cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did the Rogers Communications outage effect Telus/PM?

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Did the Rogers Communications outage effect Telus/PM?

I ask because all day yesterday my data did not work in Toronto.

16 REPLIES 16

Thanks, that's nice to hear!

bluejaywpg
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@sheytoon I did not notice any issues whatsoever. I live in Winnipeg & was in Winnipeg during the entire outage.

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

I'm curious to hear from Manitobans. Especially those who live outside of Winnipeg and Brandon.

Since the Rogers core went down, but Telus and Bell cores stayed up, I'd have expected intermittent service for Bell and Telus customers. The reason I say intermittent is that it depends who owns the specific cell site. If it's a Bell site, their links to Telus core should've stayed up, but Rogers sites would've probably lost connectivity with all external networks like Bell and Telus.

Anyone in MB care to share their experience? @bluejaywpg @lance_t81 @Anonymous @Dtack 

@kheyo   were you sending to Rogers user?  

and make sure, many smaller providers use Rogers network as well

kheyo
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

For me, some of my text messages were not able to send but my data worked fine.

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Yes this is the cause most likely, I experienced the same, hopefully now that Rogers network has come back for the most part it will improve this.

BEER

@CountyDownIeUk wrote:

Hmmmm beer, milk and Tsawwassen.....your not in BC?

What  does my location have anything to do with my question - move on to the lounge if you just want to chit chat -

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Hmmmm beer, milk and Tsawwassen.....your not in BC?

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

I cannot claim speed was slower or not but thanks to PM I was able to accomplish my mandatory daily Internet check. Used 13MB. Not bad and good to know as reference.

For everything else had to go to Walmart and use their Internet. I guess they use Bell?

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

No noticeable substantial reduction in service ...out west in BC.

edit; spelling !

jor123

My mobile data was incredibly slow during the outage as well, at least from lunch time onwards. No doubt lots of congestion when most people have Rogers cable internet here (including me) 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @BEER   and the effect could be long lasting as more people already jumped ship:

https://www.blogto.com/tech/2022/07/other-phone-providers-canada-winning-bigtime-rogers-outage/

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@BEER   You see the slowness because many Rogers users become Belus users for a day 🙂

I have a friend who is mainly a Roger user (home internet and phones) but have 1 Koodo phone for the whole household.  He has to turn on his Mobile hotpot on the Koodo to supply internet for his whole family.   They use that single Koodo phone for checking email, working with VPN.  So, there is a sudden jump in usage on our system due to that

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi @BEER    Technically No.  But reality YES

You will expect more people will be using friends phone with Telus/Bell mobile system.  Also, the internet will also be affected as the traffic will be all routing through Telus/Bell network.  So, the higher usage in all those Wifi location (like Starbucks, Indigo which uses Bell internet) will also affect us somehow

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@BEER hi as far as I know not directly,although I heard there was quite a strain on the system it was draging all day 

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Yes it did. 

My data was slower than dialup and texts took 10 minutes to send. 

Need Help? Let's chat.