cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone else experienced this issue before?

Anonymous
Not applicable

See attached image:

I am seeing a small drain on my data since the new months service plan activated today. The problem is, I have been on WIFI all day. It is an active, always-on, unlimited home connection. I was going to test the LTE earlier for an unrelated issue, but hadn't done so yet. So, as far as I know, it was never connected to LTE today. Apparently, that's not the case, small an amount as it is...

Using an iPhone 14 Pro Max. If anyone else is on an iPhone, what settings would you check to support the theory that certain apps may be utilizing data even when not in direct use?

Given it's only 30+mb it's likely I was just disconnected from WIFI somehow for a moment or two. Still, I feel like last month I rapidly went through my entire 50gb, which has never happened before. I'd just like to be certain whether there is not some bandwidth burglar involved. 🥷🛜😜

Screenshot 2023-09-04 at 4.27.34 PM.png

15 REPLIES 15

maple_leaf
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

No worries. I'd say it goes to @Phil_Adelphus . I edited the above to also include a link to Apple Support specific to "About Wi-Fi Assist".

@Phil_Adelphus YES it’s there Whoo hoo . Hahahah thanks @maple_leaf  and @Anonymous  great work community , man I love this place 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess I approved @Handy1 's initial comment as the solution before everyone else stepped up, apologies! Either way, all of you are always spot-on and work together, really appreciate it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Indeed, as @maple_leaf noted via Apple: The setting for wifi assist is all the way at the bottom of the Cellular menu.

Here's a screen of how much mine has used in this period:

IMG_5461.jpg

@Handy1 it should be right underneath the list of apps under the Cellular settings, just above iCloud Backup

maple_leaf

But, who actually provided the solution? 😉 Glad to have helped out. Cheers.

About Wi-Fi Assist:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/102228

@Anonymous  I have a iPhone 14 pro max and can’t find this setting either I think it’s is automatically turned on with wifi on . So they only way to ensure it’s not a issues is when on wifi you can turn cellular data off to be certain 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ooooh, it's all the way at the bottom, hah. @dust2dust @Phil_Adelphus

Thank you @maple_leaf — appreciate it, sometimes you just need the verbatim instructional! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, @Phil_Adelphus mentioned this wifi assist also, but I haven't found the setting yet, still looking... I think that may be what is happening.

maple_leaf

Hello @Anonymous , 

From https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7904534:

"Go to Settings/Cellular, scroll to the bottom, and turn off WiFi Assist.

Note that the phone will only use WiFi over cellular data when the screen is on or the phone is connected to power. If the phone goes to sleep it will turn WiFi off to save battery life, so any background apps will use cellular data when the phone is asleep.

Go to Settings/Cellular and you can see what apps and services are using your cellular data."

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Do you leave your cellular data turned on even though you're on wifi? Do you have the wifi assist or whatever it's called turned on?
I haven't gone looking for it for a while but the system will take a small quantity of data when data is on. But maybe that has changed with all the system changes around here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is the setting I was trying to track down, awesome, thank you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I assumed as much also, but I thought a second opinion wouldn't hurt. Two heads and all. 💪🙂🙃 🙂

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

In the iPhone settings you can set which apps can use data and which cannot, and you can also see how much data an app has used.  This is in Settings -> Cellular and scroll down.  Also check that you don't have WiFi Assist turned on because that allows the phone to switch to data if wifi is weak or disconnected.  My iPhone does this outdoors when I'm too far away from the router in the house.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Anonymous  That’s just probably background apps updating or news feeds . Best to double check your data usage like this 

simply try refreshing the page to check data plan / mins / add ons

Handy1_0-1693859925889.jpeg

For most up to date account info

Need Help? Let's chat.