cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data usage wrong!

PublicGlitches
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I've got 8GB data and it already shows that I have used all my data, which seems impossible as I'm on wifi most of the time. I checked my iPhone and it shows only 4GB data used since renewal! This is extremely annoying!

Can a mod look at this and fix this. 

8 REPLIES 8

Data is billed from network usage, not from device usage.  There's always some overhead which device-side software just can't measure.  The discrepancy can be significant if you're in a fringe service area with low signal bars because many extra packets have to be sent and re-sent (network-side) for error correction packets and protocol handshake/handoff sorts of stuff - all counted towards consumed (billed) data.

The endless trickle of background data can add up.  The software settings on iPhones don't seem to let you halt it completely but you can still disable most of it.

But 4GB vs 8GB seems excessive.  I think there must be something wrong with the data allocations on the account.

@PublicGlitches Suggest you ensure WiFI assist is OFF; otherwise your phone may use cellular data even while on wifi! Also, be sure apps are not allowed to automatically update with cellular data.

Here's an article on how to find which apps are using the data: https://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/03/22/see-how-much-data-apps-are-using/.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PublicGlitches wrote:

I've got 8GB data and it already shows that I have used all my data, which seems impossible as I'm on wifi most of the time. I checked my iPhone and it shows only 4GB data used since renewal! This is extremely annoying!

The counter on the overview page is the accurate one. There have been renewal issues with the data counter recently-ish. Take note of your last renewal date. Go into the upper View My Usage. Select the date range from your last renewal to now. Click on the top heading for Usage Type. You'll see MB for data. The column to the left will show the amount. Add those up. Other than some rounding...that number should be close to the number on the overview counter. If it's not then it didn't reset.

You should have received a text from 611 at 75% and 95% usage.

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@PublicGlitches wrote:

Someone wrote before that iMessage may use data when you sent text using iMessage, so you may need do some setting on iMessage.

Contact @Moderator_Team
It can take up to 48 hours for the team to respond to your concerns.

I wonder, is it possible that you have to disconnect from data before it reports you're latest activity. That would explain the large entries.

If you never disconnect, maybe it updates at midnight?

@PublicGlitches in the data and add on section I find that very accurate if you see some still there then I would contact a moderator if none is showing it has to be used moderators here

PublicGlitches
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I checked, but every time at 12:01 it shows a couple of hundred MB's being used. Every day same time. It doesn't seem accurate at all. If that's when they update it, then it's still not accurate as I like to see real time data usage.

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@PublicGlitches if you check your self serve account in data and addon section how much data shows if there is nothing there then you have used it all

Need Help? Let's chat.