cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot verify identity on Whatsapp with my new phone number

Timothé
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I received my SIM with new number 5 days ago. I have been trying since then to install Whatsapp on my iphone. However Whatsapp cannot send me the confirmation code via SMS. Message says "we can't send you the SMS, I need to verify your number and try again in 1 hour." If I try the Call me option, it is the same. "we can't call your number, you need to verify your number and try again in 1 hour."

What can I do ? Anything to help me out please ?

thanks

18 REPLIES 18

on2wheels
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I believe the FAQ in the app says you can use any phone with your sim that will accept sms codes to activate whatsapp on your new phone.

on2wheels

I was able to get it working, so I updated my post from 3 weeks ago but if you follow the FAQ in the app, and wait the two minutes after asking for a sms code then say try another way and request a call, your phone should ring with an automated message with the code that should work.  That's how I did it.

Astr1d
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This an old unresolved thread but, before I open a new one want to confirm there’s no solution.

I opened a ticket three days ago and may need to change carriers as I need wapp, thanks.

abbytreasures1

Did anyone find a solution?  We have tried everything - using a different phone, different days, uninstalling / reinstalling, asking WhatsApp for support (they have given up) - Keep getting the same error of "we cannot send a text/call to your number".  This phone number is one we received from PM when we signed up a few years ago.  I need to use WhatsApp for work but cannot install it.

on2wheels

I recently got an iphone and had whatsapp on my android working perfectly.  I used whatsapp on android to delete my account before using the iphone.  

1. on iphone installed whatsapp, try to activate: cannot send sms code.

2. try to use "call me option", does not work on iphone.

3. reattempt above two steps multiple times over 2 days.

4. reinstall whatsapp on android, activate number, sms is sent to the iphone that still does not activate iphone but does activate android.

5. used whatsapp to activate the iphone as "companion device". (this is not a solution, it needs to be primary)

I attempted to contact whatsapp support about this and they direct me to the FAQ that does not solve the sms code issue nor does it address how to make a new phone a primary device and not a companion.

Is this a carrier problem?

edit May 15 2024: tried again, the SMS code will not send to the iphone, wait 2 minutes, tap try another way and call me, phone rings, automated message gives me the code and I was able to activate. Sheesh, what kind of mess will I have when I change back to Android.?

satisssss

@Timothé  hope it worked now, if not tried you can try now.

satisssss

I got new no, it got worked after 3 days. I checked with customer care and they said this as it would take some time to update setting for new sim

Jack181818

I did as you said but no call at all

satisssss

@Timothé Is the issue solved?

@Jack181818 @Timothé 

did you wait the 5 minutes and try the Call me functions??

If you didn't receive the 6-digit code by SMS

Wait for the five-minute timer to finish counting down.

Don't edit your number during this time.

If the timer runs out before you receive the code, tap Call Me.

Jack181818

I have the same problem

HI @Timothé 

so, this is a new number you picked from PM and so you need to create a new account with Whatsapp?

i checked other post, people have to email Whatsapp for help, but don't expect to get the same day reply

Timothé

Thanks but unfortunately Whatsapp cannot call me on my number. Same as for the sms, they don't seem to be able to use my number.

Timothé

I did but unfortunately it did not solve anything. Thanks

Timothé

Yes I have the option to receive the phone call but when I try this, I get a we cannot call your number... same problem as sms in fact. Thanks

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Timothé 

My American TextNow number (SIM) on WhatsApp on my iPhone 8 I had the 2FA by calling. I didn’t want to pay for the upgrade plan for short/2FA code sent by text. Try again later.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@Timothé 

is that a number you ported in from another carrier? if it is , it might take 1 or 2 more days for all the text to come

and, does Whatsapp give you the option to receive the phone call to validate? I remember it has such option

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Timothé  Delete the  whats app and reinstall it see if that helps 

Need Help? Let's chat.