cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change and adding a plan

Hodgie
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My son has a PM $10 plan (no longer available).  I would like to transfer my phone (on Bell) to his plan and he would like to upgrade to the $15 plan.  I don't know where to start or even if this can be done.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

18 REPLIES 18

@shimdog wrote:

You can port your phone number to public mobile but you will not be able to get the $10 plan because as you pointed out, it is no longer available for new customers. In this case, you would be a new customer. Of course, if you didn't mind taking your son's phone number you could just use his SIM card.

@shimdog   Actually OP can port in their Bell number to the son's $10 plan, however, that means the son's number will be lost by that action and probably almost impossible to retrieve when activating a new account.   

But if the son isn't too bothered about losing his current number, then it really wouldn't be a problem as he can activate a new account with a new number and OP will also be able to use the RAF code from the $10 plan for the new account to offset the cost of a new PM SIM.

shimdog
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

You can port your phone number to public mobile but you will not be able to get the $10 plan because as you pointed out, it is no longer available for new customers. In this case, you would be a new customer. Of course, if you didn't mind taking your son's phone number you could just use his SIM card.

@Hodgie 

How important is your son's phone number? Is his phone number originally a telus/koodo/PM number? If so there is a small possibility of getting it back or alternatively if your bell number was originally a telus/koodo pm number but that is probably unlikely.

If your son's number isn't important then just port your number into his account and activate a new account for your son. If you would like to get his number back and it's a "telus family" number before porting your number in contact customer support and ask if they will retrieve your son's number once released to be put on the new activation's account. Expect a "No can't be done." But it has been done recently for the odd customer so it can't hurt to ask. ( Especially if you activate on a higher plan.**)

If customer support says no then the only other option is waiting normally 30 to 90 days for the number to be released from the number holding pool. ( But it would be wise to check daily right away just in case it gets released sooner than expected) Then every morning when new numbers get released you check in the change number feature in your son's account for the phone number to become available. (You can identify the area to search for it by finding it on the website I will post the link to....will edit this post to add it once I find the link.)

Then you just have to switch back and forth between your search area ie. Vancouver and another ie. Surrey to continue to refresh the 5 phone numbers offered. With diligence and a little luck you may be able to capture the phone number when it's released and just change the number at that time.

Hopefully luck is on your side....and the CSA will bend pm's policy to help you otherwise best of luck if you choose to go this route.

**Activate on say a $50 plan and maybe the CSA would be more willing to bend the policy. I will send you a private message on how to maximize savings on upcoming holiday promotions to eventually schedule a change plan on next renewal to the $15 plan.

Edit:

https://www.npanxxsource.com/area-code-lookup.html

@hairbag1 wrote:

@Hodgie wrote:

My son has a PM $10 plan (no longer available).  I would like to transfer my phone (on Bell) to his plan and he would like to upgrade to the $15 plan.  I don't know where to start or even if this can be done.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Long as your phone is unlocked and PM compatible..just put his sim in your phone.

Then he can use self-serve to upgrade plan as desired.

I misunderstood your question...just ignore me !!  🤐

Hey @hairbag1 

I misunderstood a question yesterday too.

Does that mean we're both geniuses?? 😂🤣

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Hodgie   It seems one of you (you or your son) will have to give up their number, so if you want to keep the $10 plan since it's been grandfathered in, then port your number to that one and open a new account for the $15 plan for your son.

You'll need to decide who's number or plan is the most important one for either one.  However, it's too bad that PM won't allow some sort of workaround to accommodate both options.  Sorry..

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pkaraa : Unless people are signing NDA'S after getting that exception...it's not allowed by policy and I haven't read of success.

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Anonymous  Lol.

I read it 

1. It has been mentioned in the first post that $10 plan is no longer available.

2. It has been mentioned in the replies already that it is not possible to retain that plan on to a new number. 

3. It is upto the favor from support agents to swap the plan to new number.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pkaraa : The OP has said that they want to keep the $10 plan. Their intentions for what they have and what they want to do are not possible.

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Your son: if he want to give up the old plan, he can in 'My account' page. He ll keep the loyalty rewards.

For you :

If your phone is unlocked then you can port your Bell number to PM easily. Normal procedure of replying to authorization text with a 'YES' and done. After opting for the current available plans, you are good.

P.S. once changed ... your $10 is gone.

Hodgie

Yes...you got it.  Thanks for your patience and answer.  I guess I'll just leave it the way it is.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Hodgie : I interpret your intentions as that you want your old Bell _number_ on the old $10 plan. And to keep the number that was on it originally and move it over to an account on the $15 plan.

While yes technically the company can do anything but this idea goes against policy.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

1. Let him upgrade from old $10 to current $15 plan first.

1.1 Schedule plan change on next renewal. Do not do 'change plan immediately'.

2. To my understanding you want to transfer YOUR Bell phone number to HIS plan.

2.1. When his plan changes to $15 plan, initiate PORTing of your number.

2.2. Click on Change number link while logged in into HIS PM account.

Meow_0-1635356897613.png

then

Meow_1-1635356935814.png

After initiating PORting, leave YOUR SIM card in your phone! Within 90 minutes you will receive SMS to confirm transfer. Answer YES and porting will be initiated. Within few hours HIS phone will have YOUR number active.

If porting fails from whatever reason, come back to Community and guys will provide you with phone number to call to resolve porting issues.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Hodgie 

check your device for Public Mobile uses the following frequency bands:

• 4G LTE and LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS).
  • HSPA: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS).

Eligibility Check if your existing number is eligible to move visit Here link 

Make sure that you have the old SIM card in your phone when you're porting your number. You should get a SMS message from your old carrier asking to confirm if you would like to port your number. Your reply should be: YES.

The confirmation message can take a few minutes to come in. You have 90 minutes from the time of request.

and Here How To Activate Online visit Here link  for more information,

Activate your Public Mobile SIM card

You'll be up and running in just 4 easy steps, Here link 

*and click Here link  to you know how to Change Your Plan online,

@Hodgie wrote:

I want to keep my Bell number with the $10 plan.  He will keep his number with a new plan.  Is that possible?

No, This cannot be done. They stopped helping to swap numbers between 2 plans for some time.

I suggest you just port  your Bell number into PM first with the $15 plan.   Once ported completed, you can try to open a ticket with PM and see if they are willing to do you a favour.  Again, this is technically a No, but you can try your luck

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Hodgie : No.

Hodgie

I want to keep my Bell number with the $10 plan.  He will keep his number with a new plan.  Is that possible?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Hodgie : Your intentions aren't 100% clearly written but you can transfer in a number and you can upgrade the plan. But the old number will be gone and of course that account won't be able to go back to the $10 plan.

Edit: yup. that's another interpretation. 🙂 I had interpreted that you wanted the _number_ from Bell.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Hodgie wrote:

Long as your phone is unlocked and PM compatible..just put his sim in your phone.

Then he can use self-serve to upgrade plan as desired.

I misunderstood your question...just ignore me !!  🤐

Need Help? Let's chat.