cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expired prepaid cellphone plan, can the number be ported?

Jenson702
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, I'm on 7/11 Speakout prepaid and the plan expired yesterday, however I have 7 days from this expiry date to top-up and keep my number and balance. Just wonder if I were to switch to Public Mobile would they be able to port over the number for an expired account and do it within a week?

14 REPLIES 14

Cornel_I
Customer Support Agent

Hi cellphoneuser1& friends :),

Please take this to the bank ;):

Indeed, any given phone number must be in active-working order to begin with, for it to be "portable".

With your service working in regards to being able to call out and text, the number is good to go as far as a port-in is concerned.

It's also a must to be sure that the number is not in the process of being ported to another provider.

Here's the expectations to have with any port:

With most wireless to wireless ports it will take between 45 mins and 2.5 hours for the number to be transferred and fully functional with the new carrier, while the port is in process, "mixed service" will be experienced, meaning that the number will be in active status on both ends, you'll be able to call out using this number from both ends while the port is going trough, but not be able to receive calls at all, until the port is completed, at which point the number remains in full working order with the new carrier, and goes into cancelled status on its own with the original carrier, and that will be mission accomplished.

Regards,

Cornel 
Public Mobile Moderators team 

@Jenson702 wrote:

Thank you all for the replies. I think I will wait for Black Friday. What kind of deals can we expect from PM? What did they offer last year?

@Jenson702  I just looked thru the announcements page and last year they offered a similar promo to the one that ended two weeks ago. Get a free SIM card and a 30 day credit equal to the plan you select. (This may have a minimum plan required ie $25+.) Generally you can pay for a bigger plan ie $50 and recieve a $50 credit and then downgrade to a cheaper plan ie $25 on your next renewal which would in effect give you a 2 month credit. It may also be stackable with other offers such as the now expired RBCREWARDS  promo which gave an extra $10 off per month plus 5gb of data add ons (which roll over til used up) so keep your eye out for other promos available on sites like red flag deals. Spend time here on the community to learn as much as possible before you sign up to avoid any pitfalls new users can experience and you can also sign up for deal alerts on the plans page so you can jump on a good promo when announced. And remeber to activate with a temporary number first before porting from speak out. Good luck and soon...welcome to public mobile!

Exactly when you use the Rogers network you follow the Rogers porting rules. 

@geopublic wrote:

@Jenson702  Speakout is under the Rogers umbrella it's not Freedom.Account must be active to port out.

No they're not. They use Rogers network but Speakout is not owned or run by Rogers. Speakout is Ztar Mobile.

@Jenson702  Speakout is under the Rogers umbrella it's not Freedom.Account must be active to port out.

Jenson702

Thank you all for the replies. I think I will wait for Black Friday. What kind of deals can we expect from PM? What did they offer last year?

@Jenson702 wrote:

I'm afraid if I ask Speakout customer service they'll just lie to me and say it can't be ported if it's in the expired grace period lol. That's why I'm asking here in case someone has encountered a similiar situation with Speakout.

Everyone's saying account must be active to port but unless someone is a Speakout customer, members here don't know if account in grace period is considered active by Speakout. Like I said, Freedom allows it but Public doesn't for porting out.

Your choice is to try and see if it ports but if it fails, you will need moderator for the fix. The oher choice is pay for your Speakout plan for less risk of issues.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Jenson702  Your Speakout account must be active in order to be able to port out your number to Public Mobile.

@Jenson702  Can you top up your speak out account with the minimum plan available? This would ensure your account is active and guarantee a successful port. A speak out port can take several days. If you can port without a top up in its 7 day expiry stage then activating a SIM card on pms network  with a temporary number and then porting over your speak out number should be done sooner rather than later. Also keep in mind if you want to keep the number from speak out and you have to pay for another 30 day plan a pm flash sale/promo will almost certainly happen by black Friday near the end of November so waiting til then to activate with pm may be financially beneficial to stay with speak out by topping up and activating with pm then with the assurance that you will have an active account with speak out to port your number in.

Jenson702

I'm afraid if I ask Speakout customer service they'll just lie to me and say it can't be ported if it's in the expired grace period lol. That's why I'm asking here in case someone has encountered a similiar situation with Speakout.

@GinYVR wrote:

@Jenson702No you have to have an active account with 7-11 before you are allowed to port out.

Some prepaid like Freedom allow port out when plan payment is late and in grace.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@Jenson702No you have to have an active account with 7-11 before you are allowed to port out.

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@Jenson702 wrote:

Hello, I'm on 7/11 Speakout prepaid and the plan expired yesterday, however I have 7 days from this expiry date to top-up and keep my number and balance. Just wonder if I were to switch to Public Mobile would they be able to port over the number for an expired account and do it within a week?

You can try but it might fail. Some carriers allow the port out but some don't. Speakout would be the best to ask. The consideration is if Speakout considers this active.

Need Help? Let's chat.