cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data

squishtrixie
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My data in the past couple of months seems to be going much faster than I'm actually using it. It's saying that I've used almost 4.5 gigs in the past 2 DAYS!! I know this is ABSOLUTELY INCORRECT because I only go on Facebook a couple of times a day and check the weather and maybe Google a few things, I never watch videos and have my data saver on. What is going on?!

edited by computergeek541:  terms of service (inappropriate language removed)

6 REPLIES 6

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@squishtrixie - are you by any chance looking at the wifi usage on your device?

Install an app to track your ‘live’ usage so you can keep track. Public Mobile are 30 day plans (not monthly).

If you are android, try this one:

Data Witness app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iwik.datawitnesspm&hl=en_CA&gl=US

I use this one myself and it gives me what I need from it.

You could also check out Data counter widget: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.roysolberg.android.datacounter&hl=en_CA&gl=US

If you are an Apple user, I am sure there is a 30-day app that is available as well.

Managing Your Data Usage:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/managing-your-data-usage

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

WHO is saying you used 4.5GB in 2 days? Your phone or PM account?

Always check your account First, do not trust counter on your phone and definitely not 3rd party apps.

Leaving Data On all the time gives opportunity to different apps running in background (and Impossible to stop) to connect to Internet for whatever reason. Download Excel usage sheet from PM and see when your phone (not You!) accessed Internet.

@mskrisc wrote:

Why don’t you use a data tracking app?

Many apps made for this purpose fail to take into account that not all plan all carriers have plans that are exactly one month long.

mskrisc
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Why don’t you use a data tracking app?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@squishtrixie 

After making sure that you have the correct calendar dates for your 30-day cycle selected in your phone look at each apps data usage.

Do you see any that have a high amount of usage? Do you see any that you don't recognize? Any apps that have a large amount of usage for example Facebook go into that apps individual settings and set them to travel mode or turn off auto play settings or change any settings you can to play on Wi-Fi only so that when you do use those apps on mobile data they won't use excessive mobile data to play video in the background for example.

You can also see if you can adjust the video quality played. Also check that you have turned background data off on all of your apps as it can use up to 38% of your mobile data.

Report back if you see any odd discrepancies?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@squishtrixie   I suggest you download the full usage history from Usage History page in My Account, then use Excel to filter the data usage for the past 2 days and check (don't just filter on the Usage history page, it has some bugs, really download the xls file and filter using Excel)

If you have an Android phone, you can use Mobile Data history page to trace the usage of the last 2 days, just change the cycle start date to say Oct 4 and you can see the usage since Oct 4 and you can compare

Need Help? Let's chat.