cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cyber security

dwongkamachi
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, I just made a dumb mistake: I called a number that a scammer provided in an email sent to me, so now they have my phone number as well as email address. Anyone know what should I do now to protect my phone number moving forward? How can I  add an extra layer of security like a password or PIN number to my account? Thanks 

7 REPLIES 7

WoozyPolarBear
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Public Mobile also started using 2 Factor authentication. I am sent a text or email every time I try to log into my account. Most reputable services like banks, online streaming accounts, shopping sites provide this 2 Factor authentication nowadays. It's basically a must have security feature in this day and date. Also, invest in a password manager that syncs between your phone and computer, and make sure you use random and unique passwords for all your accounts. I also use Google Authenticator as a method of 2 Factor Authentication when possible. Google Authentication is an app that refreshes a security code every 30 seconds that syncs with major online account providers such as google, PlayStation, banks, etc.

WoozyPolarBear

I would just wait and see what happens. If you start getting a flood of spam calls, then I would request a new number. Same with my email, I would change that too if you get too many spam emails, although most scam emails are filtered out by Gmail, outlook, apple etc. Public Mobile is my secondary phone number, the one that I use for all commercial correspondence. I only give out my main number to friends, work, and trusted businesses like my doctor or insurance company. I do the same with my email. I use a burner Gmail account for all commercial sites, and keep my personal email for trusted contacts. I recommend this strategy for everyone, given the status of solicitation and scams in today's world. Keep your personal information personal, and use burner accounts for commercial stuff.

Alexandf

@dwongkamachi 

change number if like to or ignore and move on.for 4 digit PIN number you can change at your account in profile.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@dwongkamachi   Depends how long you've had the number and how important it is to you?  If you don't care too much, then log into your self serve account and click Profile (left hand side of page) and then Change Number by entering your city or one closest.  The list can be refreshed if you don't see a number you like at first.  PM permits 4 number changes for free per 30 days.

Of course, you'd also need to notify family/friends and banks and others if you decide to change numbers.  Kinda of a hassle for sure.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi @dwongkamachi if you want to be really safe, changr the email addresses associated with your PM  My Account.  But to do so, you will have to contact PM CS agent and they are the only one able to help

Also, you might also want to change the email associated with your Bank and Google or Apple , assuming they use the email you just gave away

To contact PM cs agent:

to open ticket with CS Agent:

at : https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot. Follow this to get to ticket open screen quicker:

1. start by typing : Contact CS Agent
  2. then Click "Contact Us"
  3. then Click "Other"
  4. finally Click "Click here to submit a ticket"
    you will then direct to another page to open ticket.

After ticket is submitted, make sure to check your Community Inbox(top right corner envelope icon) periodically for response from PM's CS Agent

If you have problems submitting a ticket, you can also send a private message to the CS Agent (but this can take longer):
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

@dwongkamachi wrote:

Hi, I just made a dumb mistake: I called a number that a scammer provided in an email sent to me, so now they have my phone number as well as email address. Anyone know what should I do now to protect my phone number moving forward? How can I  add an extra layer of security like a password or PIN number to my account? Thanks 

While you're aware that you shouldn't have provided that information, the person can't do anything with that information by itself. your best protection is a good password.

Need Help? Let's chat.