cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Existing customers new sim card

Mcpublicm
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I got hold of Telus customer service was able to help me chat with SiMON regarding my service issue re unable to make calls and caller got voice mail right away. I got an ARS ticket number. I was asked to go to Telus store to get a public mobile SIM card which I went and bought but Telus can’t activate for me. I got the New SIM and want to get it activated but did not know how. Please help. 

35 REPLIES 35

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Mcpublicm 

You're welcome. I knew absolutely nothing about cellphones and the like....when I joined public mobile. The community was incredibly helpful and the knowledge I have gained is invaluable  but it's the empowerment that really hits the mark as you no longer feel helpless to an electronic device that fits in your pocket. When you have some time to kill pop into the community. Ask a question in the search bar or pose it to the community. Read some posts, add a comment......a little participation can go a long way in making you feel a lot more confident about your phone, your public mobile account and service. We are always happy to help!

Mcpublicm

Thank you so much. Your explanation really helps me understand the reason behind and now more comfortable when communicating with the PM support rep. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Mcpublicm 

No. But if the telus rep could have activated the Sim card you would have two accounts. The problem you have stems from the Sim card often after a renewal doesn't communicate well with your account so certain features don't work properly like incoming calling going to voicemail. To fix this the Sim card needs to be reprovisioned to the account so it can read all the features on your account again.

Rarely a Sim card will wear out or become defective and reprovisioning it will not fix the problem or the problems keep coming back more and more often or it just stops working. Only then is it recommended to replace the Sim card with a new one. The telus rep made this suggestion because they have no access to your account so it's an easy fix if the Sim card is defective but it doesn't fix anything if all that is needed is reprovisioning because it's the "communication" between the Sim card and your account that needs fixing not the actual physical Sim card itself.

There are troubleshooting tricks you can try yourself that may or may not work but rather than try and not succeed you might as well get done properly thru the back end by customer support as ultimately that will be the best way to fix it and not make it anymore confusing than it already has been for you.

Mcpublicm

Thank you very much for the detailed instructions. I think the new sim was activated as my self serve account showed the new sim # when I signed back on. Would this create a new active account meaning I have two now as I CHANGED it in my account profile?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Mcpublicm 

Thankfully they couldn't activate your Sim card or you would have an even bigger problem of having two active accounts. Let's try and make this simple.....

• Read the instructions below and click on the link at the bottom of the page to start composing a private message to customer support.
  • Put "Sim swap/ reprovision Sim card" in the subject line and explain from the beginning the steps you have taken so far.
  • Include your verification info from lines #1 and #2 below. Only put it in your private message do not post it here in the community. 
  • Include the last 4 digits of your old Sim card and the last 4 digits of your new Sim card.
  • Check in the morning for a response by checking your private message box here in the community.
  • Reply to the message from the CSA.

Send a private message...   Contact the CSA's (formerly moderators) by sending a private message and leave a detailed message explaining your issue and the info to verify your account by including the following information:  

1. Full name and address on pm account. ( Or province and postal code for newer accounts.)
  2. Email, phone # and 4 digit account pin #.

If you cannot remember your pin # include at least three ( if they apply)of the following:

1.  Date of birth (n/a on newer accounts.)
  2. Last payment, date, amount, type and last 4 digits.
  3. Alternate phone number if any.
  4. Security question and answer.
  5. Plan amount, any add ons or promos on account.
  6. Last 4 digits of sim card.
  7. Any rewards in your account.
  8. Autopay y/n?
  9. Account #.
  10. Frequently called/texted phone numbers in the last 30 days.  

The average wait time is 2 to 4 hours but be prepared to wait up to 48 hours for non urgent requests. Current wait times are about one hour and are probably even less as I have had some very quick responses in the past week.

Keep an eye on your private message box the envelope icon next to your avatar for a little number to pop indicating a message from the CSA's (formerly moderators.) Responding promptly will speed up service times.

Do not post any of this info in the community only in your private messages when communicating or contacting the CSA/Moderator_Team.

To send a private message to the CSA's (formerly moderators) click below
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Mcpublicm

When I called that number. Another Telus service rep said they cannot help. I have the ticket number but not know where to go. Thank you 

Mcpublicm

I was unable to log a ticket with PM. I got a phone number from one of the chat helper who posted a 1-844 line to call In the chat they said the number provides the tech support serving both Telus and PM. 

Mcpublicm

I already went to 2 stores Telus and Telus/koodo this afternoon. One put my old sim in his phone saw the bar and said it works. I put it back in my phone. Was able to make a call. And got in another store and the bar was gone. This other guy told me he can only sell me a new PM sim and said the Telus store doesn’t have the capacity to activate it. So there comes all these chats.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@JK8 

I think half of the problem was created by getting in touch with a telus rep who reads off of a simplified troubleshooting script. The OP needs public mobile 's customer support. Go to the source.

@Mcpublicm 

Is there a Telus or Koodo store near you? I suggest you go down there to see if they can get your phone working or at least see if the SIM card works in one of their phones.

You might also want to private message a Public Mobile agent to see if your account is provisioned correctly.  They are are closed right now but will be back tomorrow morning. Check your mail icon in the top right hand corner for a reply from them.

Message to Public Mobile Agents by clicking here

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Mcpublicm 

Have you previously been in contact with customer support and they tried resetting your account and reprovisioning your Sim card to your phone? It was then that they advised you to purchase a new Sim card? If not then you need to start with contacting customer support to first determine if you have successfully swapped out your Sim card. If so then they need to reset your account and provision your new Sim card to your account. If your old Sim card is still in your account they need to reset your account and reprovision your old Sim card to the account. If that does not work then have them perform the Sim swap and see if it works and if not reset and provision the new Sim card.

Either way this sounds like a provisioning issue and purchasing and swapping out the Sim card was probably premature but you found the community now and we will guide you to a resolution. To contact customer support forget about SIMon and send a detailed private message. Read the linked post below or just skip to the spoiler for the steps and advice on how to send a private message efficiently.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Get-Support-Contact-Customer-Support/m-p/...

Mcpublicm

Yes, I did. Let me tried again now

Mcpublicm

I found that my phone gets down very quickly . Isn’t this because the phone keeps searching for network?

@Mcpublicm 

Yes…reboot means turn off and then turn back on again. Have you tried that with your phone?

Mcpublicm

what is an unlocked phone? Does reboot means power off? Sorry for the dump questions. 

@Mcpublicm 

Do you know anyone with an unlocked phone that you can put your SIM card in and reboot to see if it works.

Mcpublicm

Yes, I saw it was active. Want to get back on the self serve account and it is now down for maintenance!

@Mcpublicm 

Can you confirm that when you log into your self service account the status says “Active”.

Mcpublicm

I went off and logged back into PE self serve and the sim has now been updated. However, still no service bar and on right corner beside the battery it said SOS which was the same as the old SIM card. The service technician of PM checked and said likely the sim not working and asked to get a new Sim. I went to Apple Store and their tech team checked/scanned my phone and told me/ showed me the results of the scan with their device that all functions are green meaning all good from the phone device perspective. They said the problem is with the service provider and they were thinking the sim of my phone is not working that’s why can call out and receive call and can’t send or receive text messages too. So sad and tired. I have no tech sense so I don’t know how to clear cache of my phone. Anyways the new sim has been updated on my PM a self serve account, so no need to worry about cache now at least

@Mcpublicm 

Try changing sim again in self service. Clear your browser cache and then open a new browser in incognito/private mode.

Before you do this….what is wrong with your old SIM card? Are you positive it is broken? 

Mcpublicm

The account info page still showing the old SIM card #. Don’t know how to reset network setting on iPhone. 

@Mcpublicm 

Try resetting the network settings on your phone and reboot. Also if you go to self service do you see your new sim number in your account.

Mcpublicm

I did the above but entered the new Sim # correctly and saved. It said it was saved. Power of the phone, put in the new SIM card and power it back on. There is no reception. In the account profile the current sim showed the old SIM card #. I tried to entered the new SIM card again and when click saved. It said the New Sim # is not valid??? Not sure what to do now

@Mcpublicm wrote:

Sorry, I saw it but I want to make sure I understand both of you properly. You mean that new Sim will be switched and activated when I just change the current sim number to the new card sim number. After I changed it how long does it take to wait for my phone to work? 

@Mcpublicm   Yes, you login to My Account, click Change SIM card on top right from Quick Link menu, then enter the new sim number and follow the rest of the step.

https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/en/account/edit/your-accounthttps://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/en/account/edit/your-account

Usually it is pretty instant.  once you completed the change sim request, power off the phone, insert the new sim card, reboot and it should work

@Mcpublicm wrote:

Sorry, I saw it but I want to make sure I understand both of you properly. You mean that new Sim will be switched and activated when I just change the current sim number to the new card sim number. After I changed it how long does it take to wait for my phone to work? 

The change is immediate.

Mcpublicm

@Mcpublicm wrote:

But this appears to create a new account to activate the new Sim, but I already has an account for years. I just need it activated under my current account 

Please follow the instructions in the message posted an hour earlier by Metal1967 to get your service switched to your new SIM card.

@Lehaha wrote:

Go to Public Mobile website, then 

88AC0856-7931-4ED0-9EB3-6277DDCD7554.jpeg

EB7587C5-2795-44B6-BBB4-9D40962DE5F7.jpeg

 follow the steps, it’s very easy 

Unfortuantely, the above wouldn't help an existing Public Mobile customers which was indicated in the first message of this thread.

Mcpublicm

But this appears to create a new account to activate the new Sim, but I already has an account for years. I just need it activated under my current account 

@Mcpublicm 

You posted yesterday… can you log into your PM account? Is it Active status? Did you try old sim in another unlocked phone?

Need Help? Let's chat.