cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot receive incoming calls from a specific EXCHANGE

Nadinec
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello. I cannot receive incoming calls from a specific exchange (709-269.....). It is my hometowns exchange and cannot get any calls from anyone calling from this area. I can call them, but when they call me,  goes straight to my voicemail. Please help. Been since I switched to P.M. and ported my number.

19 REPLIES 19

Nadinec

Thanks so much 

@DeltaNumaris wrote:

I noticed the part of your situation that might be the problem.

You hooked up you Public Mobile Phone before moving.

When you moved (I assume you moved to a different Region), you kept your old Phone Number.

This would mean you have to pay Roaming Charges to use the same number.

(Personally I think this would make you broke, not stop incoming calls)

My question is: "Did you keep the number to Avoid Long Distance Calls?"

Because in Public Mobile Self Serve you can change your phone number to your New Area Code.

Your friends would have to pay long distance but you would no longer be Roaming and I think incoming calls would work.

Please note that this is not correct. Moving to a different region within Canada isn't considered roaming. Telus/Public Mobile has a network across the entire country. Further, Public Mobile does not even allow roaming within Canada, never mind roaming charges.  Public Mobile doesn't have any pay-per-use charges - for anything.   Roaming is the act of using your phone on a another network. It isn't realated to your current location (within Canada) or the area of the phone number that you have.

Even on some old province-wide Public Mobile plans that are no longer offered, it does not matter where in Canada a customer answers a call. It makes no difference.  Public Mobile does not charge for this long distance (even if you go to a different province), and as I said before, Public Mobile does not charge for anything on a per-use basis.

Yes, people calling someone else does possibily have to pay for long distance, but that's dependent on the other person's carrier and plan. This isn't related to roaming.

As for keeping a number to avoid long distance,  the number of this Public Mobile customer makes no difference when it comes to the costs of calls for this customer (the OP of this thread).  The number could be from Vancouver, Toronto, Yellowknife, Montreal, Chartlottetown, or any other city and it would all be the same.

DeltaNumaris
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I noticed the part of your situation that might be the problem.

You hooked up you Public Mobile Phone before moving.

When you moved (I assume you moved to a different Region), you kept your old Phone Number.

This would mean you have to pay Roaming Charges to use the same number.

(Personally I think this would make you broke, not stop incoming calls)

My question is: "Did you keep the number to Avoid Long Distance Calls?"

Because in Public Mobile Self Serve you can change your phone number to your New Area Code.

Your friends would have to pay long distance but you would no longer be Roaming and I think incoming calls would work.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious :CNAC:

z10user4_0-1623979915954.png

@Nadinec 

Whoops! Sorry about the porting mistake....which provider operates that exchange? Give them a call and find out you can't recieve calls and why when I looked it up it is displayed as not available.

@Nadinec....did you try the suggested steps provided by @Nezgar  ?

Try it and see if that works.

Let us know.

Nadinec

Hi. I've been with PM for 4 months now. All other exchanges can call me besides that one. Its landline exchange too.

Nadinec

Thats a landline exchange. They call me from their home phone numbers. 

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@Nadinec wrote:

Hello. I cannot receive incoming calls from a specific exchange (709-269.....). It is my hometowns exchange and cannot get any calls from anyone calling from this area. I can call them, but when they call me,  goes straight to my voicemail. Please help. Been since I switched to P.M. and ported my number.

Just in case the symptoms you are describing are not porting related, there is another issue lately in eastern/atlantic Canada where calls go to voicemail if you have LTE enabled. Disable LTE (3G only aka HSPA, WCDMA) on your phone until the network issue is resolved as a workaround, see if you are able to receive calls reliably again...

@Nadinec wrote:

Is the number your trying to port in actually from Greenspond, NL?  If so, and others have pointed out, sorry, but you cannot port your number to Public Mobile.  I'm curious when you stated that people using that specific exchange can't call you.  Nobody should be able to call you.  To receive your calls, you'll need to keep using your old carrier's SIM card. The reason people are hearing your voicemail greating is because the calls are going to your old carrier.

As for your Public Mobile service, your only options are to take a new phone number from a different city or to simply stop paying so that your Public Mobile service doesn't renew 30 days after your activation.  Please note that refunds are not available and if you choose to take a phone number from a different city, it might be a long distance call for the outgoing caller to contact you.

@darlicious wrote:

@Nadinec 

Uh oh.....according to this list its unavailable to port to telus/koodo/pm. Double check it at the following link....

https://secure.koodomobile.com/checktransfereligibilityparrot/default.do?lang=en&appname=otherportal

You will have to get a temporary number from the moderators while you decide if you want to lose your number or not. Unfortunately this happens more frequently in your province because of telus' lack of presence in exchange ownership compared to other providers,

Screenshot_20210616-170318.png

You're right that a number from Greenspond can't be ported to Public Mobile, but the image that you've posted doesn't give any indication of that.

yes, OP mentioned can't receive calls from 709-269, not sure if OP is porting in such number or not...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nadinec : But what is the area code - prefix of the number you tried to port in? Is it also 709-269?

@Nadinec 

Uh oh.....according to this list its unavailable to port to telus/koodo/pm. Double check it at the following link....

https://secure.koodomobile.com/checktransfereligibilityparrot/default.do?lang=en&appname=otherportal

You will have to get a temporary number from the moderators while you decide if you want to lose your number or not. Unfortunately this happens more frequently in your province because of telus' lack of presence in exchange ownership compared to other providers,

Screenshot_20210616-170318.png

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Nadinec wrote:

@Nadinec 

Try one or more of the below:

*turn off your phone, leave off for a minutes, then reboot

*removing your SIM for a few minutes, then reinserting it

*go into airplane mode for a few minutes, then going back to regular mode

*reset network settings

*try your SIM into another phone and see if the calls can be received

If your Community join date is close to your activation date than this is not a porting issue.

I don't feel this is a Moderator intervention issue, but if no trouble shooting is working contact the Moderators to inquire.

To contact the Public Mobile Moderator_Team, there are two methods to reach them:

1 -  Faster - Click the bubble comment circle on the bottom right-hand side of your screen,

or use this link to: Get Help With SIMon the Public Mobile chatbot

OR

2 – Slower - Use this link to:

Private Message to Public Mobile Moderators (PM Customer Service Representatives)

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Nadinec 

Porting phone numbers can be a complex process.  Test your old service - that should stop working once the port process has been authorized AND may take an additional 2-3 hours.  To confirm, have you confirmed/authorized the number transfer?

If receiving calls from other areas are working, then your account may have a problem.  Sometimes things are glitchy and accounts aren't "provisioned" properly.  If that's the case, you'll need to contact a Moderator (staff).  Go through the SIMon chatbot (chat bubble, lower-right corner) to open a Ticket, or you can message them here too.

Let us know any other details and how it goes!  🙂

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Nadinec   how long have you been with PM? Did you port your number?

If you are new to PM and ported your number over, some providers, usually those VoIP providers,  will take longer to find out your new "home" to route the calls correctly.    So, it is possible that this is not be an Exchange issue but a provider issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nadinec : Do you get calls from other places? Can you ask them to call you by direct dialing rather than maybe through contacts?

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Nadinec wrote:

so how long has it been since you ported ?

Continue using the old sim for now until it stops working.

Need Help? Let's chat.