cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data is really slow in Montreal

SJ777
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Is there a reason why Public mobile tops out at 20mb/s data in Montreal?

Generally it's 15-17mb/s....

I just switched from Rogers and this is pathetic, I would always get over 70mb/s with Rogers LTE, does Public mobile just have really bad service in the Montreal area?

8 REPLIES 8

hi @Handy1 the technology can certainly give much higher speed on what we can get on 4G or 5G, but as a consumer, we only have choice to take what is being offered.  For speed wise, most consumers are good with LTE and don't need 5G.    We need to move on from 3G to 4G to 5G just because one day the older technology will be phased out, not really the consumers need the new speed that much..

And OP issue is probably an account specific issue and not a "regular" service speed PM offers 

@SJ777  I don’t disagree with you , that’s to slow and I would be hot under the collar with those results 

@hTideGnow  And @SJ777  when 4G first came out even with PM it was much faster and un capped yess all carriers cap the data speed .but with 5G+ which most folks are on with the big 3 it to is capped  at 2GBps and with all plans it’s near impossible to get any of the advertised speeds unless one is sitting under the tower while the rest of Canada  is sleeping . Further more @hTideGnow  regular 5G as you call it is not real 5G speed it’s more a gimmick when you consider the first 4G plans where capable of 1000mbs and today the fastest 4G plans offered are up to 150mbs from the competition and PM is just up to 100mbs for the same regular 4G plan . So when you look at that way it makes PM little underwhelming 

HI @Handy1 

PM regular 5G speed is as fast as Telus 5G plan (i meant non-5G+ plan).  Since PM use the exact same 5G network as 5G, there is no reason to say PM will never be as fast as the Big 3 offer

I think regular Rogers 5G plan also capped at 250Mbps

and I think OP issue is an account problem, has nothing to do with PM has bad service.  On a normal situation, PM 5G plan speed is as good as the Big 3's regular 5G services

@SJ777 , not sure the speed in Montreal, but did you check any of your friend using Telus or Koodo?  how their speed like?  Check with support, they can refresh your account and some people get their speed problem resolved that way

SJ777

Screenshot_20241014-202327.png

 if I was getting anything close to even 40mb/s I'd be fine, look at the above numbers - that's much closer to 0 than it is to 100 .

@SJ777  It’s not that PM has bad service their data speed is capped up to 100mbs 4G and up to 250mbs 5G , so when comparing Rogers /telus and bell you will be disappointed as PM will never be as fast as data speed as what the big 3 offer . But on the other hand you will pay little bit more for the service with big 3 5G+ with them is up 2GBps

SJ777

It's a Motorola Edge 2023, unlocked 5G from Motorola North America.

Yes, I reset all networks, reset the phone, even removed and reinstalled the sim card for good measure, still turtle speed.

I have a 4G plan.

If I select 3G on my phone I get under 6-9mb/down and 0.05 up, on LTE the speed is a whopping 6-10mb/s down and under 1mb/s up.But for some reason if I select 5G I can sometimes get a over 15mb down,haven't seen more than 20.. upload is always dismal and under 1mb.

I'll try and open a ticket, if this is what Public mobile offers in Montreal I guess I'll just go back to Rogers and get Visa to charge back my first month.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @SJ777 

what phone do you have?

did you try Reset All networks on your phone?

and what network mode it is using ? 3G? 4G? or 5G? did you try to manually connect to 4G/LTE on you phone?

Meow
Mayor / Maire

You will have to open a ticket and ask agent why data is 'so's low there.
Why do you need faster data?

Need Help? Let's chat.