $7/month rewards and would only be entitled to receive $1.25 a month is points +  roughly 10 points a year for her loyalty. 

That being said, even if she keeps her old rewards, she can switch plan anytime she'd like. The rewards are associated to her account and not her plan. 

StevenMorehouse

1gb, 5gb, 40gb, 50,000Tb... doesn't matter.  She's never used more than like 300Mb :). Her plan says 500Mb but under add-ons it appears she gets a bonus 1Gb and there also seems to be a 5Gb block (or maybe that's monthly too?  I don't know).  Point is, data isn't an issue for her.  I mentioned the extra $4/mo for a ton of data, and she was like "meh.  That's $48 a year for nothing".

Fair enough.

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Now the question is this @StevenMorehouse  - Is it about saving money or....  yes, you can lower her plan down to the $15 100 any time minutes with unlimited incoming minutes with 250mb of data. 

Chalupa_Batman_0-1700967859717.pngChalupa_Batman_1-1700967873149.png

The next plan is $25 with unlimited calling Canada wide with 1GB of data. However, if it's not about saving money, there is a plan that is $4 more than you're paying now and the data would go from 500mb to 40GB. Just saying you have options. And don't worry about losing your Legacy Rewards. You only lose them if YOU choose to upgrade to the Public Points system. Don't do it.  Hope this helps.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@StevenMorehouse 

no worries, the marketing terms are mainly towards the new Public Points but your wife still on the Legacy rewards program

Changing plan  wont' affect your current rewards, this was also confirmed by Community Manager here:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/FAQ-amp-Troubleshooting/td-p/986594

Will I be moved to the new rewards program if I change my plan?
Changing your plan won’t automatically transfer you to our new Public Points rewards program. If you’re currently on our legacy rewards program, you will continue to stay on it. However, we encourage you to explore Public Points, as it opens up even more opportunities for savings.

Need Help? Let's chat.