cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP - PHONE NUMBER TRANSFERED AND ACCOUNT BLOCKED

ced1258
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

An hour ago, I received a text message saying that somebody requested a transfer of my phone number to another phone service. It linked the SIMbot for help if it wasn't me that requested the transfer. I immediatly changed my password, but couldn't find anywhere to cancel the transfer. I asked the SIMbot for help and linked me the support form. However, this link only gives me a 404 page.

I tried calling the Public Mobile support line (855-478-2542), but I couldn't get support because it was asking for my phone number that was just transfered, so it considered that I wasn't a client.

When I came to look back in my account, it was blocked and asked me to contact support. However, I cannot create the support form as it links me to a 404 page.

Can a moderator or someone help me please?

23 REPLIES 23

ced1258

@kb_mv I saw a friend on Facebook answer a copy/paste personality thing like that and I was like "Oh dear, why would you put so much sensitive informations to the public". Maybe she doesn't have anything to hide, but it could be used against her.

@ced1258 

The only app I use it with is my bank, because I'm litteraly forced to set up 2 way factor with them.

But only because you didn't insist on having something else. I hardly ever used email so I had forgotten that they had taken my email for an appt I set up for an investment. Last year I had my purse stolen and nearly my identity. That's how I found out it had been added to my accounts I had reported getting verification codes in my voicemail and they told me they had tried to contact me thru email. I no longer have email or a phone number associated to my accounts. Any changes to my accounts have to be done in person at a branch with two pieces of identification.

@ced1258 I'm surprised that your bank forces you into using your phone number for 2FA. Mine uses security questions. On a tangent..... ever notice on facebook etc where people answer these foolish posts about where you lived, first teacher, favourite movie etc? Sound familiar? Like security questions often asked in online accounts? This smacks of social data mining. Don't make it easier for the crooks.

ced1258

I find it too a very bad idea as phone numbers are pretty much antiquated in our modern world. The only app I use it with is my bank, because I'm litteraly forced to set up 2 way factor with them.

I'm impatient at the time where we will only use Internet to communicate as it's much more efficent and cheap, but granted not yet as reliable as phone coverage.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

As an aside to all following this thread, it is a horrible idea to link your phone number to any online accounts. Convenient perhaps but IMHO still a horrible idea. This thread illustrates why it is a problem. Far better to use email or an authenticator app. Plus of course, do not use the same or simple password for your different accounts. Password managers help here.

@Anonymous I messaged the mods a couple of weeks ago about this very issue with a suggested remedy. They were very receptive and said that they had forwarded the message higher. Here is what I wrote:

"2. Port protection. At least once, maybe twice I have seen discussions here about fraudulent ports. They are successful because the only protection against it is a text message sent essentially saying, "...if you did not authorize this please respond / contact us immediately" (or words to that effect). Doesn't work very well if my phone is not near me or it's off or I'm asleep etc etc etc. This is like the old "Negative Option Billing" one of the cable companies came up with years ago (and subsequently cancelled due to public uproar). They introduced new channels and put the onus on the customer to contact them to say they did not want them, otherwise they were charged for them. Maybe you should reverse the messaging and force the account / number holder to reply if they want to port the number. IE: "We have received a request to allow your number to be ported to a different provider. If you authorized this port request please reply to this message within 24 hours. If you did not authorize/request this port, do nothing and your service will stay with us and we will investigate the unauthorized request."

@ced1258 wow so happy for you. I would go into your account and change your name on your overview page. Although it sound like they may have gotten in my hacking your PM account? 

Great job moderators! 

@ced1258 

I'm happy to hear you have recovered your phone number and account with public mobile. It also sounds like you are very diligent in regards to your personal finances, security and private information. Additionally if you feel the need you can report this incident to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre toll free at 1 888 495 8501 or online through the fraud reporting system. You may also want to put a fraud alert with the two main credit reporting agencies Equifax and Transunion. This will require any credit issuing company (from phone contracts, loans, credit cards etc...) to contact you via the phone # or contact info you provide) before providing any credit to an application. This can stay associated to your identity fo up to 7 years and is a free service.

@ced1258 wrote:

They managed to block the transfer and give me back my account and phone number.

Thanks to the Moderators Team!

@ced1258  Awesome news!! Glad it all worked out.

Stay safe!

ced1258

They managed to block the transfer and give me back my account and phone number.

Thanks to the Moderators Team!

@ced1258 wrote:

Thanks a lot @geopublic 

I changed the two way factor for my bank account. Hope it will be enough, the passwords are also different for public mobile and my bank.

@ced1258  One more important note is to change your email password and secure your email. A lot of these sim jacks are the result of a hacker gaining access to a victims email as most people archive emails with confidential info.

ced1258

I use unique passwords for all my accounts and 2 way factor is only used for my bank account. I can't think of any other service that I use with 2 way factor.

Thanks for the warning.

Carniam
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@ced1258 please be aware that many other important services use 2 way factor. Email, PayPal, and amazon are a few others that jump into my head. Email can be dangerous as that gives them was to reset your passwords without you knowing

ced1258

@Anonymous I agree.

I merely had time to realize what was happening and to figure out if it was a real warning or a scam as it can from a unknown number and this sounds a lot like fishing.

Once I contacted the SIMbot, the link to talk to a moderator was just a 404 page and my account was blocked. I received a notification on my phone saying that my sim card didn't have any valid phone number.

ced1258

Thanks a lot @geopublic 

I changed the two way factor for my bank account. Hope it will be enough, the passwords are also different for public mobile and my bank.

Carniam
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@ced1258 keep a close eye on your accounts as this scam is used to gain access to bank accounts and other accounts that require 2 step authentication. There’s a good chance your passwords have been compromised, please update your password on all of your accounts.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Alan_K , @Tiana_V 

Once again...this must stop. There must be an interactive final confirmation. How it is now is the same as negative option billing...bad. Not having an immediate way to stop a transfer is the problem. Taking the time to figure out how to contact the moderators and the time delays inherent with that...bad. The account is gone and money can be stolen or expensive things purchased...bad.

Be the leader in protecting your customers (even from themselves). Think of it as a marketing edge to offer.

Completely agree with all of @geopublic says. Freeze your cards account etc. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@ced1258 wrote:

Hi,

An hour ago, I received a text message saying that somebody requested a transfer of my phone number to another phone service. It linked the SIMbot for help if it wasn't me that requested the transfer. I immediatly changed my password, but couldn't find anywhere to cancel the transfer. I asked the SIMbot for help and linked me the support form. However, this link only gives me a 404 page.

I tried calling the Public Mobile support line (855-478-2542), but I couldn't get support because it was asking for my phone number that was just transfered, so it considered that I wasn't a client.

When I came to look back in my account, it was blocked and asked me to contact support. However, I cannot create the support form as it links me to a 404 page.

Can a moderator or someone help me please?

@ced1258  Sounds like you have been SIM-JACKED (not good). You should call your banks, credit cards immediately especially if you use your phone for two way factor authentication.

To submit a ticket to the Public Mobile please start a conversation with the Public's virtual assistant, SIMON by clicking this link.

1. Enter Mod at the Ask me anything prompt and hit return
    2. Select Account-specific question
    3. Select No, I want a human
    4. Select the Click me! link

In your message type ** Urgent: I have been SIM-JACKED ** explain what happened ask them to stop the port and get your number back. The message will be received by Public Mobile and they will respond to it. You will receive a response in your private message inbox.

Please note that account verification may be required when contacting the Public Mobile Moderator Team.

If you are still having problems contacting Public Mobile then click here.

The link sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem and post.

Good Luck!!

@ced1258 wrote:

I've contacted the mod team. Hope they can help me with this weird thing.

Yes...please keep us updated on this very serious happening. Good luck.

ced1258

I've contacted the mod team. Hope they can help me with this weird thing.

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@ced1258 

Go int your account immediately click lost or stolen! 

@CS_Agent @Tiana_V @Alan_K 

Please help this customer immediately their number has been ported without their request!

Need Help? Let's chat.