cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dont want bonus data

fraspear
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This probably isn't a question you get often: how do I stop receiving the autopay data bonus on my kid's account?  I don't want data on their phone, only want accessed when connected to wifi, which is why I bought the talk only plan.

23 REPLIES 23

Wiggumsfield
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Another option is to buy a phone that doesn't have extra features/games etc.  Some simple flip phones are available and could work to solve this issue.

@hTideGnow wrote:

@fraspear turn off Mobile Data.

Also, you can use some app to lock the Settings page.

Or change the APN settings slightly and the phone won't be able to access data.

You don't need any apps. All Android devices and all iOS devices allow you to lock the settings with some kind of user PIN/passcode. (Different from any user PIN/passcode you use to lock the screen, lock the dialer, lock the contacts list, lock the SIM card, etc.) It's supposed to be a "security" feature for when you let other people use your phone unsupervised to talk on calls/etc - so they can't muck around with your settings, change any of your PIN/passcode stuff, install software, etc.

Be aware that Public Mobile is strictly pre-paid and pre-allocated - you cannot use any sort of overage and you cannot be overcharged - once you use up your (30-day) provision you simply get no more until you buy add-ons or until you (or your AutoPay) renews your plan.

Also be aware that MMS attachments (photos) require cellular data to be active, they will not work across WiFi. Though they are indeed "unlimited" (as promised) - they will each be reported in Self-Serve usage history as an "MMS Event" which consumes 0.00MB of billable data.

If you just want to burn your data then force the device to watch 8K video streams or run a bunch of speedtests. Although Telus (Openwave) "optimization" machinery is built into the Telus network and will eventually "learn" how to "helpfully" reduce/restrict your device's bandwidth consumption.

Oh okay, so really only “sort of” bonus data. And I guess that even if changing to loading $$ manually to your account and removing credit card, the 250 MB will still be there even though it is supposedly an Autopay bonus.

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector 

The OP was referring to the 250 mb of data you get with autopay on  the $15 plan. Hope that clears things up for you. ☺️

But what bonus data are we talking about? If a very new customer getting the 2GB extra data automatically, didn’t that only come with $35 and higher plans? If so why would the OP have got a $35 plan when only talk and maybe text are wanted which is unlimited on the $25 plan? Maybe OP has had this plan for years since the plan builder existed as they say they got a “voice only plan” which hasn’t been available for quite a while now.

Confused….

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Never tried this so personally I dont know if this works ... take the autopay off and remember to pay the renewal each cycle atleast 3 days prior to the due date but your autopay reward will be gone.

If you want to keep the reward then either turn the data off and if kids know to turn it on then install a third party app to control daily limit as 1kb. otherwise as mentioned you always have the option of eating up all the data on the first day of renewal. couple of HD youtube videos will eat 250MB. 

@LeePublic wrote:

@fraspear If you don't want the data, you can pay for the plan without autopay (voucher or one time charges), but you won't get the $2 off and the 250 MB bonus. Tbh, 250 MB is not a lot of data and depending on the phone, (iPhone or Android) they might need that data to communicate with friends or family via iMessage/ FB messenger/ IG Messenger /WhatsApp/ Telegram, etc.

@LeePublic  - Actually, the $15 plan is the only plan that even if Autopay is off, the plan still provides 250 data...even though it is advertised differently.

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@fraspear If you don't want the data, you can pay for the plan without autopay (voucher or one time charges), but you won't get the $2 off and the 250 MB bonus. Tbh, 250 MB is not a lot of data and depending on the phone, (iPhone or Android) they might need that data to communicate with friends or family via iMessage/ FB messenger/ IG Messenger /WhatsApp/ Telegram, etc.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@CountyDownIeUk : lol well this ain't the border or CRA is it.

The interpretation is a what if maybe possibly that's the reason for asking the question in the first place.

At least it wasn't the laundry list from Armagh 🙂

Tiprix
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@fraspear 

Another option would be to go on the "Data Usage Control" on each phone and identify that all apps will need to use Wi-Fi ONLY to operate.  So even if they toggle data on and off, they won't be able to use data.

@Anonymous wrote:

@CountyDownIeUk : I'm one to say something to that user but in this case I interpret it as a somewhat reasonable aside for the context.

LOL..  You know what TMI gets you at the border or with CRA???

Why sneak around to use up the child's data?    Who is the boss in the household?

Meow
Mayor / Maire

This is the first one... Usually people want MORE data/minutes/whatever...

As most suggested, sneak in into kids room, grab his/her phone and use data for whatever.

But it will Not stop your kid to use Internet...

If you are having plan with a lot of data, downgrade to $15 and 250MB will go in no time (when kids are involved).

All PM's plans come with some data.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@CountyDownIeUk : I'm one to say something to that user but in this case I interpret it as a somewhat reasonable aside for the context.

@Anonymous wrote:

@fraspear 

if you are confused about public mobile overcharges but for 30 day Prepaid Service No fees extra charges,so don't worry about it,

when your data limit used all, is will be off until next renewal cycle,

or you can go to Changing APN Settings and remove everything and is will be data not working, 

Read what the OP is asking please. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@fraspear 

if you are confused about public mobile overcharges but for 30 day Prepaid Service No fees extra charges,so don't worry about it,

when your data limit used all, is will be off until next renewal cycle,

or you can go to Changing APN Settings and remove everything and is will be data not working, 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@fraspear- another way to burn off data is to run speed tests.

@Quigley wrote:

@fraspear 

At the beginning of the renewal cycle hotspot the data and use it all up right away so there's no more data for the rest of the month!

Problem solved 😬

Two fantastic answers. @Quigley @hairbag1 

And you could just leave the hotspot running.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@fraspear turn off Mobile Data.

Also, you can use some app to lock the Settings page.

Or change the APN settings slightly and the phone won't be able to access data.

@fraspear 

At the beginning of the renewal cycle hotspot the data and use it all up right away so there's no more data for the rest of the month!

Problem solved 😬

t_p
Mayor / Maire

@fraspear 

In fact, you get the data with or without autopay on that plan.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@fraspear : You can't. And there's no talk-only plan. If you're allowing wifi then what's the problem with cell data? If you have an Android then there's a way to stop it from using data but still allow MMS picture messages.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@fraspear wrote:

This probably isn't a question you get often: how do I stop receiving the autopay data bonus on my kid's account?  I don't want data on their phone, only want accessed when connected to wifi, which is why I bought the talk only plan.

Unfortunatley for you...the data is included in all plans including the $15 plan. Turn data OFF on phone, is all one thing you can do.

edit...alternative is to go into their phone on morning of new renewal and burn off all data by watching some Netflix or something. Shouldn't take too long. Then data is gone until next renewal in 30 days. ( @Quigley beat me to that idea)

Need Help? Let's chat.