cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did anyone else get this 5124 COVID message from the government?

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

Screenshot_20200731-143651.png

 Thanks for replying. Stay safe.

22 REPLIES 22

@kb_mv wrote:

@LurganIeUk wrote:

I'll go by with what the Canadian Government website says...Fraudulent. 

@LurganIeUk You need to read the message that you posted from the government. It does not say that the number is fraudulent, it says people are receiving fraudulent calls from what appears to be the government number (valid) for people to call for Covid-19 info. The key thing to note is the government will not call you from that number, it is for you to call into.

Yes, I got it. 

@LurganIeUk wrote:

The number isn't fraudulent. People are pretending to call from that number by spoofing. Those incoming calls are fraudulent. Anyone can pretend to be calling from somehwere and spoof the number. That doesn't mean that the person is really calling from there or that the number is fake or doesn't really belong to the organization/person that they are claiming to be. Someone can call someone by spoofing my phone number and say that they are calling from computergeek541 and even fake the call display informaiton. That doesn't make my phone number any less valid.

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@LurganIeUk You need to read the message that you posted from the government. It does not say that the number is fraudulent, it says people are receiving fraudulent calls from what appears to be the government number (valid) for people to call for Covid-19 info. The key thing to note is the government will not call you from that number, it is for you to call into.

@LurganIeUk The number is valid. That message is saying someone is calling from what appears to be that number (spoofing). They are warning that it was not them (the government). It's not hard for the bad guys to do. The text message is harmless. The number in the text is harmless to call, it contains Covid 19 info.

@B12 wrote:

For curious minds/those who didn't get anything...For curious minds/those who didn't get anything...

Try Googling the phone number in the text!!!

Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 12.18.21 PM.png

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Public safety is important.. if for some reason you don't want to download the app it's not hard to just ignore the text. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Jb456 I suspect you probably did agree to it, though I'm too lazy to go dig through the terms of service.  You could unsubscribe by cancelling any wireless service.  Or just ignore the message and carry on with your life.  Or better yet: go download the app if you haven't yet.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren it doesn't upset me it is just an annoyance! That I didn't agree to.

I understand providers agreed with Canada to send messages to their customers but I didn't agree to receive this ish.

Public Mobile should offer an "OPT OUT" from these types of messages. It's everywhere to download the app if you want. News, Facebook, papers, etc etc. 

I don't need texts now also about stupid covid.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Jb456 I'm not sure why it upsets you so.  There are no links so it's not like someone is trying to phish or spam you.  It's a message from the government asking you to do your part by downloading the app for anonymous contact tracing to help control COVID-19 in Canada.  Just be happy you live in a province where the app is actually useful.  I'm in BC and have had it since the day the app was available, but in BC it's not enabled for anyone to enter a positive test result and trigger notifications.  I have no idea why we are lagging so far behind, when we are one of the leading tech provinces in the country.  Go figure.

EDIT forgot to say: if you don't like this sms message, just ignore it.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Just go it and I think it's stupid that PM is sending this nonsense. I didn't signup for these types of texts 🤬😤

Screenshot_20201009_124006.jpg

B12
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

For curious minds/those who didn't get anything...For curious minds/those who didn't get anything...

I finally got this message at 9:00pm EDT. Public's breaking their text messaging curfew, although the timestamp says 8:59pm as the time sent.

Haven’t received the text, I am in BC. I did read about the App earlier today and interpreted it as anyone can download the App now but so far it is live (working)  in Ontario only. But It is “coming soon to a province near you” functionally so go ahead and download it any time.

AE_Collector

B12
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I have indeed gotten it. At first I thought it was something more serious.

Thanks to everyone who replied. Appreciate it. Stay safe. 

@gblackma wrote:

To clarify this came from 5124. Is this from Public Mobile? Thanks. 

It is. I received the message; but only on 1 phone so far.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

If you aer in Ontario best to just download the app from the Play or iPhone store.

To clarify this came from 5124. Is this from Public Mobile? Thanks. 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

jnnfrrss
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Didn't get the message but I did see in the news that the app was available now for Ontario. 

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Haven't received one yet but heard about the app today.

Need Help? Let's chat.