cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grandfathered plans and losing rewards?

helenhelen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I just noticed that the 3G plans are cheaper than before. I am currently on a grandfathered plan that gives me a total of 2GB for $30. I am also on the old rewards plan where I get discounts on my bill, rather than the new point system. I don't want to switch to the point system. I notice now that I can get 3GB for $30, but it also says "3x points-back" as part of that plan. Does that mean if I change to that plan (or any new plan), I will be automatically converted to the points system?

13 REPLIES 13

Queenally
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My husband switched plans in the summer when our internet was down, and switched back to a different plan in the fall with no problems keeping rewards. He saves $4 a month, and I save $7.

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Again as so many have advised you -----No - it won't convert to the point system. Why not award one of the posters the "solution" ///

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@helenhelen 

You will find that Public Mobile is sneakily trying to convert all it's 'now grandfathered' rewards customers over to Public Points.

Don't fall for it!!!

Not only on plan descriptions do they tout the supposed benefits of Public Points, but on their self-serve screens there are subtle reminders of how Public Points could 'save you more'

Again, DON'T fall for it.

The only way it might be worth an old rewards member switching to the new points system is IF they're on a $50 or higher plan (given the 5% back in points) and if they routinely purchase add-ons which are discounted when using points for purchase.

There aren't likely many in the above, combined categories, however for them it might be a toss up whether to switch.

For the vast majority of the rest of us, we're pretty content staying put.

@helenhelen  Me either ,  but in the meant time we will continue to enjoy old rewards , just be sure to change plan for next renewal and not immediately so you don’t lose out on current cycle 

@helenhelen wrote:

oops, I guess I am able to switch to this 3GB plan (I think)..

@helenhelen 

Yes, you can change to the 3GB data plan (3G speeds) for $30.  You will still remain on the old rewards system.  You need to separately  switch to the new rewards points system (not recommended).  

@helenhelen  Yes you can switch to the 3GB for $30 it’s for existing customers like us 

helenhelen

Yes, the new rewards system is unfortunate for new users. I hope they don't force us to switch in the future!

@helenhelen @I totally agree with you and the $2 auto pay and years of loyalty &1 for first year $2 for second up to a maximum of $5 for 5 years that’s $7 you can have off bill after 5 years even with no friend referrals 

helenhelen

oops, I guess I am able to switch to this 3GB plan (I think)..

helenhelen

Yeah, the old rewards system was way better. Because of all my referrals, I am paying $4/month right now...

@helenhelen  you will not lose old rewards by switching plans I can confirm this I’m on old rewards and just switched to the 15GB plan for $40 and kept my old rewards 

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@helenhelen  You can keep your old rewards if you change plans there tied to you account not you plan ,, you have to actively switch to points and don’t do it it’s not worth it 

helenhelen

nevermind - just noticed this 3GB plan is only for new users. However, I still have the same question about whether changing to a new play that specifies points will cause me to lose my current old rewards system.

Need Help? Let's chat.