cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data explained

messenabout
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Could someone please explain to me my data on my plan. How much data do I have per month? What does one time use mean? And anything else pertinent please. Thank you.

PS I have an account with the community but I can't find how to log in or what my password is ETC. I used a different email address and created a new account to get to this point now today. But I'd prefer to use my original account. I'm not even sure what my username is.

11 REPLIES 11

messenabout

I just wanted to mention that I found a $60 a month unlimited Home internet Wi-Fi plan thru Freedom Mobile. It's been 10 months now and I am completely satisfied with the service and the support.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@messenabout 

The $40/5gb plan has been around for as long as almost any current plan. There were a couple of blips when pm tried to change things up but it returned to its current state after a few weeks. But if you are concerned at all after you change to a different plan schedule a plan change back to the $40/5gb plan. Once scheduled pm honours it.

You can cancel the scheduled plan change at any time up until renewal. So you can cancel it on day 30. Renew on the new plan. Reschedule the next day back to the $40/5gb plan.....if you are worried about pm suddenly pulling the $40 plan. Continue doing this each month until you really are ready to return to the $40/5gb plan then don't cancel the scheduled change plan on next renewal....just let it actually go thru that time.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include in your private messaging only your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

messenabout

If I change my plan and get more data when I want to go back to my original plan is it still possible to get it for the same rate etc? I've heard people say that that plan is no longer offered at, say $40. I love my plan and for the most part it works for me. Can I reserve it or something LOL?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@messenabout 

Your welcome. If you ever have questions just come here and ask. Try to be aware of the months with 31 days so you know to adjust your data tracker dates on the next renewal. If you live outside of the eastern time zone your data tracker will be off by a few hours so be aware of your data usage on the night of your renewal. For example in bc renewal occurs at 9pm Pacific but our phone's data tracker starts tracking a new month at midnight Pacific so it won't account for any usage between 9pm and midnight accurately on the new cycle. One member makes a point to not use any mobile data during those 3 hours to keep their data tracker as accurate as possible.

Your data add ons (1gb, 2gb and 5gb data ons) are great to put to use to supplement your plan data but if your needed data usage is showing that you will use more than 1gb of add on data per 30 days then consider upgrading your plan for the next few months that you will be without home WiFi. Add on data costs $15/1gb. Upgrading from the $40/5gb plan to the $50/10.5gb is more economical giving you 5.5gb more data for $10. You also get free calling to the US with the $50 plan.

If you choose to upgrade your plan schedule a change plan on next renewal. However there is a glitch that commonly happens when upgrading if you depend on autopay to pay for your renewal. More often than not autopay charges your current plan amount ($40) leaving your account short $10 to pay for the new $50 plan. As a result autopay fails and your account gets suspended for non payment.

To prevent this from happening its recommended you manually top up your account balance with your new plan amount ($50) before your renewal. Future renewals will be unaffected by this glitch. Once you know you will no longer need the extra plan data you can schedule a change plan on next renewal to a lower data plan. The glitch does not occur when downgrading your plan.

I hope this all helps!

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include in your private messaging only your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin

messenabout

That is absolutely great information. I understand I think everything you're saying. Quite the process though lol. I currently do not have Wi-Fi at home and that's the queries about using my data. I appreciate it a lot thank you.

messenabout

Oh that hurt that was my dog nipping me as he's playing right beside me and it kind of got me a little bit more than normal LOL

messenabout

When I look at my daddy usage on my public mobile page, the amount of data is different than what my phone shows. Could this be because of the of the four week plan and not the 30 day plan that obviously I don't keep up with? Oh that hurt

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@messenabout 

Since its recommended to use the same email for your community account as your self serve account it's likely that is what you have used to create your original community account. You can confirm this by trying to change this current community accounts email address in your profile's settings to the same one you have used to log into your self serve account. If you get a message telling you that the email is already registered with another community account then you know what email to enter to recover your username and reset the password. 

Both @softech  and @BKNS27 have explained  the difference between your plan data and add on data (bonus add ons or regular add ons work the same) but here is some info on managing your data usage.

Spoiler

Here is some more tips on data usage that can help you conserve data usage and/or find where high data usage is coming from.....

1. Turn your data saver on.*
  2. Set your data tracker to the correct calendar dates of your 30 day cycle.
  3. Set your data warning. ( I set mine to 25% of plan data**.)
  4. Set your data limiter. (I set mine to 50%.**)
  5. Turn off all background data in your app usage settings.***
  6. Set video content to play on wifi only ( or off altogether) in each individual app's settings.
  7. Turn off wifi assist for iPhone or the Android equivalent.
  8. For low data plans turn off mobile data and turn on when needed or to download MMS.
  9. Use free wifi when available.
  10. Double check that your phone is connected to wifi. Your phone can sometimes not automatically reconnect to wifi after rebooting, resetting or leaving/entering a wifi area.

*Android and iPhone's data saver tools work differently it is prudent to check settings in each phone's apps for such things as your photo app for device syncing, backing up etc.... Note: viewing or searching for backed up/stored photos can use considerable mobile data.

**Public Mobile sends out a text from 611 giving a warning at 75% and 95% of total data usage. If you have data add ons these warnings include both plan data and add on data.

**So if you just have 1gb of plan data you will get a warning at 756mb/1024mb and 973mb/1024mb. However if you have 1gb of plan data and a 5gb data add on (1024mb+5120mb=6144mb) these warnings will recieved at 4608mb/6144mb and 5837mb/6144mb respectively.

**This is why setting your data warning and limiter is important so that an errant app's sudden usage can be noticed and/or stopped by your phone's data usage tools rather than relying on pm's limited warnings system.

***Background data can use up to 38% of your data that is pure wastage.

Get in the habit of taking screenshots of your overview page and payment history before and after renewal for record keeping and checking that your data and/or limited minute/text counter resets.

To pre-verify your account include in your private messaging only your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@messenabout 

You should got an email from PM welcoming with your original account. You can conduct a search for this email and the email address you used, you can login to your account with this email then click Forgot Password. You will need to answer your security question.

If this fails, your will need to contact a CS_Agent to help  you to access your account.

The CS_Agent is available by SIMon Chatbot or private messaging on this Community page.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@messenabout 

The 5gb/30 days of data will used up first before the bonus data will used.

So in your account, you used up 1.376gb/5gb first then it will eat away the 1gb then the 2gb and 5gb.

On your next renewal, you will have 5gb at 3G. The bonus data will be carried over but once this 5gb is eaten up then it will go towards the 1gb, 2gb and 5gb.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@messenabout   Are you on the $40 plan?  According to the screenshot, you have 5GB of data per cycle (PM uses 30 days cycle and not monthly).  

Those 1GB Promo, 2GB one-time data bonus and 5GB one-time data bonus are bonus add-on, those bonus has no expiry.  Those bonus are all one time bonus, if you used them up, they will be gone.

For every cycle, PM will use your regular data first (the 5GB at 3G Speed).  If the regular bucket are all used up, it will then get the data from the bonus data.  Since bonus data has no expiration, those leftover bonus will roll over to the following month until all used up

For you account login issue, just a reminder, the My Account and Community are 2 different systems and use different logins

My Account uses your email address as the login

Community uses a username as the user id. 

If you have another Community account before, you can try to use Forgot username and password link in the Community login, enter the email address associated with the Community login to retrieve the login id of your other account.  PM will send you an email and the login id will be on the email itself.

Need Help? Let's chat.