cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does $25 plan has unlimited 3g data after you use up the data linit thats offered in the plan?

realzaheer
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have heard Lucky mobile gives it's customer unlimited data at reduced speed after the data is used up thats offerd in the plan. Does this happen too in PM? what after the usage of data that comes with the plan?

Thanks.

51 REPLIES 51

@Anonymous wrote:

@jor123 wrote:

I do, that's why I said "paying for an add on OR every month for extra usage".

The second side of the or wasn't clear to me.

I still disagree with the value of way slow throttled data. But we all see things how we like. 🙂

Unlimited sells, even if it is slow. Public Mobile not offering it means that many potential customers won't consider them. The rewards at Public Mobile generally don't provide immediate discounts, so for the brand new customers, they likely see either Lucky or Chatr to be of much better value.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jor123 wrote:

The second side of the or wasn't clear to me.

I still disagree with the value of way slow throttled data. But we all see things how we like. 🙂

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Anonymous wrote:

@jor123 wrote:

If you only occasionally go over your monthly allotment or just want basic web browsing after the fact there's not much advantage in paying for an add on or every month for extra usage when you can get the same for free. Whether sites are too bandwidth intensive these days is a completely different discussion - that doesn't discount the fact that PM has less value in this regard no matter how you slice it. 

Perhaps you aren't clear on the functioning of add-ons. You don't need to buy them each month. They stay on your account until used.

So you run out of your plan data. You buy an add-on. You use some of it. Your plan renews. Plan data gets used and the add-on steps back. Oh no...you've used all your plan data again. The add-on steps up and you continue to have data. etc.

The high-bandwidth sites are a part of this as that is data consumption and load time. If you're plodding along at these "unlimited" speeds then those sites will be painful to use.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jor123 wrote:

If you only occasionally go over your monthly allotment or just want basic web browsing after the fact there's not much advantage in paying for an add on or every month for extra usage when you can get the same for free. Whether sites are too bandwidth intensive these days is a completely different discussion - that doesn't discount the fact that PM has less value in this regard no matter how you slice it. 

Perhaps you aren't clear on the functioning of add-ons. You don't need to buy them each month. They stay on your account until used.

So you run out of your plan data. You buy an add-on. You use some of it. Your plan renews. Plan data gets used and the add-on steps back. Oh no...you've used all your plan data again. The add-on steps up and you continue to have data. etc.

The high-bandwidth sites are a part of this as that is data consumption and load time. If you're plodding along at these "unlimited" speeds then those sites will be painful to use.

jor123

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jor123 wrote:

@Anonymous Well, I mean, if you have to choose between the two slow is better than nothing.

I would choose the add-ons for that buffer of overage to tie me over until renewal. If I'm always going over then I would go up in plan data.

There is so much crap on websites these days unlike ye olden days of yesteryear that were mostly just text. Then all the streaming that sucks down data. Gee...do you wonder why all the carriers promote and advertise using their services for all your streaming needs? Yeah...pay for their data.

But it's pretty sage observation coming from the previous post.

jor123

@Anonymous Well, I mean, if you have to choose between the two slow is better than nothing.

@Anonymous If it weren't for rewards, I'd be gone tomorrow, whether it's to Lucky, Zoomer, or Chatr.  I thknk that Public Mobile knows this of many customers. The Public Mobile offerings are just no longer keeping up, whether it's a matter of unlimited data, call centre support, or price and amount of data included in plans.

I think that I have a pretty good feel of how many customers have been joining lately, and I'd dare make a claim that I believe it's on a serious downward trend, not only with both many existing customers leaving (I keep track of my referral numbers), but also with a relatively lower number of new activations. My claims are unscientific of course, but it's the impression that I'm getting.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tom19 wrote:

I am thing of switching to Lucky Mobile because of unlimited data plan.

@Tom19 

Ok. Enjoy the deathly slow "unlimited".

Tom19
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am thing of switching to Lucky Mobile because of unlimited data plan.

I have changed the solution to reflect that the question was answered in the first reply to this thread.

@Luddite wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@Luddite 

Thanks for the sacrifice....what did that $10 plan speed test cost you? 200mb?

@darlicious  Didn't play close attention, but that's about right I'd say.

@Luddite  Ouch! Thats quite the sacrifice and led to quite the debate over how much data is used when performing a speed test using unthrottled 4G LTE data. (Which should serve as warning to users to not do this.) However during this debate my answer to a question posed by @will13am  with me speculating as to why pm includes data on the $15 plan regardless of whether autopay is enabled has been chosen by the OP as the solution which does not seem to be correct. Perhaps you would like to unmark the solution and allow the OP to reconsider.....if you think it doesn't correctly answer the original question.

@realzaheer  While it's always nice to be awarded a solution I don't think my answer is correct in regards to your solution. Yes the data defaults to 3G speed via the 4G LTE being throttled because your plan is currently offered only in that speed so data add ons will also only be in that speed. Is that the answer you were seeking? Otherwise feel free to edit your choice of solution by clicking the three dots on the top right of your original post/solution. This will allow you to unmark the solution and accept a different one.

@popping  I believe @computergeek541  has awarded you the correct solution!

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@Luddite wrote:

$10 plan, phone set to LTE, download 38 Mbps

$15 plan, phone set to LTE, download 2.9 Mbps

Both on autopay

@Luddite, when did you add the data to the $10 plan?  Has it been there a while to allow any possible throttling set in (72 hours)

@ShawnC13 The Christmas freebie; so, months ago.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@darlicious wrote:

@Luddite 

@darlicious  Didn't play close attention, but that's about right I'd say.

@darlicious wrote:

@will13am 

That is correct the add on data on my $10 plan is unthrottled full 4G LTE. The add on data on my $15 plan is throttled 4G LTE (download 3.2mbps/1.2mbps upload).There are no currently available plans that are talk/text only so all data add ons will be throttled 4G LTE. A moderator confirmed to me that the data cannot be blocked on a $15 plan so that plan on autopay or not does include data. Thus as per the terms for the purchase of data add ons.......
Data Add-Ons to supplement a Data Plan will be provisioned at the data speed selected in your plan. If you have a Talk and/or Text Plan only with no data, the Data Add-Ons available to you will be defaulted to 4G LTE speed.

@computergeek541 @Anonymous 

Agreed the amount of data used in a speed test can vary wildly dependent on a number of factors so by using a simplistic mathematical equation for comparison is not an accurate enough test to make assumptions on individual data speed tests. But given the common sense advice on how to help others here in the community we are to be mindful and err on the side of caution. So it would be best to advise against data speed tests in the first 72 hours after activation or a switch from a grandfathered 4G LTE plan or the $30/1gb data only plan so the user (especially on the $15 plan) does not waste 60mb - 120mb+ of data testing their data speeds.

The common sense advice is not to encourage speed testing period.  At best it can provide a bit of mildly useful troubleshooting information.  

@will13am 

That is correct the add on data on my $10 plan is unthrottled full 4G LTE. The add on data on my $15 plan is throttled 4G LTE (download 3.2mbps/1.2mbps upload).There are no currently available plans that are talk/text only so all data add ons will be throttled 4G LTE. A moderator confirmed to me that the data cannot be blocked on a $15 plan so that plan on autopay or not does include data. Thus as per the terms for the purchase of data add ons.......
Data Add-Ons to supplement a Data Plan will be provisioned at the data speed selected in your plan. If you have a Talk and/or Text Plan only with no data, the Data Add-Ons available to you will be defaulted to 4G LTE speed.

@computergeek541 @Anonymous 

Agreed the amount of data used in a speed test can vary wildly dependent on a number of factors so by using a simplistic mathematical equation for comparison is not an accurate enough test to make assumptions on individual data speed tests. But given the common sense advice on how to help others here in the community we are to be mindful and err on the side of caution. So it would be best to advise against data speed tests in the first 72 hours after activation or a switch from a grandfathered 4G LTE plan or the $30/1gb data only plan so the user (especially on the $15 plan) does not waste 60mb - 120mb+ of data testing their data speeds.

@darlicious wrote:

@will13am 

It causes all data add ons to default to 3G speed.....

I believe it is the plan profile the determines whether there is throttling or not.  I know people who have the $10 plan and buy add-on data.  That plan does not recieve data throttling.  

@darlicious wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@computergeek541 

I'm not quite sure where you're getting your math on that one...i just did a speed test on my $15 account download 3.2mbps/1.2mbps and it used  10.16mb . (3.2×3.15sec=10.16)  So using ghat as a base for the average speed test the 4G LTE average data  speed as tested by @Luddite  would be 38mbps × 3.15 sec = 119.7mb used. A very gracious sacrifice as that amounts to almost half the allotted plan data on the $15 account. I was only willing to sacrifice 10.16mb......

I'm basing about 60MB being used at least for the download part of the test with a 38Mbps download speed test result on similar past results that I have saved on my phone using the most recent version of Speedtest for Android.  A download result of 34.6Mbps used 54.1MB (just for the download).The total can also vary based on the speed of the upload, but the upload numbers are usually significantly lower.

@computergeek541  Um ok......? Basic math tells you if 3mbps and 10 times that speed 30mbps is used for the same amount of time.....say 3 sec....the results will be 9mb and 90mb. When it comes to speedtests on full 4G LTE its best to err on the side of caution so as to not accidently waste data on a speed test. I would prove my point but I don't want to waste 120mb of data on a speed test!

Neither you nor I know exactly how Speedtest is programmed to use data. The numbers are what they are and the app reports how much was used for each test. Comparing the amount of data being used by a test at a similar speed is going to provide a more accurate estimate of amount used than using a 3Mbps speed test result and then trying to apply a mathematical formula that might not be applicable.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious wrote:

@computergeek541  Um ok......? Basic math tells you if 3mbps and 10 times that speed 30mbps is used for the same amount of time.....say 3 sec....the results will be 9mb and 90mb. When it comes to speedtests on full 4G LTE its best to err on the side of caution so as to not accidently waste data on a speed test. I would prove my point but I don't want to waste 120mb of data on a speed test!

But how do you assume it will take the same 3 seconds? There are many variables. Phone, browser on phone, network congestion, time of day, distance to tower.

Keeping in mind we're not all math and stats whizzes.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@computergeek541 

I'm not quite sure where you're getting your math on that one...i just did a speed test on my $15 account download 3.2mbps/1.2mbps and it used  10.16mb . (3.2×3.15sec=10.16)  So using ghat as a base for the average speed test the 4G LTE average data  speed as tested by @Luddite  would be 38mbps × 3.15 sec = 119.7mb used. A very gracious sacrifice as that amounts to almost half the allotted plan data on the $15 account. I was only willing to sacrifice 10.16mb......

I'm basing about 60MB being used at least for the download part of the test with a 38Mbps download speed test result on similar past results that I have saved on my phone using the most recent version of Speedtest for Android.  A download result of 34.6Mbps used 54.1MB (just for the download).The total can also vary based on the speed of the upload, but the upload numbers are usually significantly lower.

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@Luddite wrote:

Both on autopay

@Luddite, when did you add the data to the $10 plan?  Has it been there a while to allow any possible throttling set in (72 hours)

There shouldn't be any throttling with the $10 plan as it doesn't include any data.

@Luddite wrote:

Both on autopay

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@darlicious wrote:

@computergeek541 

@computergeek541 

I'm not quite sure where you're getting your math on that one...i just did a speed test on my $15 account download 3.2mbps/1.2mbps and it used  10.16mb . (3.2×3.15sec=10.16)  So using that as a base for the average speed test the 4G LTE average data  speed as tested by @Luddite  would be 38mbps × 3.15 sec = 119.7mb used. A very gracious sacrifice as that amounts to almost half the allotted plan data on the $15 account. I was only willing to sacrifice 10.16mb......

@darlicious wrote:

@Luddite 

With a 38Mbps download result if you're using the Speedtest app, you're looking at about 60MB of data usage 

@Luddite 

Both on autopay

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jeez...cross-context argument going on here. 🙂

@will13am 

It causes all data add ons to default to 3G speed.....

@darlicious wrote:

@will13am 

I don't think it's an "error" in our favour rather in public mobiles favour.....

How so?  Customers get the "bonus data" even if autopay is not enabled?  

Need Help? Let's chat.